Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Core 2 Duo E6400 as a server CPU?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Core 2 Duo E6400 as a server CPU?

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited July 2012 in General

How would the performance be? I am not too sure what is the equivalent of this CPU to say the i5/i7 family or the Xeon family. Is it going to be a decent Windows remote desktop workstation? Thanks.

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

For personal use you should be fine. Rule of thumb for me is never use consumer hardware in an enterprise setting. ;)

• No money and no time to start a successful online business like SecureDargon (and perhaps no knowledge as well) :p

So here is my noob question, what exactly is this E6400 CPU (or this family of CPU in general), is it like a generation before or after the i3 and i5 stuff came out or it is just a cheaper equivalent of them?

@KuJoe said: For personal use you should be fine. Rule of thumb for me is never use consumer hardware in an enterprise setting. ;)

• @zhuanyi said: So here is my noob question, what exactly is this E6400 CPU (or this family of CPU in general), is it like a generation before or after the i3 and i5 stuff came out or it is just a cheaper equivalent of them?

Linkety link

Q3'06. Fairly old.

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • @ElliotJ said: Q3'06. Fairly old.

How does it compare to, say, the new Intel Atom CPUs then? About the same?

• TaylorTaylor Member
    edited July 2012

@zhuanyi said: How does it compare to, say, the new Intel Atom CPUs then? About the same?

>

The power from a older chip is typically more, so I would try and go newer.

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • @Taylor said: The power from a older chip is typically more, so I would try and go newer.

But performance-wise?

• jamsonjamson Member

@zhuanyi said: But performance-wise?

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

The Core 2 Duo would be better.

(I know the benchmark test isn't 100% accurate, but it's still a rough guide...)

• DamianDamian Member

Performance-wise, it'll be fine for a Windows remote desktop workstation.

Will it be remote desktop over the internet?

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • AmfyAmfy Member

The CPU isn't the newest, but for the most stuff in the private area it's more than enough. CPU should be 2-3x like an Atom. And of course remember, that for many application the i/o is an important thing to recognize, too, so the decicated will be faster than a vps even if the vps has a better cpu, since it has dedicated i/o.
    On dedicated servers you should always know that you have dedicated performance!

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • @Damian said: Will it be remote desktop over the internet?

Yes, the DC is more than 1000km away from me....
    The thing is, I have some data scraping program that I need to run on Windows (written in VB.NET and C#.NET) and send to the MS-SQL DB that is sitting on the same machine, the data scraped, on average, would be just around 1000 rows a day to start with, with more to come afterwards....

Do you think this machine could handle that?

• DamianDamian Member

Yeah, that'll be more RAM-dependent than CPU-dependent. How much ram will this system have? Since it's a desktop processor, standard RAM will be cheaper, so I'd recommend at least 4gb.

• It comes with 2GB of RAM and 1 400GB hard drive, it is a project for fun, data will be pulled from a spreadsheet I have sitting on my own laptop and I will be the only user for it.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited July 2012

I don't know what we're talking about so I'm just going to agree with this and say the following generic lines:

GoDaddy is the evil empire!

Hostgator should get better security!

I think all the regular hosting companies here are awesome!

• @HalfEatenPie said: I don't know what we're talking about so I'm just going to agree with this and say the following generic lines:

??? HalfEatenPie is in robot mode?

Thanked by 2Amfy HalfEatenPie
  • Slow CPU you can find a lot better CPU models in the same price range.

• rds100rds100 Member

If you got it for free - it's good. If you need to pay for it - tell us what will you pay, and maybe we can point you to better options.

• @zhuanyi said: ??? HalfEatenPie is in robot mode?

10 what are you talking about?
    20 Go to 10

• not free, but very cheap, 30 bucks a month, DC is in Dallas.

@rds100 said: If you got it for free - it's good. If you need to pay for it - tell us what will you pay, and maybe we can point you to better options.

• That's a dead loop???

@HalfEatenPie said: 10 what are you talking about?

20 Go to 10

• rds100rds100 Member

For $30 you could probably find a decent VPS that will suit your application, and would have more reliability (RAID vs a single drive). Granted getting a VPS with 400GB space would be hard, but you probably don't need all that space anyway.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Not going to be a killer performance-wise, but should be better than the cheapest atoms out there.

I had one c2d 2140 sitting at home, overclocked at 100% (from 1.6GHz to 3.19GHz), working 24/7 for 2 years :D

• @LiquidHost said: I had one c2d 2140 sitting at home, overclocked at 100% (from 1.6GHz to 3.19GHz), working 24/7 for 2 years :D

You make me want to fiddle with my old desktop again.

• @zhuanyi said: That's a dead loop???

Don't question the PIE!

Possibly...