Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Email Client for Smaller Displays
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Email Client for Smaller Displays

AldryicAldryic Member
edited October 2011 in General

Anyone have a good suggestion for an email client (no, not web-based) to use on a netbook with a ~10" screen? Simplistic is fine, don't really need support for filters/rules since I handle all of that on the mailserver side. I have a fondness for Thunderbird, but I find the Preview Pane to be a necessity, and Thunderbird fills the info bar with enough junk to effectively render a top/bottom message list/preview pane useless, so that's out. Using debian6 x86, with either fluxbox or KDE as my frontend.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• I use thunderbird, works fine on my 11" thinkpad.

• mutt

• Oh aye, the application runs just fine. It just seems the divider between the message list (top) and the preview pane (bottom), which lists information about the message (to, from, etc) takes up too much real estate, and forces a cramped view of both panes. As I've yet to find any way to effectively tweak that, I'm hoping someone might have a suggestion towards alternate clients I could try.

• NickM said: mutt

I'm very tempted to go back to mutt, honestly. But, managing more than a handful of email accounts (6+ for me), moving messages into folders, etc, quickly becomes a hassle with a CLI client =\

• Have you tried using the Vertical view in Thunderbird?

• mutt

• NickM said: mutt

+1. Served me for the better part of last decade, until I gave in to use Google Apps.

Aldryic said: quickly becomes a hassle with a CLI client

You can grep and then mv messages in Maildir/ format? How's that a hassle :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

real men use mh.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited October 2011

Real men use mail. :)

edit: I just use gmail myself but have the same problem with Filezilla while ftp'ing. I just slide around the tabs and the panes.

• I like... pine n_n

• earl said: Have you tried using the Vertical view in Thunderbird?

Even worse :P

LowEndAdmin said: You can grep and then mv messages in Maildir/ format? How's that a hassle :)

You should see my @frantech inbox.. >_< But aye, I guess back to Mutt it is, then. Thanks for the input, folks.

• yomero said: I like... pine n_n

Me too! Or at least I used to like it while I was using it.

• I remember pine. Used it back in college way back in...

Um, well....

• Alpine.

• mutt über alles

• @Aldryic: Thunderbird fills the info bar with enough junk

You can eliminate a few of Thunderbird's menu bars by: (1) opening View/Toolbars and clicking them off; (2) opening Edit/Preferences/Advanced/Config Editor, filtering by Dom.Disable, and setting certain ones to false; and (3) filter by Autohide and set the mail tabs to autohide.

Thanked by 1livingvirtual