Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need UltraVPS Review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need UltraVPS Review

Hi Everyone,
seeking an honest and fresh review of this West Coast Provider UltraVPS

Hows their uptime and overall connectivity towards Asia ? Thinking them for a seriously heavy project. I opened up a sales ticket and it was replied 6 hours later, which isn't the best of response I must say.

Anyone here experienced them for a good time? how about their upstream connectivity and overall uptime? The pricing is certainly delicious, but want to be sure.

Thanks.

Comments

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited February 2015

@mehargags said:
    Hi Everyone,
    seeking an honest and fresh review of this West Coast Provider UltraVPS

Hows their uptime and overall connectivity towards Asia ? Thinking them for a seriously heavy project. I opened up a sales ticket and it was replied 6 hours later, which isn't the best of response I must say.

Anyone here experienced them for a good time? how about their upstream connectivity and overall uptime? The pricing is certainly delicious, but want to be sure.

Thanks.

Keep in mind if you contacted sales today, it's a weekend (a lot of places don't even do sales on weekends)

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited February 2015

@mehargags - I have been using UltraVPS in Las Vegas since Aug, and have three VPSes with them. The uptime on the nodes have been perfect with only one 15min down time to upgrade me to a new node. Their nodes do not seem overloaded in any way, cpu and I/O access is one of the best I have (out of 50 or so). The network is very good for me, but is the only thing I would not give 5 starts to as it 100mb. I can't tell you any more about customer service other then sales is friendly, but a little rigid. They live up to their deals. When they discontinued offering the 125GB backup server they did not cancel mine and offer a partial refund, but instead moved me to a SSD node which was pretty sweet. They have earned my business and my recommendation.

Note: Your mileage may vary.
    Edit:

Ping to ...
    Adelaide, SA, Australia     194.4
    Hong Kong, China             157.6
    Aukland, New Zealand    164.1
    Christchurch, New Zealand 181.8 
    Singapore, Singapore    211.7
    Bangkok, Thailand           222.8

Number of cores : 2
    CPU frequency :  2999.996 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 990 MB
    Total amount of swap : 511 MB
    System uptime :   10 days, 21:39,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 18.2MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 8.68MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 18.3MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 3.44MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 829KB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 10.3MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 9.73MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 16.2MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 20.4MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 189KB/s
    I/O speed :  899 MB/s

ioping -c 10 /dev/vda
    --- /dev/vda (device 125.0 GiB) ioping statistics ---
    10 requests completed in 9.0 s, 2.4 k iops, 9.5 MiB/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 351 us / 409 us / 505 us / 42 us

ioping -RL /dev/vda
    3.6 k requests completed in 3.0 s, 1.2 k iops, 306.2 MiB/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 199 us / 816 us / 19.3 ms / 586 us

ioping -R /dev/vda
    9.0 k requests completed in 3.0 s, 3.2 k iops, 12.5 MiB/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 43 us / 312 us / 11.6 ms / 430 us

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • Wow, will the language of the DDoS protection control panel also be in Latin?

• Also keep in mind that while 6 hours response time isn't eactly good, it isn't particularly lousy either.

• mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited February 2015

@FrankZ... thanks alot! Will help me close down my thought !sigh!

@bsdguy... certainly not, Infact I replied to their Ticket today, "Rob" from UltraVPS was super responsive to exhcnage thoughts in <5mins, even being weekend @Jonchun.

I think I should give them a go for a Quarter or so, awaiting some more reviews from the community...

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • Anyone know how to view the ToS and AUP?

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @Abdussamad said:
    Anyone know how to view the ToS and AUP?

There site is not even complete.., lots of lorem ipsum :)

http://www.ultravps.com/ddos.php

• Here is my UltraVPS: http://www.hostingwizard.net/server.php?id=157
    Disk I/O is good, network I/O not so much.

• Ah, UltraVPS. That's a brand of Fiberhub and Versaweb, isn't it?

@Rob_T manages it, as far as I know.

• Ishaq said: Ah, UltraVPS. That's a brand of Fiberhub and Versaweb, isn't it?

Yes (see footer) as a result they are probably trusted.

• @Abdussamad - From Rob regarding ToS -
    Q: How can I use my VPS? Any restrictions?
    A: No TOR, no torrents, nothing illegal, no SPAM, no DDoS attacks, etc. Basically, don't do anything stupid, and we'll all get along just fine.

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited February 2015

@hostingwizard_net said:
    Here is my UltraVPS: http://www.hostingwizard.net/server.php?id=157
    Disk I/O is good, network I/O not so much.

Why so? Because in that scenario (shown in that graph) it's just 45 Mb/s or so?

Well, first those graphs aren't worth too much without context. Second, we are talking rather cheap VPSs here. What should we expect? 200 Mb/s? 2 Gb/s?

Moreover looking at hostingwizard the best latency values I find are a (hardly credible) 93 ms. Frankly, that only shows me that their reference base is lousy or their "measuring" is gone awry.

Then they tell me about a server in Dronten that is actually in dallas,usa and they generally don't tell what they are measuring and how.

Pardon me, that's worthless.

• @bsdguy said:
    Why so? Because in that scenario (shown in that graph) it's just 45 Mb/s or so?

The point is this UltraVPS is in the bottom of the chart for network speed. It is not about expectation, more about comparaison.

What should we expect? 200 Mb/s? 2 Gb/s?

My personal expectations are 80Mb/s in well-connected area (US,NL,...) and 40Mb/s in other places. Web pages need to be served fast nowadays. However, most providers don't really manage their bandwidth (no QoS, no adapted speed depending of the use).

the best latency values I find are a (hardly credible) 93 ms. Frankly, that only shows me that their reference base is lousy or their "measuring" is gone awry.

Average value to reach 15 locations in the world (all continents) and 5 CDN. But again, the value doesn't matter, only the rank. What is important is all the values are measured the same way on all VPS and continuously (every hour), giving a fair comparaison.

about a server in Dronten that is actually in dallas

ae0-3.RT.SRV.DRO.NL.retn.net

• @hostingwizard_net

That wasn't meant as an attack.

But, you see, the site doesn't tell much (what is measured? How is measured? ...)
    So that's not much worth.

Knowing now a little more, it makes somewhat more sense (You are, I take, the one running that site).

btw. the bandwagon host link goes to bandwagons site in the usa (at least it did, when I looked).

As for the expectation: I guess that depends a lot on the price, too. I personally don't expect more than 50 (or even just 30) Mb/s with a cheap VPS.

Finally, I think that's a very nice idea of yours and basically a valuable resource but I'd strongly prefer to have them beasts clickable leading to a "detail" page. Because one often needs, e.g. only the speed in certain regions (like usa) and doesn't care to much for a gobal average.

Thanks