Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Windows has to reboot every time you install the updates while Linux don't?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why Windows has to reboot every time you install the updates while Linux don't?

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited July 2012 in General

I guess many people running Windows here had a reboot yesterday (or the day before) because it was patch Tuesday again...

Just curious, why Windows has to reboot every time it install updates? Is there anything that could enable people to install update without having to reboot like what Linux do?

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I think it's because Windows locks files and prevents them from updating while the OS is running.

• This is a myth.

At 90% of the updates windows does not need to be rebooted but you don't get them - They are only released for Windows server at the releasedate and then bundled for the consumer versions which often includes 1 or 2 updates which require a reboot.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • Stupidity of Microsoft I guess...hopefully they will realize how silly it is when my Windows 2008 R2 installation has to reboot every week, making it practically impossible to be used as a web server...

@KuJoe said: I think it's because Windows locks files and prevents them from updating while the OS is running.

• But it is actually Windows server 2008 that asked me to reboot every week...although yes, probably my Windows 7 installation on my laptop reboots just as often, if not more often...

@William said: At 90% of the updates windows does not need to be rebooted but you don't get them - They are only released for Windows server at the releasedate and then bundled for the consumer versions which often includes 1 or 2 updates which require a reboot.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited July 2012

UNIX/Linux is very modular, parts can be disabled, updated and then restarted. Windows on the other hand is not, eg IE.

Also UNIX/Linux can have an old version of a binary running whilst its file gets updated and not get affected, where on Windows it locks files.

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

OK, first of all if you are running Windows OS in production environment it's good to create update schedule. DO NOT install updates right after they are available - wait 2-3 weeks and wait for comments. Sometimes Microsoft rolls back the updates, sometimes they are causing issues with 3rd party software. Personally I'm updating all my Windows servers 25+ once a month and reading thru every KB documentation. Non-OS updates (like MSSQL Server) can be applied without restarting the OS if you know how to do it (sometimes it's enough to stop the service).

Thanked by 1Randy
  • RandyRandy Member
    edited July 2012

i dont update my windows system and dont require a restart

Thanked by 1Jeffrey
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Randy said: windows sucks :)

Why do you provide a service with something that sucks then?

Thanked by 2Amfy Jeffrey
  • @Randy said: i dont update my windows system and dont require a restart

SENDS RANDY AN EMAIL

• flyfly Member

you should reboot after kernel updates as well.

inb4 ksplice, but who the fuck cares.

• "i dont update my windows system and dont require a restart" - haha I like this one ...

• I only update my Windows installations when a Service Pack becomes available. I disable updates, disable it from notifying me when they are available. I only update using the LARGE .exe SP files found on their site.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@gbshouse said: Non-OS updates (like MSSQL Server) can be applied without restarting the OS if you know how to do it

I think the key here is considering what is part of the OS and what is not - and to my knowledge, 'the OS' encompasses a lot more in Windows than it does in Linux... which may explain the difference in reboot requirements.

• klikliklikli Member

Most time windows upgrades in background (provided that you'd chose the default options during installation. The rest? You were notified to reboot for automated upgrade:)

• @Randy said: i dont update my windows system and dont require a restart

That's the worst thing someone can simply do.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited July 2012

@Boltersdriveer said: That's the worst thing someone can simply do.

I rarely update my Windows desktops, I only run updates when I do a fresh install or when they're critical updates/a service pack. Not running IE helps with vulnerabilities, but my XP boxes have better uptime then a lot of my servers, some of them have uptime of 2 Months + I had an Atom that was on for just over a year until the hard drive gave out, of course right at the end of 5 year warranty =/

Never had an issue with my computer getting compromised.

• Obviously not so much with your actual PC, but with a server running front-end tasks it's just not advisable @nunim.