Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

low-end dedicated
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

low-end dedicated

lowendbrowserlowendbrowser Member
edited January 2015 in Requests

I want to run a TMDA mail server. Looking for something along the lines of:

• 2 GB RAM
  • 100+ GB Hdd; more is preferred
  • Debian OS preferred
  • pretty much any CPU
  • Location doesn't matter
  • Budget: < $20. Lower is better. long-term deal acceptable

Would've been ideal:

• Delimiter Atom (no Debian?)
  • Online kidechire/SC-gen2 (out-of-stock)
  • kimsufi KS-1 (out-of-stock. Also, do they accept orders when I'm in asia?)

I'm not in a hurry, so I can take some weeks/months to wait for availability. Any ideas what else is available in this range?

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@lowendbrowser I can offer you a Kidechire, feel free to get in touch if you're interested. The asking price is 12.8 EUR/qtr.

• @lowendbrowser is debian really stopping you from buying off Delimiter? The Atoms are a bargain.

@MarkTurner anything you can do in regards to the missing OS?

• Amd Opteron CPU 1.8Ghz (4 Cores / 4 Threads), 4 GB DDR 2, 2 x 250GB HDD, unmetered 100 mbit connection, 5 usable ips. If bought for 6 Months, price would be $20/Month. If bought Month to Month price would be $35/Month

If interested please do reply

• @biuletech said:
    Amd Opteron CPU 1.8Ghz (4 Cores / 4 Threads), 4 GB DDR 2, 2 x 250GB HDD, unmetered 100 mbit connection, 5 usable ips. If bought for 6 Months, price would be $20/Month. If bought Month to Month price would be $35/Month

If interested please do reply

Link or provider details as per rules?

• Its not available for sale on my webpage as it is a custom made offer. If someone is interested, than Ill create a custom order page. Rules .... simple there is only one rule. Dont flood from the server. Its an offshore one.

• @biuletech said:
    Its not available for sale on my webpage as it is a custom made offer. If someone is interested, than Ill create a custom order page. Rules .... simple there is only one rule. Dont flood from the server. Its an offshore one.

He meant LET's rules, not yours..

• @biuletech said:
    Its not available for sale on my webpage as it is a custom made offer. If someone is interested, than Ill create a custom order page. Rules .... simple there is only one rule. Dont flood from the server. Its an offshore one.

You have now been flagged for not following the rules. Please read:
    http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/15263/lowendtalk-rules-and-guidelines

Thanked by 2ATHK Pwner
  • 0xdragon said: You have now been flagged for not following the rules. Please read:

Thanks for the reminder ...

• lowendbrowserlowendbrowser Member
    edited January 2015

@rm_ Thanks, I will consider it. Kidechire specs are identical to the Dedibox-scg2, except that it does not have any bandwidth guarantee, right?

@ATHK Yeah, I could live with Ubuntu so I have not ruled out the Delimiter Atom. Apart from the OS, I thought the specs appear slightly worse than Kidechire/KS-1: 100GB Hdd vs 500GB Hdd, and D230 is slower than the U2250 or D425/N2800. Moreover, 100GB via SAN should provide reliable storage but probably has higher I/O latency. (do correct if my assumptions are wrong).

By the way, does anyone know if Kimsufi allows orders to be placed from Asia? Are there any particular onerous conditions like supplying lots of PII, VAT payable even outside EU, etc?

edited January 2015

lowendbrowser said: except that it does not have any bandwidth guarantee, right?

Also it has a 160GB HDD and not a 500GB one.

lowendbrowser said: 100GB via SAN should provide reliable storage but probably has higher I/O latency.

SAN will be much slower (not to mention less reliable) than a directly attached HDD.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2015

@lowendbrowser said:
    I want to run a TDMA mail server. Looking for something along the lines of...

Any specific reason for the dedicated box? Could I interest you in a VDS? VMWARE with a clean ip or I can provide a block of ips upto /24 (256)

• rm_ said: SAN will be much slower (not to mention less reliable) than a directly attached HDD.

Less reliable, really? Elsewhere, I run a bunch of VMs with storage imported via NFS (because iSCSI was an unnecessary bother). Off the Internet, else I'd just spin up a VM for this purpose.

pbgben said: Any specific reason for the dedicated box? Could I interest you in a VDS? VMWARE with a clean ip or I can provide a block of ips upto /24 (256)

I already have plenty of VPS. But frankly, with my budget VPS providers, I don't trust them to pay attention to more than their bottom line; ie. security is probably not their priority. Email is very important to me because password resets go there. To keep this simple, I decided to manage the box myself. (For this reason, I also prefer not to go with a reseller who can take back ownership at any time)

edited January 2015

lowendbrowser said: Less reliable, really?

I just remember seeing a number of complaints here and I think also on WHT, about these Delimiter Atoms suddenly going down en-masse. Of course turned out to be a problem with SAN. Also VPS.net had a lot of issues with their SAN, even made it to the "general" news: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03/06/cloud_hoster_san_upgrade_foulup/

lowendbrowser said: (For this reason, I also prefer not to go with a reseller who can take back ownership at any time)

I'd give at least a months notice if I needed it back (which I don't expect in the foreseeable future).

• Check ovh.co.uk . They provide very cheap dedicated server.

• Thanks for this suggestion. I do like the specs implying that each customer is on a separate VLAN. But, hmm... $16/mth vs $5.6 for KS-1...

rm_ said: I just remember seeing a number of complaints here and I think also on WHT, about these Delimiter Atoms suddenly going down en-masse. Of course turned out to be a problem with SAN. Also VPS.net had a lot of issues with their SAN, even made it to the "general" news

Ok. As with other infrastructure faults, it's true that a SAN failure could cause widespread outage. Such widespread outage would hit the news and be more complex to fix too. Still, I'd guess that the expected downtime due to a failure of DAS would exceed that of a SAN, ceteris paribus.

euservr said: Check ovh.co.uk . They provide very cheap dedicated server.

They sure do. I'm also considering the Kimsufi KS-1 if I can catch them in-stock and make the order before they disappear. Do I just have to keep reloading the page until it is in stock? (Yes, I can script a check for it) Any known restrictions for orders from Asia?

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

@lowendbrowser

I am sorry if it has been said but is your budget by month or by year ?

• lowendbrowserlowendbrowser Member
    edited January 2015

Thanks. Hmm, for my awareness, is oneprovider a reseller?

Ikoula said: I am sorry if it has been said but is your budget by month or by year ?

I had meant $20/mth maximum, but it'd take something pretty special for me to pay that when there are ~$5 options that meet my requirements. I don't even know what would be so special as to make me pay that yet :)

Are there $20/year dedicated servers options approaching my requirements?

• The options you mentioned in your first post are for single HDD dedi (except the Delimiter one, which is SAN based). Is a single HDD acceptable for you, considering it will be used to store the important emails of your customers?

• @rds100 I agree for mail I would expect a minimum of RAID1.

• @lowendbrowser said:
    Are there $20/year dedicated servers options approaching my requirements?

laughs

Unfortunately not :(

• rds100 said: The options you mentioned in your first post are for single HDD dedi (except the Delimiter one, which is SAN based). Is a single HDD acceptable for you, considering it will be used to store the important emails of your customers?

Thanks for keeping an eye out for my customers :)

It will only be used for my personal email. Even then, it will only store the emails long enough for the sender to respond to the TMDA challenge. The rest is as good as spam, so I don't anticipate much mail being stored.

• Well then i can offer you two possible Atom based configurations, one with 30GB SSD, the other with 3TB HDD. Neither is less than $20/monthly, but is cheaper for longer terms.

• @lowendbrowser said:

• kimsufi KS-1 (out-of-stock. Also, do they accept orders when I'm in asia?)

You'll probably need to go through Validation at worst

@lowendbrowser said:
    I already have plenty of VPS. But frankly, with my budget VPS providers, I don't trust them to pay attention to more than their bottom line; ie. security is probably not their priority. Email is very important to me because password resets go there. To keep this simple, I decided to manage the box myself. (For this reason, I also prefer not to go with a reseller who can take back ownership at any time)

I can understand that a "kid" could just shut shop on you, we're not like that give me a call if you like. You could also use a reputable provider... DO, Vultr, Google.... etc

• @pbgben said:
    I can understand that a "kid" could just shut shop on you, we're not like that give me a call if you like. You could also use a reputable provider... DO, Vultr, Google.... etc

But they don't sell dedicated servers for the price he wants.. hell two of them don't sell dedicated servers at all.. and vultr has terrible support IMO..

@ATHK said:
    But they don't sell dedicated servers for the price he wants.. hell two of them don't sell dedicated servers at all.. and vultr has terrible support IMO..

It was a suggestion for a VPS. He didn't want the provider to "run off" with his money or data

• @pbgben said:

Face Palm, he doesn't want a VPS or VDS he stated that in the title...