Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dear smaller VPS providers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dear smaller VPS providers

Just wondering what other peoples' thoughts were on this. I recently had a previous spammer (he's gotten some of my IPs blacklisted) join my service again (which are now smtp disabled without prepayment). I had a feeling he would try spamming again, but I went ahead and approved the orders thinking "maybe not this time." Turns out a day later, he wanted a refund because he couldn't use the servers to send mail, which I politely refused. (no refunds unless it's our fault as stated in tos) He seemed to understand and was nice about it in his responses. Anyone have any thoughts on a situation like this? Should I have refunded him anyways, or was it perfectly within my rights to refuse it? For now, I'm just thinking of the extra cash as "payment" for having me clean up those IPs he previously got blacklisted. Would like to know the community's thoughts on this before moving forward with similar situations.

Comments

• If he was a previous spammer on your service, why'd you let him sign up again? Unless you need the money? You can block SMTP ports but that can be worked around.

Just seems strange. I would've probably refunded unless he'd actually spammed or abused the service that time around.

I hope you've reported the spammer to FraudRecord as well?

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited February 2015

If you've clearly stated that SMTP has been disabled then denying a refund is acceptable.

If you haven't clearly stated that however, I believe you're supplying a service with false information and a refund should be given as it's not what the client expects out of your services (or what you're offering)..

But in this case, he's a spammer.. I would of suspended his account the first time he started spamming..

• @sambling @ATHK

Just to be clear, the initial accounts were suspended and terminated. However, he tried to evade my suspensions/sign up under our new brand (he signed up under the old brand previously). I wasn't 100% sure it was him, so I didn't want to suspend him immediately as it would be risking suspending a new customer.

Here is our ToS: http://www.hostsumo.com/legal#tos
    I feel it's pretty clear.

• Ah ok. Well if that's your TOS then you are well within your rights to refuse a refund as long as you state somewhere in your advertising / on your website that SMTP is blocked (in all honesty though, so many providers do this that it pays to check as a potential customer).

• edited February 2015

Get some duct tape and a hot curling iron. OOps I would of just denied the order than deal with his bullsh!t all over again.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • if you do not have evidence, then blocking mail isn't justified. you aren't even sure client's the same. since port 25 is blocked, are secure mail ports open?

hosting service w/o mail isn't complete, non-performance of your own service agreement.

either refund, cancel service or provide 3rd party mail service / allow email until you have evidence of spamming

btw, probably justifies chargeback or dispute too by refusing refund

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited February 2015

@century1stop said:
    if you do not have evidence, then blocking mail isn't justified. you aren't even sure client's the same. since port 25 is blocked, are secure mail ports open?

hosting service w/o mail isn't complete, non-performance of your own service agreement.

either refund, cancel service or provide 3rd party mail service / allow email until you have evidence of spamming

what? since when is providing vps services with blocked ports "non-performance of service agreement"? I've literally NEVER heard this one before. A customer agreed to purchase vps services that came with smtp disabled. Where did the provider fail to meet his service agreements?

• century1stop said: hosting service w/o mail isn't complete, non-performance of your own service agreement.

None of what you said makes any sense!

Thanked by 2Jonchun 0xdragon
  • oops, my humble apologies, thought twas web hosting, haha. a retraction, perhaps?

• Not a problem. Silly mistakes causing huge misunderstandings haha.

Thanked by 1century1stop