Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[REVIEW] Prometeus - KVM7 (Italy) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[REVIEW] Prometeus - KVM7 (Italy)

2»

Comments

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2012

@Maounique said: Back on topic, there were a couple of days I had serious packet loss at prometeus, but otherwise absolutely no problem for many months now.

ddos are the plague for low end offers. At some point I was thinking to not accept order anymore because of the ddos we were receiving.

Having 10G upstream connection even the largest ddos (we got a few >3Gbps) however affected only the single node and for limited time but it was unacceptable for us to offer services with so much troubles caused from kids and botnet. Luckily we have a sFlow collector that help us to catch target/source flows in real time so most threat are identified and stopped in a matter of minutes. But this wasn't of any relief for me :(

Most users were alerted to stay with 2 foot in one shoe (as we say in Italy) and every single abuse sanctioned. We had more than 150 cancellation in two weeks...

So we had to change our mind about giving services for almost free "month by month" to let people try us and only give high discount for longer commitments.

:P

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2012

@prometeus said: So we had to change our mind about giving services for almost free "month by month" to let people try us and only give high discount for longer commitments.

Yep, but then you are not so lowend anymore, which is not a bad thing, since there is a need for a big choice, I can get lowend stuff for very lowend money that will work lowend, and I can get good stuff for lowend money that will work well. You are in my second preferred category, with promotions and all, the deal is great :)
    Regarding DDoS, having a fat pipe in EU, while the most bots are in Asia and US is very safe, I think some lowend providers should put together their resources and buy fat pipes to stay safe of DDoSes, 100 mbps or 1 gbps is far too low for today script kiddies.
    M

@Maounique said: Yep, but then you are not so lowend anymore

Once you asked me what retention had our 90% off introductory discount, now time is passed and I have that figures: near to 0, almost nobody that used the service for the first month (and some for 3 months!) with the 90% of discount renewd the service at regular price (or at 20% discount we were offering at the time)...

:-)

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited July 2012

Hence you focus on long term engagement now, right?

@jcaleb said: Hence you focus on long term engagement now, right?

Yes, and they are right. Once ppl trust that you wont pack shop tomorrow, that you have a proven record of quality, then you can do that without any problems.
    Really lowend is wild, both for host and for non-fraud customers, it needs a lot of hard work and thinking, but this creates the environment that will produce good hosts.
    In time, those good hosts will grow complacent and other good hosts will come from behind.
    I can name a few here in all the categories, but I am sure you already know them well :P
    M

Thanked by 1jcaleb
    edited July 2012

@jcaleb said: Hence you focus on long term engagement now, right?

At least a three months commitment to have better deal, yes :)
    This way we hope to discourage most of the one month abuser...

Edit: that said, if you look at our regular monthly prices they are still on par or better than other hosts. What we do is to offer better deals for longer commitments. :P

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • marrcomarrco Member
    edited July 2012

@Maounique said: Really lowend is wild, both for host and for non-fraud customers

good point here. Not being interested in shady activities i've often problems finding good hosts where i don't share the node with wannabe hackers/ddosers/leet pirates. And i'm willing to pay a little more, and use less resources and cause lot less troubles.

what are you favorite high-end budget providers in Europe?

mine are:
    -) Prometeus (Italy) (ovz and kvm)
    -) OpenITC XenVZ (UK) (xen)
    -) PCSmart Group XEN Smart (UK) (ovz and xen)

and i price i consider ok is about 25-40 eur for a low end annual VPS. 50EUR/year can be a good price for a small BIZ vps where there is less overselling.

BTW, i do prefer yearly contracts because I want a great discount, and have no fear about being suspended due to abuse. And my time to setup a vps (including monitoring, backup, dns etc) is worth more than a few bucks. Less administrative overhead, less paypal fees. And probably better neighbours.
    And the very few times i need a node for just one or two months i don't mind spending a few extra euro.

It's sad when i read that 100% of the people that profited from the 90% discount of Prometeus didn't renew at full price.

Thanked by 2jcaleb djvdorp
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

this is exactly what i wanted to say.

• @marrco said: what are you favorite high-end budget providers in Europe?

• EDIS.at
    • Prometheus
    • XenVZ
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

Mine is:

Prometeus
    AllSimple

YMMV
    I cant afford the whole year, usually, and I go with really cheap deals for a month not being scared by abusers.
    I am also rejected many times because of automatic rejectors as maxmind which dont like various countries, for example, so my choice is really limited and the nodes I am hosted on very likely to get abused.
    When I find a good host I stick to it, but at times I need to cancel because of downtime, because of lack of money, because ppl I got them for are no longer in need, etc.
    I have very good ways to test a host and see if it can be up to the job while also giving something for a more free and open net. I install Tor relays or even exit nodes where allowed, also freenet where not allowed or the bw is insufficient but the io allows it.
    ATM Prometeus makes the top of my list also then comes Edis.
    M

• rds100rds100 Member

@Maounique MaxMind doesn't flag Romania as high risk country anymore.

Thanked by 1Maounique

@rds100 said: MaxMind doesn't flag Romania as high risk country anymore.

Hum, it must be so, I havent been rejected in some time. Thanks for the info.
    M

• PhilPhil Member

@prometeus said: Most users were alerted to stay with 2 foot in one shoe (as we say in Italy) and every single abuse sanctioned. We had more than 150 cancellation in two weeks...

So we had to change our mind about giving services for almost free "month by month" to let people try us and only give high discount for longer commitments.

Glad to see that. I really prefer not to share the node with abusers.

"2 foot in one shoe": damned, will no more buy italian shoes :-)

@marrco said: what are you favorite high-end budget providers in Europe?

Prometeus, EDIS.

Thanked by 1marrco