Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Longest Serving VPS Company - Serious Buisness
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Longest Serving VPS Company - Serious Buisness

davidnzdavidnz Member
edited October 2011 in General

Hi All,
I'm about to embark on a new business venture and am going to be buying some VPS.

But i worry so many providers just come out of no where and appear on LowendBox.

I'm after the longest standing and reputable company to take my venture to the world but not at the cost of someone deciding to make a quick buck

So what i'm after is some reassurance and a list of companies that have been around for say 10years or so that i can trust.

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Isn't 10 years a bit much, the only one like that which I can think of is burst.

• XeoncrossXeoncross Member
    edited October 2011

10 years huh? I would be afraid of any host that has been around that long.

I think 4-8 years is a better gauge. However, if you are relying on these boxes then I would stick with the top three here or spend a little more with a company like Linode.

• Has VPS tech been around for that long?

I know I've done hosting since about '97ish and I don't recall VPSes back then.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @drmike very true, i may have been over the top :P

• davidnz said: i may have been over the top

There are/were probably some that provided VPS 10 years ago, but really it started to be a valid migration path about 6 years ago, and if you are asking the question here, I think 1-2 years is probably a better cutoff of age when seeking someone that will be here tomorrow as the majority that occupy the deadpool never made it a year.

• JaguarPC have being in business since 1998!

Another provider have been around since 1996 but I can not remember the name :)

• Interserver.net has been providing web services since 1999 - 12 years. Not sure how long they have offered VPSes.

• NordicVPS said: Another provider have been around since 1996 but I can not remember the name

I started officially in July 1995 as Internet 1st, then as Hostigation in May 2006, but did not start offering VPS until Aug 2007

• so hostigation is good?

• davidnz said: so hostigation is good?

My unbiased opinion thinks they are great ;)

Thanked by 1Mon5t3r
  • haha can you give me a deal?

• What was that? I can't hear you.

• jhjh Member

Linode maybe? I'm hearing a lot of good things about them.

• BurstNET have been around since 1991! Thats 20 years.

Although haven't been doing VPS etc for that long.

• kiloservekiloserve Member
    edited October 2011

davidnz said: So what i'm after is some reassurance and a list of companies that have been around for say 10years or so that i can trust.

We've been selling VPS for almost 5 years....and that would be considered "old" in this industry. The technology for selling VPS servers really didn't mature until 6-7 years ago.

As far as I know, nobody has been selling VPS servers for 10 years.

• daimonbdaimonb Member
    edited October 2011

you could just get a small dedi and colocate within a long standing d/c

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

miTgiB said: I started officially in July 1995 as Internet 1st

Don't even talk about it, that was before I was born. I was born 1997 lol.

• Infinity said: I was born 1997

I was 31 when I started Internet 1st :P

• Infinity said: I was born 1997

Infinity was born...? C O N C E P T I O N!

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • Linode. I don't know anyone disappointed with them :P

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited October 2011

You're not going to find a company that's been doing VPSs for 10 years. ServInt is the oldest that I know of. They were established in 1995 and started offering VPSs in early 2004. I signed up with them in March of that year, and at that time the choices were very limited. ServInt was a great company back then, and I think still is. Hardly lowend though :)

• Many companies that have been around for 10 years or so were either in shared or dedicated back then. Or at least that's how I remember things.

Oh and a +1 for hostigation. Tim seems to have a clue about what he's doing.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I'm after the longest standing and reputable company to take my venture to the world

...and you're looking on LEB? :-)

Thanked by 1drmike
  • lol very true, but no need to go big yet, but want a company i can expand on in a reliable data centre, i have decided to go with eNetSouth good price, and expandable and lowendtalk is hosted there and never had a problem with it.

• very true, but we will see, i only signed up for 1month for a trial, if someone wants to match their 2GB i'll try it now.

• (shakes his head, stuffs his hands in his pockets, turns around and whistles the theme from The Incredible Hulk as he walks away)

• @auroraz you got any suggestions

• davidnz said: very true, but we will see, i only signed up for 1month for a trial, if someone wants to match their 2GB i'll try it now.

@AuroraZ Yes haha, is funny

• @yomero what vps company are you using?