Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VM (virtualbox) on kimsufi 2G
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VM (virtualbox) on kimsufi 2G

komokomo Member
edited July 2012 in General

is it possible to run a VM in VirtualBox on Kimsufi 2G. it would not run anything heavy... debian 6 with nginx, mysql, php, ssh... I want to give it to a friend of mine to play with it without touching my host system.

I have VirtualBox running on an 5-6 yeard old linux-pc at home without problems and I thought that I could make the same thing on kimsufi 2G.

Comments

• laaevlaaev Member

Yes it's possible just don't run OVH's kernels

• You have only 1 IP remember, and 2G does not support CPU virtualization (because it is using Atom CPUs)

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member
    edited July 2012

@zhuanyi said: and 2G does not support CPU virtualization (because it is using Atom CPUs)

I can use vbox on my atom netbook :/

--edit
    and vmware also.

• @NanoG6 said: I can use vbox on my atom netbook :/

Sure you can, but that doesn't change that Atom CPUs don't support CPU virtualization (instruction sets)

• komokomo Member

I know that atom does not support cpu virtualization and I am asking this question because of that. my 2G is usually doing not much and I am curious whether VirtualBox would cause too much load on the server.

I would install debian6 minimal with few already mentioned apps. The only question is whether atom is able to handle this VirtualBox.

single IP is not a problem because I have nothing running on port 80 and I would just forward all connections from port 80 to virtualbox:80.

• komokomo Member

@FTN_Kevin said: Yes it's possible just don't run OVH's kernels

OVH kernel is not able to handle it?

• biplabbiplab Member

Try with OVH kernel first. If it doesn't work then reinstall your favoutite OS manually.

Debian installation - Reboot your server to Recovery Console. Repartition the disc (optional), then do a manual install using debootstrap.

CentOS / Scientific Linux - Search for guide in ovh.co.uk forum. Basically you need to boot into network install kernel and start vnc server. Then connect to vnc display & do a network install.

• komokomo Member

thanks

• AsadAsad Member

@komo said: single IP is not a problem because I have nothing running on port 80 and I would just forward all connections from port 80 to virtualbox:80.

Don't forget to forward another alternative port for SSH so your friend can access the server.

• @NanoG6 said: I can use vbox on my atom netbook :/

I am curious, how's the performance?

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

@zhuanyi said: I am curious, how's the performance?

pretty good, at that time I installed trustix secure linux without gui. IIRC @KuJoe also did that on his netbook.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2012

I run VMWare Player on my netbook. Last weekend I had 2 Vyatta VMs, 1 Fedora (XFCE), and 1 Arch Linux (CLI) running on Windows 7 at the same time without any issue.

• yomeroyomero Member

@KuJoe said: I run VMWare Player on my netbook.

This.
    And I've been running VMs since the Pentium 4/Amd Athlon era.