Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndTalk is dead! Long live lowendtalk!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndTalk is dead! Long live lowendtalk!

FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
edited October 2011 in General

Welp, at least we know it isn't going to get crap canned again :)

Francisco

Comments

• n_n

spam

• Francisco said: at least we know it isn't going to get crap canned again

Maybe... It's still not immune from DDoS for example.

Anyway. I went with good ol' Linode because it's actually almost-free for me, and it's not likely to be a low end provider.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Low End Talk hosted on a High End Provider?

Today marks the end of innocence.

• R.I.P.

• LowEndAdmin said: Anyway. I went with good ol' Linode because it's actually almost-free for me, and it's not likely to be a low end provider.

Traitor!

Next stop: LEB hosted on godaddy shared hosting >_>

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited October 2011

@raindog308 said: Low End Talk hosted on a High End Provider?

Today marks the end of innocence.

I was personally surprised how the community will be staying on a very low specs VPS for long, like counting the time when problems will start (provider side), and just expecting it, but it won't happen anymore I guess (if it would!). AFAIK, active forums are widely hosted (soon, or later) on a dedicated box, mainly for the cpu and i/o.

• @vedran -- yes what a good idea!

Now, GoDaddy, HostGator or BlueHost - which one should I go for? They are all ranked highly on those top 10 web hosting websites, you know?!

• DanielMDanielM Member
    edited October 2011

Top 10 sites are merely affiliate sites.. Full of fake reviews

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2011

@vedran said: Next stop: LEB hosted on godaddy shared hosting >_>

Well, at least it would be on low-end hosting again... just not the good kind of low-end :)

• @DanielM

Someone cannot detect sarcasm :P

• LowEndAdmin needs a sarcasm sign

• Sarcasm

Thanked by 1Ash_Hawkridge
  • Top 10 sites are merely affiliate sites.. Full of fake reviews

Haven't I said that a dozen times already around here?

I think we should stress test the new setup. :D

• Lmao Ixape.

@drmike

Wait untill LEA choose's not to list someone, then the stress test will probably come without us :P

• @VMPort how are we supposed to know when he doesn't list someone? Wouldn't he be the only one who knows that he's not going to list someone?

• When a DDoS attack come's of course..

• LongShotLongShot Member
    edited October 2011

I went with good ol' Linode because it's actually almost-free for me, and it's not likely to be a low end provider.

Good move. Ends any conflicts of interest with forum participants, and reminds LEB providers (and some customers) about what they should seek (dependability and value, not cheapness).

• LongShot said: reminds LEB providers about what the customer wants (dependability and value, not cheapness).

If only that were true.

• miTgiB said: If only that were true.

Come on! It's true......... sometimes :-(

• Dependability and value, for the lowest price possible, preferably free :D

• drmike said: I think we should stress test the new setup. :D

Main page - http://goo.gl/ZqkBe

A full paged thread - http://goo.gl/NLAfp

• ok goodbye everyone then :P

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I was thinking that the low-end linode packages don't come with much bandwidth (200GB for $20/month)...but then I read that LEB uses CloudFlare so perhaps that doesn't matter.

• lowendbox.com uses CloudFlare but lowendtalk.com doesn't.

• Yeah I think LET too should start using CloudFlare... atleast pertaining to the current situation we are facing.

• ClouldFlare would be of little use for LowEndTalk since most of the content is not static/cacheable.

• Ok, this is my take on LET.
    The original is LEB. So, it is still count as long as lowendbox.com on lowendbox.
    LET doesn't have to be on lowend box.

• This is just silly.

All LowEndAdmin needs to do is figure out how much memory this forum takes, then login to his Linode Manager and turn down the memory to what's absolutely required. Maybe it'll squeeze into 128MB? Then it'll be hosted on a "low end box", right? :)

• Um, I think LEA had his opinion be known recently about how he feels about how he runs his sites.

Maybe nodding our heads and saying "Yes sir" should be considered.

Thanked by 2Aldryic Infinity