Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


FTP Back-up Space
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

FTP Back-up Space

VMPacketVMPacket Member, Provider
edited July 2012 in General

Anyone know where I can get a small amount of FTP back up space?

Thanks

Comments

  • What's small? 50GB?

  • GoDaddy has cheap FTP backup space. However is there any reason that forces you to use FTP? It's a really outdates protocol and shouldn't be used anymore.

  • VMPacketVMPacket Member, Provider

    What would you recommend doing to schedule automatic backups from a server to...somewhere?

  • netomxnetomx Member, Moderator

    rsync ?

  • VMPacketVMPacket Member, Provider

    @netomx said: rsync ?

    Never used that. How does that work?

  • InfinityInfinity Member, Provider
    edited July 2012

    Setup SSH keys between the servers and..

    Screw that just type man rsync in terminal, you can put a command in the cron directory and hey presto..

    Thanked by 1marrco
  • VMPacketVMPacket Member, Provider

    @Infinity said: Screw that just type man rsync in terminal, you can put a command in the cron directory and hey presto..

    Nice, cheers :)

  • subigosubigo Member

    @gsrdgrdghd said: GoDaddy has cheap FTP backup space. However is there any reason that forces you to use FTP? It's a really outdates protocol and shouldn't be used anymore.

    If you're going to stop using protocols based on how old they are, you should just turn off your computer right now.

    Thanked by 3tux Wintereise Surge
  • gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited July 2012

    @subigo said: If you're going to stop using protocols based on how old they are, you should just turn off your computer right now.

    outdated [ˌaʊtˈdeɪtɪd]
    adj
    old-fashioned or obsolete

    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/outdated

  • subigosubigo Member

    @gsrdgrdghd said: outdated [ˌaʊtˈdeɪtɪd]

    adj
    old-fashioned or obsolete
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/outdated

    ...would mean it's no longer used or has been replaced by something else. Seeing as how almost every single host in the world still provides FTP access, I'd say it's far from obsolete.

  • The fact that many hosts still use it doesn't make it any better. IE 7 is still used by many companies just because it's a too big hassle to change. And it has been replaced (or is being replaced) by SFTP.

    Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • @gsrdgrdghd said: The fact that many hosts still use it doesn't make it any better. IE 7 is still used by many companies just because it's a too big hassle to change. And it has been replaced (or is being replaced) by SFTP.

    There are alternatives, there are better way of doings things, however the fact remains that FTP is here to stay for a while yet.

    Need to reach me quickly? Ping me on Discord

  • SFTP? or should it be FTPS?

    © 2011-2019 eLohkCalb

  • @eLohkCalb said: SFTP? or should it be FTPS?

    image

    Thanked by 1Victor
    Catalyst Host - Pie Approved!
Sign In or Register to comment.