Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SharkTech Review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SharkTech Review

JoelHallJoelHall Member
edited June 2013 in Reviews

I'm writing a short review about Sharktech on how they are lying scammers who also have a Terrible Network.

They claim to offer 10Gbps / 14.4Mpps Protection with all Services on the network, how ever during a 3Gbit flood they simply added a 0 to the end of the attack size and claimed it was a 30Gbit Attack they keep on doing this all the time.

First custom OS Install we asked them for, was the common Partitioning for SolusVM / KVM - 80GB / - 8GB swap / Empty LV How ever it took them 3 attempts over 3.5 days and they still kept getting it wrong, So eventually they hooked up a KVM device that was not even working correctly, Eventually the KVM stopped working completely the device would not even ping. So we waited another 12 hours before they hooked up a replacement.

The support responses are alright, how ever it takes them for ever to get something simple done such as a OS reload normally takes a whole 24 hours and they end up screwing either the OS or the Partitioning Example is below we waited 24 hours for a OS reload with Centos 6.4 the server did ping perfectly fine. How ever when we did a ticket they said they was looking at it another 12 hours Later the issue was still not corrected. They claimed of on a Broken PSU yet the server continued to ping for all the time they said they was working on it.

http://puu.sh/2Urqe.png
http://puu.sh/2Urvp.png
http://puu.sh/2UrvP.png
http://puu.sh/2Urw3.png
http://puu.sh/2Urwf.png
http://puu.sh/2Urwu.png

The network is complete balls, mass disconnections - IMCP Timeouts - slow speeds, You can accuse the servers of being Under Attack, How ever every single server with them will drop ping at exactly the same time including the Gateway IPs.

Proof Regarding Network - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share-large/6035f5d09e59141eba268612de02ab97.png

The owner also threatened to release my personal information including a Public Announcement via Skype as you can see below, he Made up a lot of B.S Lies such as I'm always swearing at him, The only thing I have ever said is * Your Service Sucks Dick * As it does actually suck, I have never used a provider who has such a crappy network, Especially since we have spent over $500+ in 1 week with them and lost over 3x that in chargebacks. And loss of clients.

Proof About Comment - http://puu.sh/2UrAS.png

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I'm not sure what you expected from a company with a name like 'SharkTech'. Everyone knows sharks are awful with technology.

• KBVEKBVE Member
    edited May 2013

Have you done your research because I found some threads on other forums talking about their "bullshit" DDoS protection.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1187522

• Mr. Joelhall has attempted to post these bashing comments on WHT and they were immediately deleted by WHT moderators since all of his accusations were proven inaccurate and mis-represented. Nekki and KBVE before you "assume" the comments of Mr. JoelHall are fact and start bashing on our over a decade old business perhaps you need to get your facts straight.

1. His claims that our systems can not handle 3Gbps is utter complete lies. We have showed him the logs of how his attacks are reaching between 12Gbps and 18Gbps. Our systems CAN handle that size but we opt to block all DDoS attacks higher than 10Gbps as they might have a bad effect on our network. His servers with us were under CONSTANT DDoS attacks of higher than 10Gbps and our systems had no choice but to block these attacks.

2. When our tech support made a mistake with the partitioning of the server for him, we credited him for the delays and changed his server due data accordingly. This does happen anytime you ask for a special partitioning sometimes mistakes are made and we do our best to correct them.

3. Customer was given direct access to me via Skype and on MULTIPLE occasions customer mis-configured his server and tried to blame it on us or our network, using profanity and extremely rude language.

4. Once customer went public posting these false accusations about us online. We have done our due diligence by notifying him that this waives his rights of privacy for his information with us. We will not disclose his financial information but we have the right to use any and all communication he had with us to refute his false claims.

At the end, I hope the moderators of this forum understand that these kind of bash false reviews effect business and are not helpful. Customer accusations are completely false and I hope they will take the same steps WHT took and immediately remove this from their forum.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2013

@sharktech said:
    At the end, I hope the moderators of this forum understand that these kind of bash false reviews effect business and are not helpful. Customer accusations are completely false and I hope they will take the same steps WHT took and immediately remove this from their forum.

Now that I've seen your response and from my personal experiences I have reason to believe some of the story if not all is made up/sensationalized/whatever and have reviewed the title accordingly.

• WHT mods are power-hungry idiots.

Anyway, the way I see it, there's two sides to this story and I honestly wouldn't know who is telling the truth. What I can see are tickets of a lot of things apparently not going the way that is preferred. It could both be bad luck or bad handling of the situation.

I recommend you guys handle this in private :-)

Thanked by 2Jonchun BuyAds
  • SpiritSpirit Member

No one likes to be criticized but if we start removing negative reviews on request this place won't be worth a dime.
    Everyone have right to introduce own side of story, present proofs... and let readers to make their own opinion based on written.

• Especially since we have spent over $500+ in 1 week with them and lost over 3x that in chargebacks. And loss of clients.

Quit being a dumbass hosting critical crap on a LEB. $500? That's about 5 - 10 dedicated servers.

• https://twitter.com/izserv

Twitter feed explains it all.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2013

I wouldn't call the twitter feed of a fly by night company (dissipated over a month ago) good evidence. I did research before registering, and found the dates on most of the indepth stuff was 2008 - 2010. Ive been a customer of there's with a mixed experience. Currently with two servers although original plans was to order another 2 in both Chicago and Denver within the first fortnight after doing some testing.

Ill detail my experience. Chicago since the network upgrade has improved exponentially. It was at one stage loosing connections every 3-6 hours! now its about twice a week (which while not amazing, it isnt unheard of and its getting resolved within a few minutes as apposed to hours!).

Denver has still been problematic, we have actually removed it from sale and moved many people to the Chicago server. Firstly the power supply failed, twice and had to get replaced. Then the hard drive is very close to failing. And to make matters worse, its a Denver server that was ordered, that appears in the billing system. And just on Friday (yesterday) it was discovered that the server is actually a Chicago server that has been miss-delivered. We have also had many more outages on this server which we had to open support tickets to get resolved (without explanation).

Their support was pretty crap to begin with. Very quick but pretty useless, not resolving any issues (case and point me talking about the Denver server and it taking 3 weeks for someone to go "those IPs are in Chicago" when I mentioned most of the traffic seemed to be routed through Chicago. Now I got onto the General manager who is actually useful. Although its still going to cost me $10 to fix there mistakes and transfer these IPs to the real Chicago server.

Our experience regarding the protection has been fine, they have mitigated atleast 4 attacks I know of. One on the required a ticket although who knows if that was even attack related!.

TL;DR: I have two servers currently, I would have alot more if things were more stable. We have two servers, one which has been removed from sale due to unreliability and being miss-delivered. Although there is signs of improvement.

If mods want proof of this, feel free to ask.

Current Rating: 3/10, with the possibility of improvement to 5/10+ depending on how things get handled in the following days.

Attached is some ICMP (no TCP tests in this) graphs. TCP is a little bit more reliable since ICMP can be easily lost and is given a low priority during a DDoS on the network. Still it should serve as a comparison to before and after.

After Upgrade: http://puu.sh/3qSDN.png http://puu.sh/3qSIT.png

Before Upgrade http://puu.sh/3qSGs.png http://puu.sh/3qSHA.png

Thanked by 2Infinity Mark_R
    edited June 2013

Im already looking to possibly retract a portion my previous post.

@SplitIce said:
    Current Rating: 3/10, with the possibility of improvement to 5/10+ depending on how things get handled in the following days.

Current rating is reducing NOT increasing. Honestly after around 100+ support replies (mostly from managers / senior individuals) you do not say.

"I've checked the server via KVM and unable to see any issues. It is booted fine, server load is normal and no network issues."

Now all I can really think is. Yes I know the software is good, its also installed on every other server in our network. Two lab machines, 16 lab VMs (8 OVZ, 6 Xen, 1 VirtualBox, 1 VMWare) and one Raspberry Pi. It really is a well tested installation script that we use. The common denominator between our Denver and Chicago locations that have had 10x the number of issues of any of our locations? Sharktech.

But based on the damage they are doing to us. They will get until I am able to get enough replacement resources ready (ordered).

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

It's pretty much known, that Sharktech hasn't the best reputation, maybe their offers are just too cheap to be good.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited June 2013

Once customer went public posting these false accusations about us online. We have done our due diligence by notifying him that this waives his rights of privacy for his information with us.

Umm dumbass CEO, when a customer posts a negative review it doesn't void their privacy rights and it doesn't give you a right to post their information unless they give their consent. You also don't have a right to attempt to suppress negative customer reviews by threatening to violate the privacy rights of customers if they complain publicly about your service.

after around 100+ support replies (mostly from managers / senior individuals)

I'd suggest finding a new provider if you've had to contact support that often.

• @DomainBop said:

When the customer picks which ever snippet of the conversation he had with us and advertise it to public to corroborate his story than YES we have all the rights in the world to expose the entire story. We notify the customer that we will use any and all communications done between the customer and our business to explain the full story in public. Adding my LinkedIn profile with the word "dumbass" is the reason why I stay away from forums like this to avoid trolls such as your self.

@SplitIce said:
    Im already looking to possibly retract a portion my previous post.

But based on the damage they are doing to us. They will get until I am able to get enough replacement resources ready (ordered).

You never really had a "Denver" server. We have discussed this with you and notified you that both of your systems are in Chicago due to a clerical error on our end and we have rectified the situation for you. We are probably one of the VERY few hosts out there with as many peers as we possess and the amount of bandwidth we command compared to ANY other medium size hosting company. We monitor our network quite aggressively and have done huge upgrades to both our facilities Chicago and Denver which did increase our network performance. However, the fact remains DDoS attacks above 20-30Gbps with certain characteristics (which are becoming much more common these days) will cause a brief few seconds network disruption that is an undeniable fact and any DDoS protection provider will experience the same problem. I am terribly sorry to hear about your hardware problems that is not a usual occurrence and we rigorously inspect every server before it is delivered to our customers.

Now regarding the other comments of allowing everyone to put the information in a public domain and allowing people to make their opinion. I couldn't agree more with this statement unfortunately the fact remains many will end up reading the title of the conversation and making up their mind about the story, many will read the 1st two sentences of what Mr. Joe have wrote and will make their assumption. We have been in business for over a decade we have seen our fair share of disgruntled customers and their online posts and the damage they could have EVEN if they are baseless. I appreciate what Infinity have done in decreasing the damage this post has made, and I hope he would take the additional step of completely removing it.

Even Mr. Joe Hall's twitter feed CLEARLY indicates they have been receiving 20-40Gbps of DDoS attacks against their clients which IS the attack we were Nullrouting for him but obviously he wouldn't believe what we told him before. We have conversation logs of his rudeness and the disrespectful method of communication he used with our staff. We have logs of how he misconfigured his servers with us caused his service quality degradation and attempted to blame it on us in the most disrespectful way possible, and even once we have shown him unequivocal evidence of his wrongdoing and he admitted to them, we did not hear an apology coming out of him. Infinity, if you need any of this information to help and get this post closed, please feel free to email me timt at sharktech dot net and I would gladly provide you all the information needed.

edited June 2013

Just to clarify, since @sharktech took action it has been up for 24hours (apart from 5m this morning). I have no problems with spcific details of my ticket being public domain hence why I posted them.

I still call the "Denver" (Denver 1) server Denver as thats its system name until the new Denver server replaces it. I was happy with your handling of that situation, its the uptime that has been problematic not your replacement of the server or DDoS protection (which would seem to work ok).

I am holding back my final judgement currently. Waiting to see if whatever you / your techs did (ticket doesn't say) has resolved this or if its just an unusually good streak.

Survived without another outage for around 4 days. Down again. Hmm @sharktech

• sharktechsharktech Member
    edited July 2013

@SplitIce said:
    Survived without another outage for around 4 days. Down again. Hmm sharktech

Yesterday I was directly involved in investigating severe packet loss to your server in Chicago we investigated all our network infrastructure, the only place we were seeing the severe ICMP packetloss was on your server. It was forwarded back to our tech support to check your server and server configuration for any issues causing these packet drops. It was certainly NOT network related not even your network segment.

• edited February 2015

Here's an independent review of Sharktech to compare to the one posted:

xxx

• I had a couple of these SharkTech servers hitting mine looking for wordpress/wp-admin/ not impressed.. abuse email hasn't been replied to..

• AlbaHostAlbaHost Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2015

Well, after a nightmare with ovh we choose to give a try with SharkTech, the support is fast, prices are great so we got what we paid for, and never had problems with them.
    +1 for SharkTech.

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited February 2015

@DDoS_Protection said:
    Here's an independent review of Sharktech to compare to the one posted:

xxx

@W1V_Lee this is clearly spam..

Thanked by 2wych Lee
  • IshaqIshaq Member
    edited February 2015

@0xdragon

xxx

Surely it isn't?!?!?

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • LeeLee Veteran

@0xdragon said:
    W1V_Lee this is clearly spam..

It may well be but I can't do anything, after reading the first few posts my eyes started to bleed, I need medical assistance...

• @W1V_Lee said:

FYI all the puu.sh links are dead.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@0xdragon said:
    W1V_Lee this is clearly spam..

I don't think its spam, it's more like someone paid a fiverr person to write that honest (?) review and post it online as soon as possible.

My opinion is purely based on the other types of post that user made on that site.

• LESLES Member
    edited February 2015

So i can stop flagging first comment spam with pushed old crap from 2013.
    Content quality is going equal GVH services here.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@LES said:
    So i can stop flagging first comment spam with pushed old crap from 2013.
    Content quality is going equal GVH services here.

Keep flagging if you find something that you think is inappropiate. My opinion is that someone found this post via google or linked from a "friend" and decided to give it a shot at adding some "value" with a fake review.

• AlbaHostAlbaHost Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2015
  • IshaqIshaq Member
    edited February 2015

For goodness' sake.