Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VULTR begins charging VAT for european customers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VULTR begins charging VAT for european customers

VikingLayerVikingLayer Member
edited February 2015 in Providers

Got this e-mail from them just now.

Attention all EU customers,

Under the new European Union Value Added Tax rules being implemented in 2015, Vultr.com is required to begin collection of VAT for European Union customers. VAT will apply to all existing and new services effective 01 March 2015. VAT will not apply to any services prior to that date. The VAT rate charged will be the rate of the country you reside in. For your country of residence, the current VAT rate is 25%. Please make sure your country information is accurate to avoid incorrect rates being applied to your account.

If you have a Valid VAT registration, you may enter it on the settings page:

https://my.vultr.com/settings/

Additional information is available in our FAQ:

https://www.vultr.com/faq/#vat

-- Vultr Operations Team --

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

said: Vultr.com is required to begin collection of VAT

And so it begins.

Thanked by 1perennate
  • DennisDDennisD Member
    edited February 2015

Fuck the EU. What about DO?

• VikingLayerVikingLayer Member
    edited February 2015

@DennisD said:
    Fuck the EU. What about DO?

Yeah, I am also wondering when the big guys are joining in. I guess they will try to avoid it for as long as they can.

• All providers who sell into Europe will have to do the same.

dediserve said: All providers who sell into Europe will have to do the same.

In theory, in practice, well, that is debatable, at least in the short term.

Thanked by 1tux
  • Fuck this. I guess its time to move. Any alternatives?

n0my said: Fuck this. I guess its time to move. Any alternatives?

Depends what alternative means. Saw some people using fake companies with real VAT IDs, also you can always go east instead of west, the russians don't f-ing care, same are south asia fox, australia, south america, not like you are bound to US or EU.

Thanked by 1n0my
  • LeeLee Veteran

DO have said they have "no plans" as yet to charge VAT but that may well change, so you should at least work on the assumption that at some point you will need to VAT regardless of the provider in the medium to long term.

In the short term, it will be spotty in terms of who will/wont start charging.

Thanked by 1n0my
  • I still don't get it. Where will they pay the taxes they collect?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@kerouac said:
    I still don't get it. Where will they pay the taxes they collect?

To the countries in EU.

• @mikho said:
    To the countries in EU.

So US companies have to send tax payment to every damn seperate country now?

This is really weird. Why is the US allowing this? What does WTO think about this. It's really odd.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@kerouac said:
    This is really weird. Why is the US allowing this? What does WTO think about this. It's really odd.

Every EU country and so do we. As the new laws from Jan 1st.

• The sooner the Marxist EU is destroyed, the better.

• Saw some people using fake companies with real VAT IDs

Yeah, some implementations to adhere to these new rules are pretty bad.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited February 2015

@lars said:
    The sooner the Marxist EU is destroyed, the better.

lol

• larslars Member
    edited February 2015

@tr1cky said:
    lol

It's not funny for anyone living in Europe being affected.

• @lars said:
    It's not funny for anyone living in Europe being affected.

I'm from Europe and I don't know which country you're from but there's no communism here.

Thanked by 1berkay
  • ChuckChuck Member
    edited February 2015

Is this the reason why so many terrorism in the European lately?

Hopefully the government can use the small business tax to stop the terror attacks?

• You silly americans saying paying VAT are bad, i don't have any problem with it as i'm used already to paying vat for my goods :)

• So will they charge VAT on deposits, hourly billing or end of month invoice?

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited February 2015

@TheRedFox said:
    You silly americans saying paying VAT are bad, i don't have any problem with it as i'm used already to paying vat for my goods :)

Do you mean European people love to pay VAT? I guess your government should increase the % tax?

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited February 2015

hostnoob said: So will they charge VAT on deposits, hourly billing or end of month invoice?

It will be applied on invoice at the end of the month.

Chuck said: Is this the reason why so many terrorism in the European lately?

Hopefully the government can use the small business tax to stop the terror attacks?

Cannot accurately determine whether your comment is serious right now. Please wait whilst me and my team run it through the idiot-o-meter.

EDIT: Results are in.

Thanked by 3ricardo switsys Leechum
  • kerouac said: So US companies have to send tax payment to every damn seperate country now?

If you sell servers in Germany to customers in Germany your will have to make your customers pay VAT in Germany. Otherwise every company ever could get around VAT laws by jsut operating from "offshore".

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • gsrdgrdghd said: Otherwise every company ever could get around VAT laws by jsut operating from "offshore"

Ding, that actually still works.

Thanked by 2Maounique TarZZ92
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited February 2015

Also for already added funds?

• It's at the point of sale, 'funds' should never be affected.

• @TheRedFox said:
    You silly americans saying paying VAT are bad, i don't have any problem with it as i'm used already to paying vat for my goods :)

Do you own a business? We don't have the problem paying OUR taxes in the UNITED STATES. We are now having to pay UNITED STATES TAX AND VAT. ...EU companies aren't paying US taxes are they?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Just to add some context to this whole VAT Mess for everyone.

As of today only 6800 companies in the entire EU have registered for the VAT Moss system, there has been no unusual increase in the amount of registrations per state and there are just under 500 non-EU companies that have registered.

by the EU's own figures this represents less than 1% of the expected number, now Ansnip is revisiting the entire thing, I expect it to change, be delayed, or scrapped, there is significant pressure (with these figures to back it up) that it is actually ruining the single digital market and creating an imbalance in competition which is exactly the opposite of what they wanted it to do (or at least that was the pretty face they used to cover it under).

This whole thing is like that BS cookie law the UK tried to force on people, it was ignored to the point that they scrapped it as it was never enforceable.

Thanked by 2deadbeef Oliver
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    Just to add some context to this whole VAT Mess for everyone.

As of today only 6800 companies in the entire EU have registered for the VAT Moss system, there has been no unusual increase in the amount of registrations per state and there are just under 500 non-EU companies that have registered.

by the EU's own figures this represents less than 1% of the expected number, now Ansnip is revisiting the entire thing, I expect it to change, be delayed, or scrapped, there is significant pressure (with these figures to back it up) that it is actually ruining the single digital market and creating an imbalance in competition which is exactly the opposite of what they wanted it to do (or at least that was the pretty face they used to cover it under).

This whole thing is like that BS cookie law the UK tried to force on people, it was ignored to the point that they scrapped it as it was never enforceable.

That is some good news to hear! Maybe at the end it will be scrapped and all these companies can keep/pocket the 20% :p

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • you should come to Malaysia. the people here love VAT / GST .. they said it is good for government, we the people need to sacrifice for government for better future.

Thanked by 2deadbeef budi1413