Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

apt-get'ing source code
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

apt-get'ing source code

drmikedrmike Member
edited October 2011 in General

Greets:

Just wondering if there was a reason why one would want to pull source code from repositories. I would think saving space and not pulling it would be a plus but every example of sources.list that I see include the src.

Just seems strange to me.

Comments

• deb-src is required for using apt-get source [-b].

Thanked by 1drmike
  • Is there a reason why though I would need source code.

• changing ./configure options, optimisation, using dpkg-divert so you can continue using apt to manage your installation of custom code

• With debian? Learning new tricks, mostly. Or if you come from a Gentoo upbringing, making minor tweaks to appease your OCD :P

• Unless you want to manually compile packages (not nearly as beneficial as gentoo users like to think) or explicitly modify a few source files before compiling to suit your specific system's needs, you're fine with just the deb lines.

• Those packages afaik include debian patches if any. You may want to change some options in configuration or maybe compile the package for you platform (if there is no binary package for yours) and then pack it back to .deb.

• kylix said: not nearly as beneficial as gentoo users like to think

I love it when assumptions are made against a userbase :3 I'm fairly good friends with a handful of other Gentoo users, and none of us have the same reasons for preferring that particular distro. Don't be quite so quick to judge folks you don't know.

• Aldryic said: I love it when assumptions are made against a userbase :3 I'm fairly good friends with a handful of other Gentoo users, and none of us have the same reasons for preferring that particular distro. Don't be quite so quick to judge folks you don't

I don't judge people man. I just run them over with buses. :P

• You jackass :P

But on a more serious note, I use apt-get source from time to time, just to see if I can read through and learn something nifty I saw in a particular application.

• The only time that I've done the apt-get or SPRMS is when I was curious about what patches were made to the original sources. Normally if I'm building from source I just get the package from the authors and compile away. I'm pretty lazy so I like to use the standard packages when I can. Compiling is reserved for those situations where I need a special configuration that just isn't available. There just isn't enough time to manually compile everything.

• Same here. I have deb-src on my test server (virtualbox) as I can break it as often as I want... But nowhere on production servers!

• debian source list generator
    debgen.simplylinux.ch/
    ; )

• @Aldryic said: You jackass :P

That's Mr. Jackass TYVM. :P