Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ansible vs. Chef - which is better? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ansible vs. Chef - which is better?

2»

Comments

• @drserver said: for example, our new management portal will use chef to clear firewall rules, change root pw, install custom software from playbook and so on...

Nice :) Exactly my idea for a couple of SAAS projects I'm working on ;)

Thanked by 1drserver
  • rawrwriter said: This can be done if I'm reading you right.

ansible --ask-pass blah.yml --extra-vars "blah=blah" --extra-vars "{'list_of_blah': [1,2,3]}"

as an example.

No, I am not talking about passing the global parameters in the runtime. And I am against this practice, all information should be checked in somewhere including the secrets.

I am talking about the task to instantiate a file from the template, like setting up the nginx:

- name: "set up /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/{{ app_role }}.conf"
      sudo: true
      action: template src=nginx.jinja2 dest=/etc/nginx/sites-enabled/{{ app_role }}.conf
      notify: restart nginx
      tags:
        - nginx

The app_role and all the variables in nginx.jinja2 must be setup before ahead, you can not pass arbitrary key/value pairs to run this command. It is very awkward.

Also the developer of ansible might be rude.

• smansman Member
    edited January 2015

aglodek said: preferable

@outime said:

In version 0.17.0 of Salt a new transport system was introduced, the ability to use SSH for Salt communication. This addition allows for Salt routines to be executed on remote systems entirely through ssh, bypassing the need for a Salt Minion to be running on the remote systems and the need for a Salt Master.

That doesn't look the same to me. There are a bunch of however's, what have you's, exceptions, cannot yet do's, special configurations etc. Looks like something they bolted on to try compete with Ansible but it's not fully baked yet.

Ansible just uses the operating system SSH keys so if you do that now you have zero additional config required and zero limitations.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • Follow up question: what are the minimum system requirements to run:

• Ansible
    • SaltStack
    • Chef
    • ASYD

To be clear, I'm not looking to break any records here, but rather for recommended stable, production system minimum. Will a 128MB KVM cut it?