Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone here use ksplice - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does anyone here use ksplice

2»

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2012

Here's the response I got:

Ksplice is a feature of Oracle Linux Premier Support, which is only for

systems running Oracle Linux. If you would like to purchase support for
    other RHEL-based systems you should contact Oracle Linux Support
    directly
    (http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/linux/OracleLinuxSupport/index.html).

As a side note, Ksplice used to be sold as a stand-alone subscription.

While we no longer provide this service we have not dropped support for
    any distributions for our existing customers.

Best regards,

Tim

I used the "cost calculator" on the link they provided and a single server with 8 cores and 5 or more virtual guests is $1,199/year. 2 servers would be $2,398/year.

• TazTaz Member

Mother of Oracles!
    @KuJoe
    Unless I am doing 30$ for 128Mb, I am not going to get ksplice. However anyone has experience with kexec??

• PADPAD Member
    edited July 2012

That's pathetic. God damn I hate corporate takeovers.

But gotta love that Pre-Oracle account with 6 server subscriptions I've been letting run on without use for almost a year O_O

Ebay...here I come..

• TazTaz Member

@PAD Want to sell your account ? :P

• PADPAD Member

Sure, 50% off.. lets say...599$/year!

Haha.

• PADPAD Member

Okay, got one of my accounts recovered.

I have a lifetime account, I think I worked out a bug in their system ages ago when it first came out which allowed me to take advantage of this.

I have a permanent access key which I will be willing to sell for the handsome price of 999 cookies, shipped directly to Russia, milk does not need to be included.

Muhahahahaha, I love corporate takeovers!

• TazTaz Member

@PAD do you accept Chips Ahoy !

• PADPAD Member
    edited July 2012
  • @PAD how about pies?

• @halfeatenpie i'm starting to wonder where your nick came from :P ?

• @djvdorp its from pies.

Its always from pies.

The Pie is the Alpha, and the Omega.

• If you take the kslc from ksplice you get pie.

Coincidence?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Nope, the Pie is in everything.
    M

• DamianDamian Member

I'm made out of pie.

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Free for Oracle Linux, Ubuntu and Fedora
    http://www.ksplice.com/pricing

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@HalfEatenPie said: The Pie is the Alpha, and the Omega.

Actually, the Pie is the Pi.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Too much pie is hurting my head, how is that possible?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@MrLadoodle said: Too much pie is hurting my head, how is that possible?

Try running the script HalfEaten.py

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@raindog308 said: Try running the script HalfEaten.py

You can't just rename udp.pl to anything you want

Thanked by 1MrAndroid
  • Yes it runs on my OVZ nodes. Like others have said, prevents hacks, but does not add features so occasionally a reboot can be necessary.

To be honest, I wouldn't have much use for Ksplice on my OpenVZ nodes. I don't foresee my updating the kernel anytime soon since the latest "stable" OpenVZ kernels aren't very good (giving clients the ability to bring down a whole node with a single command is not very stable in my book).

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@KuJoe said: I don't foresee my updating the kernel anytime soon since the latest "stable" OpenVZ kernels aren't very good

Which are you using? I have EL5 nodes running ovz that have 6-12 months of uptime, I wouldn't leave them up that long if it weren't for ksplice providing security updates.

I'm still on 2.6.18-238.19.1.el5.028stab092.2, one day OpenVZ will release a kernel that fixes the TUN bugs and I'll finally be able to upgrade. :)

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@KuJoe said: one day OpenVZ will release a kernel that fixes the TUN bugs

[root@ovz02 ~]# uname -a
    Linux ovz02.hostigation.com 2.6.18-274.7.1.el5.028stab095.1 #1 SMP Mon Oct 24 20:49:24 MSD 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    [root@ovz02 ~]# uptrack-uname -a
    Linux ovz02.hostigation.com 2.6.18-308.el5.028stab099.3 #1 SMP Wed Mar 7 15:56:00 MSK 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    [root@ovz02 ~]# uptime
     22:16:14 up 135 days, 21:52,  3 users,  load average: 3.60, 3.58, 3.54

What TUN bugs? I see 5 users running OpenVPN on this node, and I would imagine I would find a like number on every ovz node, and this place would be a nightmare of users bitching at me if it didn't work. I mean if it is something and you are being more critical than I would be, fair enough, but I really don't have issues with TUN.

edited July 2012

@miTgiB said: I really don't have issues with TUN.

You are lucky then. I've got a few commands that will kernel panic an OpenVZ node using TUN but so far only a few of my clients have found these commands so they must not be widely known (nor do I plan on sharing them, but here's an example: http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&th=10246). I and a few others have also experienced kernel panics when we try to migrate a VPS with TUN enabled to a node with a newer kernel.

• rds100rds100 Member

Strangely i haven't experienced such crash when using tun either. But i stopped using live migration some time ago, when i got a node crash while performing live migration.

• PADPAD Member

@KuJoe

Hell yeah.

I could sign up on 10 of the biggest OpenVZ LEB providers right now and kernel crash every node within 24hours. I hate OpenVZ.