Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[resolved] Multiple SSH Sessions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[resolved] Multiple SSH Sessions

PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
edited July 2012 in Help

Hi

I've seen things about tmux but it's for linux and I'm not sure how to go about using it. Basically, I currently use PuTTY for SSH sessions but I'd like something that I can control multiple VPS's from 1 window and I believe tmux does that but it's for linux and my computer is Windows.

My VPS's, however are all CentOS/Linux based.

Comments

• blackblack Member

Use putty to run tmux on 1 master node. Master node connects to all other nodes in tmux.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@black said: Use putty to run tmux on 1 master node. Master node connects to all other nodes in tmux.

Ah okay, so buy an LEB or something, install tmux on it and then I can connect to all of the others via that?

Are there any other options?

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited July 2012

@black said: Use putty to run tmux on 1 master node. Master node connects to all other nodes in tmux.

I run tmux locally :)

tmux is not for Linux, it is for any UNIX-like OS.

• jhjh Member

I use SecureCRT - they have a $20 student licence available and it's well worth the money. Failing that there are plenty of tabbed versions of PuTTY available like SuperPuTTY

@MrLadoodle said: I run tmux locally :)

Do you have linux as your main OS on your PC though?

@jhadley said: I use SecureCRT - they have a $20 student licence available and it's well worth the money. Failing that there are plenty of tabbed versions of PuTTY available like SuperPuTTY

Thx :)

edited July 2012

@dominicl said: Do you have linux as your main OS on your PC though?

Nope.

The best SSH client is OpenSSH, and its only available for UNIX-like OS's.

I remember this SSH client my father needed for work that supported multiple tabs and protocols, I think it was called multiview or something.

• u4iau4ia Member

If you are running Windows, you can install cygwin and add openssh, then there is an overlay called Console2 that works with cygwin that also enables tabbed sessions.

edited July 2012

@u4ia said: If you are running Windows, you can install cygwin and add openssh, then there is an overlay called Console2 that works with cygwin that also enables tabbed sessions.

I run the BSD variant OS X. :P

If your on Windows and really need Windows, use Cgywin or a VM.

Thanked by 2klikli djvdorp

Looks like I might get an LEB or something and use tmux. Does anybody else use that, apart from who have already mentioned?

• telephonetelephone Member
    edited July 2012

For PuTTY, check out PuTTYCS.
    You could also look into SaltStack, but I don't think that's exactly what you're after. (Doesn't take long to learn Salt).

@telephone - thanks, but will probs just use tmux for now. It looks like more what I'm after.

• Never had much fun with Cygwin on my 64Bit Windows... Installation guide plox? -- Always seems to not work for me.

Anyone know how to get tmux to work and how to use it? I'm a bit stuck. Using CentOS 6.

http://gyazo.com/d3f946c834aa3679ebccba18e1e26b00

Not sure why the line is coming out as special characters - any ideas??

• blackblack Member

Set putty to UTF-8 instead of ISO something.

@black said: Set putty to UTF-8 instead of ISO something.

Thanks, how would i do that?

• BBTNBBTN Member

Windows -> Translation -> Remote character set.

Sorry - i don't really understand that. Tmux is for Linux

• blackblack Member

It's not tmux, it's putty.

Thanks. Is there a way to save putty settings once theyre edited, as when I re open putty, it just goes back to ISO?

edited July 2012

Also, I've got it like this so far
    http://gyazo.com/43cff7533d13bba0a15f163bfe0192fe

how can I add another window below those 2? I've tried but it doen't want to do it as easily as the others.

Resolved :D Can be closed.

• @dominicl said: I'd like something that I can control multiple VPS's from 1 window... my computer is Windows.

My VPS's, however are all CentOS/Linux based.

The best solution is.... install Linux on your computer :) You'd have a tabbed Terminal app for your remote connections. More than that, so many aspects of working with remote Linux boxes just becomes easier when you're also running Linux locally.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • @sleddog said: The best solution is.... install Linux on your computer :) You'd have a tabbed Terminal app for your remote connections. More than that, so many aspects of working with remote Linux boxes just becomes easier when you're also running Linux locally.

Correction, any UNIX-like OS.

People always forget BSD and its derivatives.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • @sleddog said: The best solution is.... install Linux on your computer :) You'd have a tabbed Terminal app for your remote connections.

If you're computer can handle it, running VirtualBox in Seamless mode works wonders!

• tommytommy Member

@dominicl said: Resolved :D Can be closed.

this is not LET style :)

it's better to keep this thread going so maybe we maybe found another usefull tools, rather that asking similiar question on another thread

edited July 2012

Anyone know any other windows-based ones that I could try?

Edit: decided to use MTPutty instead :)

• tommytommy Member

MTPuTTY maybe?

Thanked by 1PacketVM