Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

less AS or less ms?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

less AS or less ms?

klikliklikli Member
edited July 2012 in General

So I am traveling to EU soon and I am looking for a VPS in the East Coast of US to setup a secure proxy since I might surf the net on unencrypted wi-fi's. And the choices are narrowed down to:

1. ColoCrossing Buffalo with either IPXCore or BuyVM (depends on availability) - single-homed with L3
  2. SecureDragon Tampa with SecureDragon - Multihomed with L3, GBLX, FPL and Bright House Networks

Securedragon and ColoCrossing(Buffalo) are 61ms apart but when tested from a Europe location their difference is only ~45ms.

Since I will be moving from places to places, I will not be able to make a decision simply based on speed test's.

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Why don't you just get a VPS in Europe?

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@gsrdgrdghd said: Why don't you just get a VPS in Europe?

+1. Get one in the NL or something with DotVPS.

• klikliklikli Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: Why don't you just get a VPS in Europe?

Pricing factor plus most websites I browse is located in the US, so having a VPS in Europe may end-up with even greater latency.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@klikli said: Pricing factor plus most websites I browse is located in the US, so having a VPS in Europe may end-up with even greater latency.

DotVPS $5 LEB offer = Good

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@klikli said: ColoCrossing Buffalo with either IPXCore or BuyVM (depends on availability)

Was my offer not good enough to consider :( haha

• klikliklikli Member
    edited July 2012

@CVPS_Chris said: Was my offer not good enough to consider :( haha

Probably not, but actually I will continue to rent the VPS if it performs well (ie. reasonable uptime) as DNS/Mail server so 2GB is way too much for me ;)

• @klikli said: Pricing factor plus most websites I browse is located in the US, so having a VPS in Europe may end-up with even greater latency.

Well most sites have CDNs so you should be fine and see a speed improvement over using a proxy in the US.

• klikliklikli Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: Well most sites have CDNs so you should be fine and see a speed improvement over using a proxy in the US.

Sadly both LowEndTalk and WebHostingTalk does not :(

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited July 2012

@klikli said: Sadly both LowEndTalk and WebHostingTalk does not :(

That doesn't change much in times of loading over an US or EU VPN.

Edit: But if you are interested i can to a short test on loading times with different proxies.

• @Prometeus sells Italy Based VM's -- However their global connectivity doesnt seem to be perfect with the 1Gbit port reaching a low of 1-2MB/s to some parts of US.

Thanked by 2ElliotJ tux
  • JacobJacob Member
    edited July 2012

You are most likely better with a VPS in Europe, Perhaps UK?

Manchester, UK - http://just-ping.com/index.php?vh=31.193.6.27&c=&s=ping!
    Jacksonville, USA - http://just-ping.com/index.php?vh=199.167.29.3&c=&s=ping!

Comparing two Just-Ping tests and UK blows Jacksonville(not sure about buffalo) out the water.

Jacksonville has better connectivity to Singapore and the US Mainly, But UK has the advantage of Germany, France, Italy, Sweden, and most EU Countries if not all.

I wouldn't get a US VPS, Unless it is pure Level 3 or if it has a good International backbone.

• I don't know... I get 88 ms from Buffalo, NY to the Netherlands.

• klikliklikli Member
    edited July 2012

@Jacob said: it is pure Level 3

I am afraid that I don't get your point, sorry, sir. Mind elaborate a bit on that?

@TheHackBox said: I don't know... I get 88 ms from Buffalo, NY to the Netherlands.

I'm hitting like 76ms AMS->Buffalo with the L3 looking glass.

• @klikli said: I'm hitting like 76ms AMS->Buffalo with the L3 looking glass.

That's really good considering the server is in another country.

• JacobJacob Member

EU VPS Like Prometeus, and UK Providers(Who have a good network) will always have better results then US providers.

Level 3 (Amsterdam, Netherlands) Ping to 31.193.6.27
    icmp_seq=0 time=12 ms
    icmp_seq=1 time=12 ms
    icmp_seq=2 time=16 ms
    icmp_seq=3 time=12 ms
    icmp_seq=4 time=16 ms
    icmp_seq=5 time=12 ms
    icmp_seq=6 time=12 ms
    icmp_seq=7 time=12 ms
    icmp_seq=8 time=16 ms
    icmp_seq=9 time=12 ms

---- 31.193.6.27 statistics ----
    10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0% packet loss
    rtt min/avg/median/max/mdev/stddev = 12/13.2/12/16/1.296/1.833 ms

@klikli said: I'm hitting like 76ms AMS->Buffalo with the L3 looking glass.

• And on another continent :D

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • CoreyCorey Member

@klikli I think he means level3 is the superior premium network and he wouldn't get anyone that didn't use it.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I have a O32 from securedragon that I use when watching hulu or as a general proxy. For me, I dont really care that much about the ping since I dont play games. I measure speed instead. Securedragon maxes out my 10mb/s I have at home.

• yomeroyomero Member

@MikHo said: For me, I dont really care that much about the ping since I dont play games

Exactly

• flyfly Member

So what if other is only l3? L3 is easily the best carrier in north America, and into Europe.

• vdnetvdnet Member

Just my opinion but I think you should be looking at New York, NY (NYC) Buffalo is upstate New York and not really East Coast.

• flyfly Member

@vdnet you're kidding right

Thanked by 2Kairus lbft
  • DamianDamian Member

I'm a bit late to the party, but: buy both. If you find that SecureDragon's works better than ours, we'll refund your money. No big deal.

• vdnetvdnet Member

@kbar said: @vdnet you're kidding right

>
    Umm, no are you? Buffalo is about 400 miles from the coast. New York city would have much better routes to Europe if latency is important.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Damian said: I'm a bit late to the party, but: buy both. If you find that SecureDragon's works better than ours, we'll refund your money. No big deal.

+1 We offer a 30 Day Money Back Guarantee so if it doesn't work for you we'll give you a full refund also.

• KairusKairus Member
    edited July 2012

@vdnet Wait, so upstate NY isn't "really East Coast"?

Just to test, I used Level3's looking Glass:

ChicagoVPS' Buffalo test IP:

Show Level 3 (London, England) Ping to 75.127.3.3
    icmp_seq=0 time=76 ms
    icmp_seq=1 time=124 ms
    icmp_seq=2 time=76 ms
    icmp_seq=3 time=76 ms
    icmp_seq=4 time=80 ms
    icmp_seq=5 time=76 ms
    icmp_seq=6 time=76 ms
    icmp_seq=7 time=80 ms
    icmp_seq=8 time=76 ms
    icmp_seq=9 time=76 ms

AlienVPS NY (actually in New Jersey) test ip:

Show Level 3 (London, England) Ping to 199.167.194.101
    icmp_seq=0 time=80 ms
    icmp_seq=1 time=84 ms
    icmp_seq=2 time=80 ms
    icmp_seq=3 time=84 ms
    icmp_seq=4 time=80 ms
    icmp_seq=5 time=80 ms
    icmp_seq=6 time=80 ms
    icmp_seq=7 time=132 ms
    icmp_seq=8 time=80 ms
    icmp_seq=9 time=84 ms

URPad NYC test ip:

Show Level 3 (London, England) Ping to 107.6.84.202
    icmp_seq=0 time=100 ms
    icmp_seq=1 time=116 ms
    icmp_seq=2 time=68 ms
    icmp_seq=3 time=72 ms
    icmp_seq=4 time=68 ms
    icmp_seq=5 time=68 ms
    icmp_seq=6 time=72 ms
    icmp_seq=7 time=100 ms
    icmp_seq=8 time=68 ms
    icmp_seq=9 time=68 ms

Thanked by 1klikli
  • vdnetvdnet Member
    edited July 2012

I guess it all depends on your definition of East coast. But no, I wouldn't consider Buffalo and I'm sure anyone from Buffalo wouldn't consider themselves on the east coast. If it takes a 7 hour drive to reach the ocean, you're not very close to the coast. As I said in my original statement, just my opinion, and I stand confident that New York city is going to be a better choice for latency to Europe. I don't see the point in questioning my opinion.

• KairusKairus Member

@vdnet said: I guess it all depends on your definition of East coast. But no, I wouldn't consider Buffalo and I'm sure anyone from Buffalo wouldn't consider themselves on the coast. If it takes a 7 hour drive to reach the ocean, you're not very close to the coast.

• vdnetvdnet Member

Lol, I guess you've never taken the "trek" from Buffalo to New York City. Oh well, no sense in explaining myself further.

• KairusKairus Member
    edited July 2012

@vdnet said: Lol, I guess you've never taken the "trek" from Buffalo to New York City. Oh well, no sense in explaining myself further.

I've taken a similar trip, from Syracuse to NJ, multiple times. Saying that Buffalo, NY isn't east coast is just absurd. It doesn't matter if you're a few hours from the shore. Is West Virginia not on the east coast? What about Pennsylvania, no ocean there, so it's not on the east coast of the United States?