Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kernel Errors - Help, please! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kernel Errors - Help, please!

2»

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2012

So it was some software bug...
    I wouldnt rule out hw problems tho. Modern chipsets are extremely complicated and something as simple as some power fluctuation due to some half a millimeter error in some capacitor or something could generate noise inside and make some signals go out of the safe zone creating random errors which are almost impossible to track at the producer QA.
    This is why I never put anything into production directly, I had way too many kernel panics randomly occurring due to hw problems.
    It is true I dont buy top notch hw either... But, instead of spending 100 dollars on a computer (example) better buy 2 and you have a spare if one goes bad for 50 dollars each. It is, obviously, a lower manufacturing class, but, if it works for a couple of weeks under stress, it is likely it will work for a couple of years and you have spare too. If the expensive one dies you have no parts or a complete copy and those deaths usually occur friday night...
    This is what i've done all my life with all kinds of products and never regretted, actually, the faster the tech world goes, the lower is the incentive for quality, you dont need it to last 10 years when you will have to upgrade it in 2 unless you really run mission critical systems, even so, I go with a cheap HA scheme...
    M

• AmitzAmitz Member

@Maounique said: It is true I dont buy top notch hw either... But, instead of spending 100 dollars on a computer (example) better buy 2 and you have a spare if one goes bad for 50 dollars each.

This is what I did. :)
    I now have two servers in the lower price range and use one of them only as failover machine if the other one faces problems. Works nice. Better than having only one "superduper" high end machine that can fail brilliantly too...

• tuxtux Member

@Amitz said: Okay, there was no way to upgrade the kernel as it obviously was already the latest version available.

You can always compile newer kernel.

• AmitzAmitz Member

Right, but as I said above: Kernel Compilation? There might be Dragons... ;-)

@Amitz said: Right, but as I said above: Kernel Compilation? There might be Dragons... ;-)

Actually, it is not that hard. When I finally got a 386 machine it is the first thing I did. Surely, it was a 20 mhz sx one and took like 2 days, but ended without problems. At that time didnt have that many power failures. It was needed to have the smallest kernel possible as I was trying to save memory, 4 mb were not much, even for that time (about 1994). O tempora :)
    Bottom of line, since you have a spare machine, do it :)
    M

• AmitzAmitz Member

Thank you for the encouragement... ;)
    I have just received one of those free OVH VPS and this is my opportunity to try it for the first time!

I didnt look at it, it depends on virtualization tho. I would suggest you do this on a real machine or at least full virtualization such as KVM or xen HVM for the first time.
    M

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited July 2012

Oh yes, I missed that point. Will have a look what kind of virtualization OVH uses...

• tuxtux Member

@Amitz said: Oh yes, I missed that point. Will have a look what kind of virtualization OVH uses...

OpenVZ

• AmitzAmitz Member

Okay. No dragons then... ;-)