Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Market Research: Plug & Play Router VPN - Any interest? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Market Research: Plug & Play Router VPN - Any interest?

2»

Comments

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@Mark_R, I agree that it should be cheap enough to be worthwhile buying as a whole compared to the client going out of their way to do everything themselves.

I'll look into this to see if any additional features can be added it at the same price point.

• @liamwithers Is this going to be marketed as a device to let you use overseas online TV services, or as a privacy device, etc?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Nekki said:
    liamwithers Is this going to be marketed as a device to let you use overseas online TV services, or as a privacy device, etc?

I think the 2 of them

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@Nekki said:
    liamwithers Is this going to be marketed as a device to let you use overseas online TV services, or as a privacy device, etc?

I'm not entirely sure at this point in time. It's likely that the devices will be sold through a company who I'm assisting with this, and so marketing may well be in their hands.

From discussions with them, I'd imagine a high emphasis would be on security, as this seems to be in the forefront of their minds (and in my opinion, rightly so).

Right now though, I'm not certain and shall chase this up to hopefully find out some further information.

• ab1ab1 Member

Things have moved on since 2015, so I am updating this thread for completeness. There are lots of "boxes" on the market now, but as far as I can tell, no clear leader. A lot of these project are difficult to find and most are aimed at a tinkerer, which isn't where most people's skills lie.

For non-technical audience, who wants to plug-and-play VPN router and content unblocker, I built black.box unzoner: http://unzoner.com/

There is a dashboard. It runs on a Raspberry Pi, ODROID C1+/XU4 and a bunch of other devices. The entry barrier is still the requirement to flash an SD card with an OS image, which weeds out most people.

Ideally, the service should be offered as a complete (subscription) package (i.e. a box with the right software, in a nice box, ready to plug in), but I am not about to get into widget shipping logistics.

Anyway, feel free to download, flash and kick the tyres. It is free in VPN client mode as well as peer-to-peer mode. The unblocking mode requires registration (via PayPal/Bitcoin). Everything is driven from the device dashboard, accessible via http://backbox.local on the network where the device sits.

-- ab1

• Gl-inet small routers does support plug n play openvpn and they are as cheap as 18-20 usd plus 5usd shipping.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • WSSWSS Member

@muratai said:
    Gl-inet small routers does support plug n play openvpn and they are as cheap as 18-20 usd plus 5usd shipping.

They're also based on OpenWRT, and everything's up on github. Heard that they'll be migrating to LEDE 17.01. I've upgraded my 300A to a WNDR3800, but I'll never get rid of my 300A. It's perfect for travel and stable.

Thanked by 1muratai