Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Testing] Minstall Version 2.0 Testing, Suggestions & Bug Reporting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Testing] Minstall Version 2.0 Testing, Suggestions & Bug Reporting

maxexcloomaxexcloo Member
edited July 2012 in General

Hey guys,
Many of you may know that I've been working on a major update (sponsored by the kind folks at KnightSwarm, Hb) to my widely used Minstall Server Setup & Management Script and I'm here today to offer a beta version and ask for some assistance in testing, finding bugs and maybe getting some good feature suggestions.

Anyway, without further ado, here are some of the major changes in the newest version:

• Unattended Installation Mode - This is by far the biggest change in the script as it adds a completely new mode of usage, allowing users to create a config file that will enable Minstall to completely install a server for them.
  • Removal of the subdomain requirement in virtual host management sections - No longer will you need to have www.example.com to add your website, you can now simply use example.com or straight domains.
  • Defining a virtual host as the default is now possible through the config file or interactive mode - This will redirect users who visit your servers IP to the default site.
  • vserver support - Thanks to a test box loaned to me by @Chief I performed a simple fix to enable support for the vserver virtualisation platform.
  • Ability to set default server mirror via the config.
  • Many many bug fixes!

Documentation is still a work in progress at this point but the major changes are:

• Unattended mode can be run with the -u flag (the default config file will be used unless a config file is specified after the flag).
  • Unattended config options are outlined in the config file, be sure to take a look through it!

Download link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50041888/Minstall 2.0 Beta 1.tar

To try it out install a fresh Debian 6 server, log in as root and run these commands:

mkdir minstall
cd minstall
wget -O minstall.tar "http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50041888/Minstall 2.0 Beta 1.tar"
tar xfv minstall.tar
rm minstall.tar

I'm looking forward to feedback and queries, thanks, Max.

Just a note, I'm very thankful to KnightSwarm, Hb for funding my development and providing me with test services and because of that I'll be inserting a nice logo below :P

Comments

• Will we ever see any love for Cent/SL?

• @ihatetonyy said: Will we ever see any love for Cent/SL?

If someone offers some patches I'll be happy to take them!

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited July 2012

feature to tell minstall how much memory i have and then get the best config for me. for nginx, php, and mysql.

edit:
    i also like to put my choices in variables, maybe on top of script. so then its autopilot. no need to answer from prompt.

• Thank you for sharing :)
    Currently I'm using Minstall for configuring my server

• @jcaleb: or an options.conf file just like tuxlite

• Take a look at the config.ini file :-)

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • flyfly Member

you should consider putting this up on github for more exposure & easier pull requests & issue tracking.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

Thanks Max and KnightSwarm :P

• @kbar, I'll update the version there when bugs have been ironed out :-)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I think adding a quick Wordpress install option would be cool.

• @jarland said: I think adding a quick Wordpress install option would be cool.

Always handy. This does it so you can probably grab inspiration from there if needed:
    https://github.com/Mins/TuxLite/blob/master/wordpress.sh

@maxexcloo: thanks for the config.ini hint, I was kinda asleep when I viewed your script.

• Feature request: quick install for pptp and openvpn.

And please, remove .ini from the filename :D

Thank you for this wonderful script!

• @RoboCot said: Feature request: quick install for pptp and openvpn.

There's already scripts out there for OpenVPN for CentOS and Debian (although they are a bit dated). You'll have to update the file names but besides for that everything should work.

• @HalfEatenPie said: There's already scripts out there for OpenVPN for CentOS and Debian (although they are a bit dated). You'll have to update the file names but besides for that everything should work.

I know some of them but there are LAMP script also. So why don't gather all useful and more common features in one great and really optimized package?

• @RoboCot true. :P

• @RoboCot said: Feature request: quick install for pptp and openvpn.

It's been in the pipeline for a while, hopefully I can get it going at some point...

@RoboCot said: And please, remove .ini from the filename :D

Any reason why?

• @maxexcloo said: Any reason why?

Might be because .ini might seem to refer to windows OS and people like Open Source OSes here :P

• @djvdorp said: Might be because .ini might seem to refer to windows OS and people like Open Source OSes here :P

Yes. There is no ini file in unix :)

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@djvdorp said: Might be because .ini might seem to refer to windows OS and people like Open Source OSes here :P

Tell that to the php folks

• @miTgiB said: Tell that to the php folks

Lol you're right, forgot php.ini :P

• The ini format was chosen as it is a fairly standard format that can be easily written to and read from in a variety of languages.

• Release Candidate 1 is out after much testing and the following additions:
    + SSL Support (Enabled By Default)
    + Many Attended Mode Fixes
    + Ability To re enable BASH history.
    + Attended mode support for specifying multiple modules (bash minstall.sh module1,module2,etc)
    + phpMyAdmin installation script.
    + PHP Suhosin Bug Fixes (Thanks Zsolt Ero!)
    + Benchmark Script setup script :P
    + Docs folder for additional information.
    + Check Functions in manage modules to prevent duplicate hosts/users.
    + Clean common module to keep nginx and php configs up to date.
    + New method of writing config files, all templates are in manage-common-http
    + Cron cleaning functions.
    + Default host protection courtesy of telephone on Github.
    + Clean base config.
    + Fixed upgrade system typo, thanks Zsolt Ero!
    + Fixed typos ;)

Thanks to any testers, the latest version is here, PLEASE report bugs, I'm almost ready for release!

Thanked by 1jar
  • Can a simplistic upgrade be done for existing installation of Minstall? @Maxexcloo?

• @eastonch said: Can a simplistic upgrade be done for existing installation of Minstall? @Maxexcloo?

It should work for existing servers if you re run the http-install modules, I have yet to test it and such :)

• @maxexcloo i wonder what you fixed from suhosin?

• @djvdorp said: @maxexcloo i wonder what you fixed from suhosin?

Zsolt Ero did some talking to the Tuxlite maintainer and he recommended adding some fixes that they had added ;)

• @maxexcloo Ah okay! Matt (tuxlite's author) is a great guy. I did some debugging of issues from tuxlite with him in the past.

• @djvdorp said: @maxexcloo Ah okay! Matt (tuxlite's author) is a great guy. I did some debugging of issues from tuxlite with him in the past.

Good to hear, if you have him on Skype would you mind PM'ing his information over?

• zserozsero Member
    edited July 2012

@maxexcloo I'm zsero here :-)
    @djvdorp The suhosin code is all commented with references , basically the default is used + the required tweaks from the official phpMyAdmin manual, + a bug for Wordpress menu editing. Everything else is default.

suhosin.post.max_vars = 4096
    suhosin.request.max_vars = 4096
    ; PHPMyAdmin Fixes (http://www.phpmyadmin.net/documentation/#faq1_38)
    suhosin.get.max_value_length = 1024
    suhosin.post.max_array_index_length = 256
    suhosin.post.max_totalname_length = 8192
    suhosin.request.max_array_index_length = 256
    suhosin.request.max_totalname_length = 8192

I'm testing it soon!

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • zserozsero Member
    edited July 2012

@maxexcloo, do you want to integrate phpMyAdmin?

Here is a bash script what works on minstall:

pmadir='/home/zsero/http/hosts/mypma.vhost1.com'

pma_latest='http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpmyadmin/files/phpMyAdmin/3.5.1/phpMyAdmin-3.5.1-english.tar.gz'
    rm -rf /tmp/phpmyadmin
    mkdir /tmp/phpmyadmin
    wget -qO pma.tgz $pma_latest
    tar zxf pma.tgz -C /tmp/phpmyadmin
    rm pma.tgz
    rm -rf $pmadir/*
    cp -Rpf /tmp/phpmyadmin// $pmadir
    rm -rf /tmp/phpmyadmin
    cp config.inc.php $pmadir/

And the config.inc.php:

<?php $cfg['blowfish_secret'] = 'UPWBUyXWwYNyqkU16pkH'; $i=0; $i++; $cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'cookie'; $cfg['SuhosinDisableWarning'] = true; $cfg['PmaNoRelation_DisableWarning'] = true; $cfg['ForceSSL'] = true; $cfg['Servers'][$i]['hide_db'] = '(information_schema|mysql|performance_schema)'; ?>

Ideally you should generate the secret on install (credits to tuxlite):

LENGTH="20"

MATRIX="0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz"
    while [ "${n:=1}" -le "$LENGTH" ]; do
    BLOWFISH="$BLOWFISH${MATRIX:$(($RANDOM%${#MATRIX})):1}"
    let n+=1
    done

Thanked by 1djvdorp