Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Updating
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Updating

IxapeIxape Member
edited October 2011 in General

Just wondering - how often do you run an update on your LEBs? E.g. run a 'apt-get upgrade'.

Comments

• Every time I ssh in? Just habit.

• I have a cron job that runs once a day which

• Runs apt-get -qq update to pull all the updates
    • Runs apt-get -Vqs upgrade to fake an upgrade, which would list out what packages are out-dated.
    • If there's any out-dated packages, email me so I know that I need to log in to perform an actual apt-get upgrade
    Thanked by 2Asim Deor
  • jhjh Member

I have yum -y update on a daily cron.

• I use yum-updatesd to get notification whenever there is an update

• I like to do the upgrades all manually on every single VPS and Dedicated box -O_

• @LowEndAdmin I dislike running anything that messes with an OS automatically. I want to see if errors are going by.

• @drmike
    read again :)

@LowEndAdmin said: If there's any out-dated packages, email me so I know that I need to log in to perform an actual apt-get upgrade

• I do... apt-get dist-upgrade n_n

• Fairly similar to LEA's setup. Though I've got a single VPS that collaborates the results from everything else (along with other checks) and gives me reports to go over in the evenings.

• LowEndAdmin said: apt-get -Vqs upgrade

What does this do exactly? :)

• I don't update often :X

• @camarg read it again yourself. How do I know if it's really working unless I see it happening? How do I know if the apt-get runs correctly?

• I use Ubuntu so I have unattended-upgrades configured. It emails me when there are upgrades available (apticron package) and then perform an upgrades and email me the results. NAGIOS monitor also monitors for available updates and if they are security updates (critical) OR normal updates (warning)

• And again how do you know that you're receiving all of your emails? Or it's picking up all of the updates. From your statement @Asim, you only get the email if everything works.

• Well, no system is fail proof but this is how I know I am getting my emails

I have nagios monitors on every node, it monitors for disk, http, mail server, ssh etc and even the mail queue. So the emails are in good position

I login and check VPS when things are not working as per my nagios farm (not one installation but three ... one HOME, other DE, third US)

• Three of my nodes are now 400days+, and this works for me :)

I cannot do manual because I have approx 30+ VMs :D dont have time to login to each and everyone of them unless there is an issue

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@drmike - every time to you login via ssh? Is it in your .profile? :-)

• tuxtux Member

drmike said: How do I know if the apt-get runs correctly?

You can simulate upgrade with -s parameter.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited October 2011

@Ixape said: LowEndAdmin said: apt-get -Vqs upgrade

What does this do exactly? :)

¬_¬ RTFM

• drmike said: And again how do you know that you're receiving all of your emails? Or it's picking up all of the updates. From your statement @Asim, you only get the email if everything works.

The same can be said of -any- application or script. This is why testing exists, no?

• This is why doing it yourself exists, no?

Fixed.

And just because testing works doesn't mean it's going to work when done in real. I would have thought all those Mythbusters episodes where the small scale works and the full size test blows up would have taught folks that by now.

And what's wrong with my .profile?

# ~/.profile: executed by Bourne-compatible login shells.

if [ "$BASH" ]; then
      if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
        . ~/.bashrc
      fi
    fi

mesg n

• drmike said: Fixed.

Not quite. Doing something yourself doesn't guarantee accuracy or perfection. Just ask AlienVPS about what happens when you run your own untested code on a router.

drmike said: And just because testing works doesn't mean it's going to work when done in real.

Testing between identical environments is not the same as testing to scale. Regardless, your statement is a bit nonsensical there. If testing doesn't work... what you do you? Deploy and pray?

• If testing doesn't work, you fix it. :)

And I only pray for my ex.