Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Dedicated cloud, any legitimate hosts want to have a look? Free trial
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Dedicated cloud, any legitimate hosts want to have a look? Free trial

pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
edited February 2015 in Providers

Hello,

I have a OVH PCC that I no longer need and will be removed on the 8th.

Rather then just let it sit, I thought some hosts may want to take a look. Perhaps you have been thinking of leasing one yourself but wanted a trial.

If so, PM me your name, email and link to website.

Pictures: https://highendtalk.net/topic/19-ovh-private-cloud-review/

Regards,
Ben

Thanked by 1Blanoz

Comments

• "cloud" is a marketing term mainly for vps etc. not really interesting imo

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@TarZZ92 said:
    "cloud" is a marketing term mainly for vps etc. not really interesting imo

We all know that, but that's what its called. Its a nice setup, 100% SLA, if a node fails they replace it, and the high availability brings vm's back online in minuets

• "cloud" will only be cloud when it comes with HA .......... otherwise just an expensive virtual machine

So it is a "cloud" then?

• cloudy ~~~

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited February 2015

We all know that, but that's what its called. Its a nice setup, 100% SLA, if a node fails they replace it, and the high availability brings vm's back online in minuets

"cloud" will only be cloud when it comes with HA.......... otherwise just an expensive virtual machine

@pbgben I'm just as confused as you are ._.

• If you don't mind, what is the total cost of ownership of this setup per month atm?

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited February 2015

@ksubedi said:
    If you don't mind, what is the total cost of ownership of this setup per month atm?

http://bencarrington.me/uploads/WGK.png

Thanked by 2pbgben ksubedi
    edited February 2015

Thats the first bill, They add on SPLA licencing for the next billing if you use it. It works out as a very cost effective service if you have a ton of windows VPS's

64GB ram / 545.40 = 8.50~ euros VPS or 15Eur for a HA windows VPS... I'm sure thats a really good and realistic price. @ksubedi

Thanked by 1ksubedi
  • @pbgben said:
    64GB ram / 545.40 = 8.50~ euros VPS or 15Eur for a HA windows VPS... I'm sure thats a really good and realistic price. ksubedi

Definitely solid pricing. It's still a little bit too pricy in my opinion because of the way things work out. OVH isn't exactly known to be a "premium" provider. It's kinda like grabbing a HA box from OnApp... There's really no real guarantees with the "HA". Still, it's nice to see that you've had a generally good experience with them.

On a side note, did you try this out for bigvps, or was this a side project?

edited February 2015

@Jonchun said:
    On a side note, did you try this out for bigvps, or was this a side project?

For BIGvps, I Must add that OVH has been much better with answering support tickets that relate to this. The dedicated cloud servers come with high priority support. I havent had a host failure to test the "15 min replacement" but they are clustered nodes, so if one fails then the VM's are automatically moved to a working node in <10 mins

Thanked by 1Host4Go
  • vpslegendvpslegend Member
    edited February 2015

@pbgben said:
    For BIGvps, I Must add that OVH has been much better with answering support tickets that relate to this. The dedicated cloud servers come with high priority support. I havent had a host failure to test the "15 min replacement" but they are clustered nodes, so if one fails then the VM's are automatically moved to a working node in <10 mins

Just out of curiosity, I can understand its utility for enterprises but how can average hosting companies manage automation & billing with it?

@vpslegend said:
    Just out of curiosity, I can understand its utility for enterprises but how can average hosting companies manage automation & billing with it?

There are tools for managing/automating VMWARE, but I couldn't get any to work as OVH block a bunch of stuff. So it would be a manual process.

Thanked by 1vpslegend