Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need cheap, private VPS from EU (or at least European country with strong privacy laws)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need cheap, private VPS from EU (or at least European country with strong privacy laws)

UltraParanoidUltraParanoid Member
edited February 2015 in Requests

Hi.

Im looking for following kind of VPS provider:

1. cheap! If possible, about $12 or less per month. I can pay more but will absolutely NOT go beyond $28/month.
  2. private! Need as little info about me as possible. Ideally, just my e-mail address would be enough.
  3. full root SSH access
  4. offer Gentoo Linux or option to install/mount it when asked.
  5. accept either PayPal and/or bitcoin for payment.
  6. offer either KVM or Xen or both.
  7. allow OpenVPN.
  8. allow Squid proxy.
  9. at least 2 GB RAM.
  10. at least 40 GB HDD.
  11. at least 1 Gbps uplink speed.
  12. operates in EU, under some of the EU member law. or at least in Europe with strong privacy laws.
  13. owns it own equipment (switches, routers, etc...)
  14. and most importantly, has at least one of its servers located in the following countries: Bulgaria, Cyprus, Iceland, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Romania, Serbia, Sweden

Comments

• So how can a host know that you are not a known spammer/DDoSer if you only want to provide your e-mail?
    And you know about the new VAT rules that EU started with now 1.1.2015, and they need to have much data on you, so the correct VAT is on your bill. And therefor they need to know if you live in one of the EU states, or outside EU and don't need to pay VAT. Still, can't image a serious host just accept your e-mail and thats that.

• reserved

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

If you pay via paypal, the they will be given your personal info anyway, wont they?

• Serbia is not EU....

How much BW do you need?

You will not find any Cyprus VPS with Gbit.

• I'd like to get a porsche delivered to me instantly. it should have at least 1000 HP but don't need any fuel. you must not need more than my email to fulfill. CHEAP!!!

• William said: Serbia is not EU....

Depends on your view. Geographically it is Europe. :-)

• foetti said: Depends on your view. Geographically it is Europe. :-)

Europe != EU.

• Detruire said: Europe != EU.

Depends on what the OP wants. Maybe he meant Europe. Iceland isn't EU as well.

• wychwych Member
    edited February 2015

@UltraParanoid why do you only want to provide your e-mail?

I can think of a few hosts who offer some of what you want but not all.

@myhken is right with the new rules, especially if your targeting EU based services.

@pbgben said:
    If you pay via paypal, the they will be given your personal info anyway, wont they?

No, they will get the name and address on the PayPal account; not necessarily the VPS users details.

• @wych said:
    UltraParanoid why do you only want to provide your e-mail?

Because Im UltraParanoid :-) Especially after Snowden leaks.
    But if just e-mail is not enough then as little info as needed is good too.

I can think of a few hosts who offer some of what you want but not all.

myhken is right with the new rules, especially if your targeting EU based services.

Oh, I wasn't aware of the new rules. I will check them. Thanks!

No, they will get the name and address on the PayPal account; not necessarily the VPS users details.

I have PayPal Business account with only (fake) company info.
    Payment receiver only sees the company name and details. Don't know if this setup is 100% private tought...

• @myhken said:
    So how can a host know that you are not a known spammer/DDoSer if you only want to provide your e-mail?
    And you know about the new VAT rules that EU started with now 1.1.2015, and they need to have much data on you, so the correct VAT is on your bill. And therefor they need to know if you live in one of the EU states, or outside EU and don't need to pay VAT. Still, can't image a serious host just accept your e-mail and thats that.

Im not going to do any DDOS or spamming or anything....just need few VPS for my own personal use
    with VPN and some other anonymity software for daily surfing.

And especially to kill those annoying internet ads/trackers/malware and other crap...that's why Im going to setup Squid caching proxy with huge blocklist to
    the same VPS that VPN server is running.

I just simply want my Internet back (ad/malware/tracking free) like in the 90s....

Oh, just great ... Now that EU high court ruled Data Retention Directive illegal they are now pushing yet anither new law to collect more data ....

Thanks for this info myhken!

• UltraParanoidUltraParanoid Member
    edited February 2015

@William said:
    Serbia is not EU....

Ooops...My mistake. And yeah, Iceland is not part of EU yet.

But they are still good countries with strong privacy laws, no?
    So I will gladly accept them to my country list.

You will not find any Cyprus VPS with Gbit.

Damn...Then Cyprus is out from my list then

• UltraParanoidUltraParanoid Member
    edited February 2015

I should have mentioned in my original post what is cheap to me. Fixed now.
    Also, Im willing to accept non-EU country as long as it's within Europe with strong privacy laws.
    Added that too to original post.

Those countries mentioned in the original post were the ones that were against Data Retention Directive
    and that has now been ruled illegal. That's why I choosed them.

• Why do you care about privacy laws if you plan to pay anonymously anyway?

If you pay anonymously and sign up using bogus details, you need a very dedicated adversary in order for you to be identified. They would have to follow the financial trail or look at router/firewall logs to see from which IP you access the VPS.

And if you have a very dedicated adversary, you are approaching this the wrong way entirely.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @MrX said:
    Why do you care about privacy laws if you plan to pay anonymously anyway?

If you pay anonymously and sign up using bogus details, you need a very dedicated adversary in order for you to be identified. They would have to follow the financial trail or look at router/firewall logs to see from which IP you access the VPS.

And if you have a very dedicated adversary, you are approaching this the wrong way entirely.

Well, at least it doesn't hurt to have a privacy friendly country as your "home" base.
    Just trying to cover all the bases.

I don't have (or at least don't think so) very dedicated adversary.
    Unless he/she/them can decrypt multiple VPN-over-VPN-over Tor links....
    Even now Im accessing this forum over my own VPN.

But it never hurts to have few more VPNs :-)

• UltraParanoid said: Well, at least it doesn't hurt to have a privacy friendly country as your "home" base. Just trying to cover all the bases.

I don't have (or at least don't think so) very dedicated adversary. Unless he/she/them can decrypt multiple VPN-over-VPN-over Tor links.... Even now Im accessing this forum over my own VPN.

OK. I'm just trying to understand why you couldn't just get a VPS in any of your preferred countries with bogus personal details and make an anonymous payment. It's not like they go to any great lengths to confirm your details for tax purposes. Just don't look like a fraudster.

• @UltraParanoid said:
    Those countries mentioned in the original post were the ones that were against Data Retention Directive
    and that has now been ruled illegal. That's why I choosed them.

Don't forget Norway then, we don't have it, and the new Government we got last year, stopped it. But with a new government i three years, maybe it's back on the table again.
    But on the other hands, you will not find very cheap VPS servers in Norway, and no one that don't want all your info before they sell you anything.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

said: private! Need as little info about me as possible. Ideally, just my e-mail address would be enough.

if the payments by PayPal or credit card via PayPal how the provider will know if the cc is not stolen? as the email address can be change at any second but the chargeback cost for provider money!!!

• For NL/SE take a look on https://hosthatch.com/ - fast kvm servers, cheap and bitcoins are welcomed.

Thanked by 1UltraParanoid
  • @UltraParanoid said: I have PayPal Business account with only (fake) company info.

Bad opsec. ;)

Bahnhof.net does not meet all your criteria but its worth a look.

Have you tried checking @MrX signature.

Thanked by 1UltraParanoid