Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Configure-it-yourself VPS plans
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Configure-it-yourself VPS plans

DamianDamian Member
edited July 2012 in Providers

We're getting close to releasing custom VPS packages. You'll be able to use a slider to select how much ram/disk/bandwidth/IPs you want.

Due to the way the Solus module works, they will have to be manually provisioned, however, we're "here" for sales for about 18 hours a day.

How important is instant provisioning to you? Would you be able to tolerate manual provisioning to get the exact resources you want?

OR: There's a way to make it do automatic provisioning, but it prevents the memory from being granular on a single-digit level. Would you like being able to select your disk/bandwidth/IPs if your ram were selected from a drop-down box? I'd probably make the RAM divided by 16mb.

Comments

• Option to have our own package is nice :)
    Some place I've tried is less than 3 hours :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

18 hours a day for each or take turns ? If each, then it is IPX(hard)core.
    M

Thanked by 2Amfy ipxadam
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited July 2012

http://www.whmcsslider.com/ ? I think I got license for that... If not I was planning into getting one and integrating it with my new site, but the thing that bothers me is the manual setup..

• DamianDamian Member

@Maounique said: 18 hours a day for each or take turns ? If each, then it is IPX(hard)core.

There's 3 of us, and all of our "awake" times overlap from about 3am to 10pm. We're all on-call 24/7 for issues otherwise.

@LiquidHost said: http://www.whmcsslider.com/ ? I think I got license for that... If not I was planning into integrating it with my new site, but the thing that bothers me is the manual setup..

It's not that, it's the one that comes free with WHMCS.

• TazTaz Member

Whmcs already offers configurable option selection. using the regular configurable option. Nothing difficult. only issue, solus will not create package from whmcs. Manual Slave labour. Si Necesita mexicano's amigo! :P

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Damian said: It's not that, it's the one that comes free with WHMCS.

Never knew there is a one that comes free xD

Anyway, I usually get orders for custom quotes via emails. In my opinion the clients don't mind waiting a couple of hours for custom servers.

• DamianDamian Member

Updated original post with another idea that makes it automatic provision but not able to directly select your memory value.

• TaylorTaylor Member

@Damian I hope you use your 32MB package as a base for this option (:

• KairusKairus Member

@Damian said: if your ram were selected from a drop-down box? I'd probably make the RAM divided by 16mb.

That sounds like a good option. Most people are going to stick to the standard 32, 64, 96, 128, 192, etc.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Damian said: Updated original post with another idea that makes it automatic provision but not able to directly select your memory value.

Yeah the dropdown idea should work great.

• TazTaz Member

@Damian You can offer backup vps with that sorta option. Typically, lower memory + higher resource doesn't work together for average web usage and the vice versa applies as well.

manual provisioning makes it very flexible in choosing the node. Someone needs a lot of space, a little cpu and ram ? Put it on a server where io is low and cpu hammered, for example. Live migration will allow for specializing in this market.
    I hope one day every host will offer something special, and plans wont be comparable on just 10-15 criteria only, with epic reviews spanning 3-4 posts :)
    M

• Dont make this mistake. Its a huge cash loss

@DanielM said: Dont make this mistake. Its a huge cash loss

I think it depends. I am willing to pay a premium for that.
    I.e. space 1 dollar, ram 1 dollar, cpu 1 dollar, bw 1 dollar of the standard plan.
    I want double bw but half space, cpu and ram. Normal price 3.5 dollars, but i am ok with 4.
    If they make a scheme to put this in practice, could be a good way to get customers and manage resources.
    It is not easy, but can be done. Who does this will discover the holy graal.
    M

• flyfly Member

what if you made a slider, and then each possible config is a specific ID, which pipes into solus to create the specified plan. I know it's hacky, but it's definitely better than manual provision...

edited July 2012

Look at this suggestion:
    Put a minimal plan like the 32 ram one, then sliders with double the cost for each resource that is in demand, and the cost price of the resource which is not in demand.
    It should work out well. Further tweaks are possible also.
    If you are to provision manually, at least make the most of it. A good economist can do a model if you have lots of records, determine cost per resource and the value of each unit for the market. We should get out of the amateurish hosting and start the scientific era :)
    M

• PatsPats Member

@kbar said: pipes into solus to create the specified plan

+1
    http://wiki.solusvm.com/API:Admin

• DamianDamian Member

@DanielM said: Dont make this mistake. Its a huge cash loss

Can you give more input on this?

@kbar said: what if you made a slider, and then each possible config is a specific ID, which pipes into solus to create the specified plan. I know it's hacky, but it's definitely better than manual provision...

12288000000 possible configs if I left the RAM slider at 1 MB increment.. I don't think I want to deal with that many configs :X

I wouldnt go with the automatic and let the machine decide where to provision.
    I mean, it can be automated, but the machine will need an extremely complicated algorithm to provision taking into consideration the load on each machine and resources.
    It is possible, but if they can do it manually, better set the price at the sliders first.
    M

• Something like this @Damian? http://tailoredvps.com/

• DamianDamian Member
    edited July 2012

@Maounique said: I wouldnt go with the automatic and let the machine decide where to provision.

I mean, it can be automated, but the machine will need an extremely complicated algorithm to provision taking into consideration the load on each machine and resources.
    It is possible, but if they can do it manually, better set the price at the sliders first.
    M

That's actually what I was learning towards, too. Then it also lets me review each order for things like 10 megabytes of ram, 500gb disk space, and 8 gigabytes of transfer. Then I can contact them and ask are you suuuuuuure?

And if people want immediate gratification, the "regular" plans will still be available and still be auto-provision. This isn't intended to replace our current plans.

• DamianDamian Member

Yes, but not as structured. Want 163mb of ram, with 229 gigabytes of ram and 306 gigabytes of transfer? We can do that.

• flyfly Member

@damian you shouldn't allow 1MB increments. how are you going to budget your RAM?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2012

I have seen some "configure it yourself" offers, typically those are completely uninteresting compared to "prebuilt" plans from other providers. Because as soon as you select all the specs to match some other provider's prebuilt plan, it turns out you'll have to pay 2x more than with the other provider. Or something like that.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • DamianDamian Member

@kbar said: @damian you shouldn't allow 1MB increments. how are you going to budget your RAM?

Not sure what you mean by budget my ram?

Additionally, running into a problem there. We sell RAM for $1 per 128mb, which would be $0.0078125 per megabyte, but WHMCS won't accept values of less than $0.01...

• DamianDamian Member

@rm_ said: I have seen some "configure it yourself" offers, typically those are completely uninteresting compared to "prebuilt" plans from other providers. Because as soon as you select all the specs to match some other provider's prebuilt plan, it turns out you'll have to pay 2x more than with the other provider. Or something like that.

I've seen these too, and i'm not sure why. Ours will be on the same price point as plans.

• KuroKuro Member

@Damian said: Want 163mb of ram, with 229 gigabytes of ram and 306 gigabytes of transfer? We can do that.

:O

@Damian said: Additionally, running into a problem there. We sell RAM for $1 per 128mb, which would be $0.0078125 per megabyte, but WHMCS won't accept values of less than $0.01...

Why not increments of 8MB?

• DamianDamian Member

Oops, that's not going to work!

@Kuro said: Why not increments of 8MB?

It requires me to copy/paste a line manually for each value. I did about 4 of them with 16mb of ram and thought it was crap then. Might only do 16mb increments up to 256mb, then switch to 128mb increments

• DamianDamian Member

Need to figure out how to do configurable options for less-than-1-cent per each.

• I'm ok with this.