Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RAM usage test for minimal Linux distributions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RAM usage test for minimal Linux distributions

I own tiny VPS with ramnode (128MB) so I was curious what distro would be the best for this low-end VPS. I tested their minimal distributions and here is the result:

ramusage

Full post about how I tested is here

Thanked by 3vpsGOD souvarine Cakey

Comments

• nice work !

Thanked by 1ckissi
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Already seen 8MB Debian minimal templates at LES boxes.

• @Infinity580 said:
    Already seen 8MB Debian minimal templates at LES boxes.

can you provide link please ?

• @ckissi said:
    can you provide link please ?

http://www.lowendspirit.com/

Thanked by 1ckissi
  • 503 Service Unavailable :(

• @ckissi said:
    503 Service Unavailable :(

http://lowendspirit.com/

Thanked by 1ckissi
  • @ckissi said:
    503 Service Unavailable :(

http://lowendspirit.com/index.html

Thanked by 1ckissi
  • my LowEndSpirit with Debian 6 32 Bit

Thanked by 1ckissi
  • CentOS/yum can be a pain on a smaller box when running yum -y update. I've altered my install script to create some temporary swap when possible to accommodate the "out of memory" messages I so often got. Saying that, I prefer Debian anyway, as it's what I'm used to.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @nocom can you post your mysql config and version? how does it use so little memory?

• radry said: @nocom can you post your mysql config and version? how does it use so little memory?

not now - i'm too busy, full review will be posted later with config/s

• @nocom said:
    not now - i'm too busy, full review will be posted later with config/s

I'm curious about your my.cnf

• smansman Member
    edited February 2015

Are all those VPS providers using full internal kernel VPS's? DigitalOcean does not let you boot your own kernel so you cannot draw any conclusions from using them imho.

I would have preferred to see all these tests on a KVM VPS or on a virtualbox on a desktop or something like that.

I'd also be curious to see a breakdown of where this memory is being used. Is CE more because of the kernel and if not exactly what package(s) are using more than Debian?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @sman said:
    Are all those VPS providers using full internal kernel VPS's? DigitalOcean does not let you boot your own kernel so you cannot draw any conclusions from using them imho.

I would have preferred to see all these tests on a KVM VPS or on a virtualbox on a desktop or something like that.

Unfortunately I have only OpenVZ VPS with ramnode, I have VPS with DigitalOcean too but they don't offer minimal distros as well as they dont offer to install from your own ISO as you can do with e.g. Vultr.

• smansman Member
    edited February 2015

@ckissi said:

OpenVZ containers do not run a kernel. So you cannot compare them to other VPS's that do for memory. Add probably at least 15MB for the kernel. Only apples to apples are if all are on OpenVZ or all are on a full kernel VPS so something like KVM.

• @sman said:

I know OpenVZ doesn't run kernel. This is why I wrote that I don't have KVM box with Ramnode so I cannot test, DO and Vultr are both KVM based, they just don't offer minimal distros, e.g. I tried to install Debian 7 on Vultr KVM VPS but the memory consumption was about 450MB right after the install :( ,
    It would be really interesting see minimal distros installs on KVM VPS.

• I can maybe do some tests on Mirantis OpenStack, if my server ever finishes with building...

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

The RAM usage in the first post is REALLY high compared to the base minimal installs.

https://securedragon.net/clients/announcements/467/OpenVZ-Minimal-Template-Review.html

• @KuJoe said:
    The RAM usage in the first post is REALLY high compared to the base minimal installs.

https://securedragon.net/clients/announcements/467/OpenVZ-Minimal-Template-Review.html

Where do you get these minimal templates from?

0xdragon said: Where do you get these minimal templates from?

Straight from OpenVZ.org

• @KuJoe said:

• thanks alot for sharing this i always wondered why 2 GB ram VPS is consumed with centos

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Geekion said: thanks alot for sharing this i always wondered why 2 GB ram VPS is consumed with centos

2GB is way too high, you must be running much more than just a minimal template. I would even guess some caching.

• Nice benchmark. Actually debian minimal template is less of RAM usage

• Stay with debian

• I don' think there ever will be any CentOS 7.x 32bit version. They will only have a 64bit version of CentOS 7.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 will only provide 64-bit ISO's, thus allowing only a 64-bit operating environment. However, 32-bit is supported in the following ways: RHEL 7 will continue to provide selected libraries in both 32-bit and 64-bit, allowing 32-bit applications to run in the 64-bit RHEL 7 OS environment. This functionality also exists for RHEL 5 & 6 as documented in the knowledge article: How to install 32-bit packages on a 64-bit system RHEL 7 will continue to support the multilib toolchain, allowing applications to be compiled for both 32-bit and 64-bit. RHEL 7 can host, using KVM virtualization technology, both 32-bit and 64-bit virtual guest instances of RHEL 5 and RHEL 6 While RHEL 7 will not natively support 32-bit hardware, certified hardware can be searched for in the certified hardware database.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2015

myhken said: While RHEL 7 will not natively support 32-bit hardware, certified hardware can be searched for in the certified hardware database.

Hum, I dont understand this.
    If it does not support 32 bit cpu, what good will do to have certified ones in the database? Could it support them "non-natively"?

myhken said: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 will only provide 64-bit ISO's, thus allowing only a 64-bit

operating environment.

Wow, did Red Hat just take a page out of Microsoft's playbook? :D

• It's a strange thing yes, I have always used 32bit on several of my servers. But luckily I got fixed a template issue on two of my customers site, that would not run on 64bit. Now all sites is running on 64bit, so all new servers I create is 64bit. So I don't think there will be any big issue going to CentOS 7 when the time is right.

• i always use debian 64bit on 128mb ram, should i worry or use 32bit?