Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another SolusVM Alternatives Thread...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Another SolusVM Alternatives Thread...

jhjh Member
edited July 2012 in General

... This time for KVM.

I'm not a fan of SolusVM at all but I've been using them for Killer IO to get up and running quickly. Now that I am up and running I want to look at something else.

2 Options I'm looking at now:

1) Cloudstack - looks great but requires a decent size server to run it, doesn't integrate with WHMCS so would have to buy HostBill (also a bit iffy about this - I'm not sure how stable their company is), not sure how easy it would be to move from Solus.

2) Build my own probably using https://www.webvirtmgr.net/ as a base. Complete flexibility but would require a lot of time to do it all. Could sell it when it's done possibly, for anyone else who doesn't like Solus!

Any thoughts?

Thanked by 1martip07

Comments

• TaylorTaylor Member

I would say its much more likely you are going to rebrand/sell before hostbill goes away..

Thanked by 1Kairus
  • +1

Second idea. As you now know solusvm is crap!

Thanked by 1tux
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@jhadley said: Any thoughts?

What about SolusVM for KVM do you not like? I'm not a huge fan of ISO only installs, I hear Virtualizor has templates for KVM but is lacking in many other areas.

• How about proxmox ? Am using that on a few servers atm

• jhjh Member
    edited July 2012

@liam said: Second idea!

Just thinking about how long it would take to get something useable up and running, already working 2 jobs!

@Taylor said: I would say its much more likely you are going to rebrand/sell before hostbill goes away..

Thanks for that.

@miTgiB said: What about SolusVM for KVM do you not like?

ISO only installs like you mentioned, no command queuing, the interface as a whole, the support, the fact that everything's encrypted so you're relying on their support, no bulk actions, the horrid feeling I get paying them for the above simply because there isn't much else out there, VirtIO can't be enabled by default...

EDIT: add lack of good backup functionality to that list

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@jhadley said: everything's encrypted

You really answered your own question with that. So now your only question left is write your own or start/join an open source project.

Personally, I can't code, not that it is impossible, but I have better places to devote my time, but those that have the talent, I have money to keep it funded and the work flowing. So I get a bit irritated that everyone wants to write their own, when that number of people are all working independent of one another, and probably avoid forming/joining a like minded group to see the project move forward in fear their idea will allow the competition to get a step up on them. Please, none of us as individual companies are going to get a step up on anyone, there is just far too great a pool of potential clients for any one of us to serve based on the clients varying needs and location wants.

Thanked by 1maxexcloo
  • jhjh Member
    edited July 2012

I'm actually in the same boat as you - I'd rather not code. I do enough coding at Highwire for one thing. Coding would be a last resort if nothing suitable exists.

• subigosubigo Member

@miTgiB said: So I get a bit irritated that everyone wants to write their own, when that number of people are all working independent of one another, and probably avoid forming/joining a like minded group to see the project move forward in fear their idea will allow the competition to get a step up on them.

I've tried to find people to contribute to a bunch of different open source web hosting script ideas. The problem is everyone wants something different. For example, a VPS panel... some people will help if it only supports OpenVZ, others will only help if supports everything, some will only help if there is no main panel and it all works with modules. Some will help if it's PHP, others insist on something else, etc... blah blah blah. Unless it meets what they need, nobody is willing to help. Or at least that's what I've come across so far. And programmers without hosting experience aren't interested in learning how things like virtualization works (at least not unless they are going to get paid).

• TazTaz Member

Virtualizor is pretty decent ( from demo) plus a fast support ( not great support) .

Trying to do something with subigos panel but been busy with other things. One of the leb user @Keys was supposed to release something but it is past due.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@subigo said: Unless it meets what they need, nobody is willing to help.

That's really too bad. As VPS providers we need a solid panel to remain the small indy providers were are or the big corp. boys will come along and eat our lunch. I saw this in the 90's with dialup, I saw it again with web hosting, and how long before they do it to VPS hosting?

• jhjh Member

Having a play around with Cloudstack now - it looks pretty good!

Thanked by 1ChrisK
  • @miTgiB said: That's really too bad. As VPS providers we need a solid panel to remain the small indy providers were are or the big corp. boys will come along and eat our lunch. I saw this in the 90's with dialup, I saw it again with web hosting, and how long before they do it to VPS hosting?

BrandX killed us in the DialUp days. All the RBOC's charged us 19.95 per dsl line, and sold it themselves for the same exact price. We were completely cutoff from a profit, plus they could offer unlimited while we could not.

The Dialup ISP days saw the biggest diversity in the telecom sector. Since then it's been all downhill with 2 ISP's in nearly every town and rising prices.

• As for what we should all do from a perspective of a common VPS Panel for our customers is this.

Open Source Panel.

Modular - Customer gets one interface, if he's using the OpenVZ Module for a VPS some options show up others stay the same. If another VPS is KVM different functions are available. Backup & DNS would also be modular or tied to the OVZ/Xen/KVM Modules.

The reason I say modular is like others said, certain folks wont work on OVZ features if they do not use it. On the other hand, a lot of people use several and one, and those groups can develop their individual modules the way the group sees fit.

The common panel functions would be worked on by all who wanted to see a nice easy panel for the customers and from an administration angle put in the best features to support our customers and make our lives easier.

• TazTaz Member

Agreed with Corey.
    Moduler open source system would be the best. But one issue, with free plugins, comes free issues ( especially for those who will install pretty much everything that is free) for example Trojan, key loggers etc.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited July 2012

@NinjaHawk said: Moduler open source system would be the best.

I agree modular would be best so those that did not wish to contribute time to OpenVZ could devote it to KVM and still offer something overall.. Someone that wants something nobody else cares about can write their custom module as well. I've seen a good handful of people want to invent this wheel on their own, and it just seems like such a waste of talent to not pool the resources all have to offer. The saddest part is this discussion is nearing a year old now.

• TazTaz Member

Why not lets team up and invest some money and get some good Dev ( or if some one like subigo and Mr Keith Myers decides to.volunteer their vaable skill and time).

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@NinjaHawk said: Why not lets team up and invest some money

I am going to want to see a project that doesn't look like it is going to fall apart quickly before I throw cash at it. I figure I will toss 50% of whatever I would have paid SolusLabs, which was over $800 last quarter, not a ton of cash, but more than nothing.

I dunno what @subigo's availability is like after he just sold his panel, he might be under some agreement that prevents it. But if I do see something come together, I will not be shy to support it.

• subigosubigo Member
    edited July 2012

@miTgiB said: I dunno what @subigo's availability is like after he just sold his panel, he might be under some agreement that prevents it. But if I do see something come together, I will not be shy to support it.

I can contribute to anything... I just can't release something of my own or use the name BoxCtrl. I'm all for contributing to a panel if someone can just get things started. Hell, a name and a forum would be good enough. I'm willing to contribute to the following (in PHP):

• A VPS control panel
    • An admin panel for linux servers (single user)
    • A shared hosting panel
    • A support system / billing system / or both
  • TazTaz Member

@subigo you got a deal than.'

• TazTaz Member

And I am not kidding. Forum+Domain+dhshsjdj me +Tim?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@NinjaHawk said: And I am not kidding. Forum+Domain+dhshsjdj me +Tim?

Well, I can't code, but I can surely toss ideas of what I would want in a panel, and what I can live without. And you guys come up with a name and I'll toss in a VPS to host whatever and buy the domain.

• FreePanel OpenVirt Virtzilla (dunno if the moz folks would like that one)

• TazTaz Member
    edited July 2012

I will toss up a vps if needed as well as domain+hosting if needed
    I already got some names
    Nodepanel?
    controlX?

• Any benefit of using google code for a gathering point

• AsadAsad Member
    edited July 2012

If you guys set up a site, forum, repo then I'm up for helping (PHP, bug fixing, testing, etc). A modular vps panel with billing and support would be a great project.

• In the previous 'open source panels' thread several alternatives were mentioned. Use one of them, or build off of them.

• TazTaz Member

We need a name and @subigos approval.

• TazTaz Member

Maybe @Kujoe can chime in. He is.famous for O.S dev works.

• subigosubigo Member

@NinjaHawk said: We need a name and @subigos approval.

Like I said, I'm in. But I'd like it if we had at least three people who agreed to contribute to code. I only have so much free time and don't want to end up doing the entire thing myself. And I know OpenVZ inside and out, but not other platforms. With the exception of playing with Xen, I've never even touched anything else for more than a day.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@subigo said: With the exception of playing with Xen

Since both Xen and KVM can be manipulated with virt-manager in X I would imagine they have very similar API's