Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any recommendations for self-hosted OneNote style application
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any recommendations for self-hosted OneNote style application

I love OneNote, recently started using it at work and never looked back. I also use it at home via my Office365 sub, but I'm not 100% I'll be keeping that sub going, so I'm looking for a self-hosted OneNote style solution, preferably one that has either mobile-optimised themes or better still, an app.

Anything anyone would recommend on this front?

Comments

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Forst thing that comes to mind. Evernote.
    Haven't used it for a while so can't say how many features it's missing.

• Check https://github.com/FoxUSA/OpenNote and http://gruik.io/. I guess you can find even more.

• +1 paperwork, i was looking for him but i didn't remember link.

• said: OneNote

What features are you wanting from OneNote in this alternative?

OneNote is like the Photoshop of photo editing, the Visual Studio of IDE's, the Outlook of mail clients, etc. There isn't any competitor that can match it in features, and there sure isn't any opensource one's either.

• @Silvenga said:
    OneNote is like the Photoshop of photo editing, the Visual Studio of IDE's, the Outlook of mail clients, etc. There isn't any competitor that can match it in features, and there sure isn't any opensource one's either.

Flexible note taking basically, with synchronisation across devices. Collaboration features aren't needed at all, it's just for me.

• I personally like the Markdown writing flow in my applications (Mac has a bunch, Windows/Linux, not so much). Maybe something like: https://github.com/Laverna/laverna?

Thanked by 1souen
  • Along the lines of Silvenga's suggestion, minus encryption but good with tags and file management: http://www.tagspaces.org/

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

I wonder why not just use a simple wiki for note-taking. As a bonus, you could split it into a public and private sections, and then your notes are only a copy-paste away from a public article/webpage/blogpost style of thing.

• @rm_ said:
    I wonder why not just use a simple wiki for note-taking. As a bonus, you could split it into a public and private sections, and then your notes are only a copy-paste away from a public article/webpage/blogpost style of thing.

I do this already for some stuff right now, but synchronisation to multiple devices for offline use is a key thing for me, plus I want the simple flexibility of being to slap stuff all over a page without having to make any effort with formatting.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

mikho said: Forst thing that comes to mind. Evernote.

Haven't used it for a while so can't say how many features it's missing.

Not self-hosted, though.

I never could get into Evernote because they refuse to let you organize your notes the way you want. They will only do tags (or a limited number of folders, with a 2-deep hierarchy max). And the tags are a flat namespace, which leads to inevitable collisions...it's just ugliness.

They do have a better web capture system though.

I live in a hybrid hell of personal MediaWiki, OneNote, OneDrive documents, etc.

• said: I also use it at home via my Office365 sub, but I'm not 100% I'll be keeping that sub going

If the issue is having to pay for it, OneNote is free of charge across Windows, Mac and mobiles/tablets, as long as you are happy to store your notes in OneDrive.

• mikho said: Evernote

It's not self-hosted.

• For subscriptions, keep an eye on Amazon for Office 365 Personal subscription key cards. Supports 5 PCs, totally legal, and as little as $69 US.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Honestly I can't beat my office 365 university subscription. $80 for 4 years.

• varwwwvarwww Member

Any alternatives in 2016? With Windows, Linux and Android Clients?

• akzakz Member

onenote is great just wish they would allow pin protection of notes in android.

• I usually keep a roller pen and paper in my backpack, it basically keeps me in offline sync wherever I go.

• im_jmzim_jmz Member

Ikiwiki isn't very sexy, but you can use it for blogging and notes, write locally and use git to push to your changes.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

ManofServer said: I usually keep a roller pen and paper in my backpack, it basically keeps me in offline sync wherever I go.

Not to mention that you encrypt it so you don't worry if it's stolen and photocopy it nightly and deposit the papers in a safe deposit box so it's always backed up. Also, when you are away from your backpack, you have a servant standing by so you can call him and have him read notes to you and take notes.

All in all, it's an excellent system.

Thanked by 1KamA
  • I do this with git, but it's far from ideal.