Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FirstVDS (Russia) 1 month review (English)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FirstVDS (Russia) 1 month review (English)

Just a quick review since I've only had the service for a month and I'm not sure whether to renew it or not since I don't really need it.

I originally signed up to this host when the Ruble dropped in value, and I thought I would use it to test out a cheap VPS.

The website is in Russian only, but works fine with Google translate. Once you register an account for their billing manager (which consists of your name, email and a password) you can change the language to English. The same goes for their VPS manager. For some reason every Russian host seems to use ISPSystem's BILLmanager, and FirstVDS (not sure about others) uses ISPSystem's VMmanager which is actually a really nice panel. I can't find an option for tun/tap in there though if you need that.

I sent one message to support (in English) with a query (asking if the port was 1000mbps like it says on their website), and they replied (in Russian, I had to Google translate) saying they're all 100mbps.

I got this plan which cost 60 rubles (about £0.67 ($1) when I signed up, £0.60 ($0.90) now) for 256MB RAM, 10GB HDD space, and an unmetered 100mbit connection. It works by paying for 60 rubles, which are added to your account, and then they take about 2 rubles (60/30) per day. I don't know if you can cancel midway through the month and stop paying or not. There is no discount for paying yearly.

Hardware performance is actually pretty good. Feels quick and responsive. The templates are all minimum as well I think (I only used Debian)

CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5645  @ 2.40GHz
Number of cores : 1
CPU frequency :  1596.000 MHz
Total amount of ram : 256 MB
Total amount of swap : 0 MB

1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 1.28546 s, 835 MB/s

System Benchmarks Index Values               BASELINE       RESULT    INDEX
Dhrystone 2 using register variables         116700.0   13426771.6   1150.5
Double-Precision Whetstone                       55.0       2937.3    534.1
Execl Throughput                                 43.0       4418.9   1027.7
File Copy 1024 bufsize 2000 maxblocks          3960.0     467644.8   1180.9
File Copy 256 bufsize 500 maxblocks            1655.0     123812.1    748.1
File Copy 4096 bufsize 8000 maxblocks          5800.0    1077592.7   1857.9
Pipe Throughput                               12440.0     799786.2    642.9
Pipe-based Context Switching                   4000.0     176214.6    440.5
Process Creation                                126.0       9156.3    726.7
Shell Scripts (1 concurrent)                     42.4       5959.2   1405.5
Shell Scripts (8 concurrent)                      6.0        903.7   1506.2
System Call Overhead                          15000.0     684445.1    456.3
                                                                   ========
System Benchmarks Index Score                                         876.7

Network performance on the other hand, is pretty good in Russia. Everywhere else... it's not
the best.

Overall for the price and location, you get a nice little box for under $1/mo.

If you feel like signing up, they currently have a 25% off discount for their normal OpenVZ/KVM VPSes (not this one, this one I've reviewed for 60 rubles is some kind of special offer already)

If you feel like signing up this link is a non-affiliate link to the VPS I used. here is an affiliate link if you feel kind.

Thanked by 2outime soda

Comments

• I was looking for a cheap russian provider so this makes my day. Shame that they didn't accept my phone number for verification purposes so I had to submit a ticket and now I'm waiting.

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited January 2015

I got myself a very nice KVM VPS at vstoike.ru, not so much because I needed one but the price was good and I mainly wanted to do something (if only a small gesture) to show that there are Westerners who do not dislike Russia but support it while it's terrorized by "our" (actually the politician gangs) sanctions.
    That's also why I took a bigger VPS than I needed. Because I would feel lousy and dirty to abuse the current Ruble weakness.

Je ne suis pas Charlie. Je suis Odessa.

Anyway, it's a 512MB/30GB/3TB KVM VPS for 38$/year which is a decent price.
    Oh, and the site is available in english, too, as is the (SolusVM, I think) panel. There's also friendly support people who speak english.

It's working very nicely and fast and the connectivity is by no means bad. Actually it's around 50 or 60 ms to Western Europe.

But the small and very cheap VPS introduced by the OP sounds also attractive although similar VPS can be found for even less.

Thanks for the review

Thanked by 2rm_ kingpin
  • @outime said:
    I was looking for a cheap russian provider so this makes my day. Shame that they didn't accept my phone number for verification purposes so I had to submit a ticket and now I'm waiting.

they accepted mine, it was a UK mobile number.

@bsdguy said:
    I got myself a very nice KVM VPS at vstoike.ru, not so much because I needed one but the price was good and I mainly wanted to do something (if only a small gesture) to show that there are Westerners who do not dislike Russia but support it while it's terrorized by "our" (actually the politician gangs) sanctions.
    That's also why I took a bigger VPS than I needed. Because I would feel lousy and dirty to abuse the current Ruble weakness.

Anyway, it's a 512MB/30GB/3TB KVM VPS for 38$/year which is a decent price.
    Oh, and the site is available in english, too, as is the (SolusVM, I think) panel. There's also friendly support people who speak english.

It's working very nicely and fast and the connectivity is by no means bad. Actually it's around 50 or 60 ms to Western Europe.

But the small and very cheap VPS introduced by the OP sounds also attractive although similar VPS can be found for even less.

Thanks for the review

Yeah I've heard good things about vStoike. I would consider them, but I don't really need a VPS in Russia I was just curious so I went for something cheap.

• you mean after order/sign up with them they have phone verification too ?

damn , didnt know that before

• They don't like my German phone number as well.. :/

• @nexusrain said:
    They don't like my German phone number as well.. :/

I thought it would only happen with small countries like the one where I live. Then I guess a bunch of us will have the same problem.

However I opened a ticket to support and we scheduled a time to give me a call to confirm that it's my number. I suggested to use a SMS approach because my Russian is inexistent but they still wanted to call me. Hope they'll speak English or this will be funny at least.

Note that if you write the ticket in English they may ask you to write it in Russian as they did with me. But not an issue since Google Translate seems to be understandable (try to write very simple English to translate though).

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Do they accept PayPal?

• can you do a speedtest to seattle or Vancouver just to see how it would perform all the way here

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited January 2015

Going to give this a go, signing up with your affiliate link now!

Everything is simple. You pay us the money until the money run out, we provide you with the services VDS hosting.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • another cheap one i seen is berivps.ru , they have openvz vps with 256mb ram for 58rubles / 90cent

hxxp://berivds.ru/ 256mb Ovz vps = 0.89 usd

does berivds has phone verification as well as Firstvds ? does anyone tested them?
    how about their uptime , network and i/o disk hdd performance ?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

soda said: another cheap one i seen is berivps.ru , they have openvz vps with 256mb ram for 58rubles / 90cent

hxxp://berivds.ru/ 256mb Ovz vps = 0.89 usd

does berivds has phone verification as well as Firstvds ? does anyone tested them? how about their uptime , network and i/o disk hdd performance ?

It says "Berihoster" right there in the title -- did you try searching on LET? http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/39601/berihoster-ru-not-very-sweet-at-all

• @rm_ said:
    It says "Berihoster" right there in the title -- did you try searching on LET? http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/39601/berihoster-ru-not-very-sweet-at-all

they are same host (berihoster.ru/berivds.ru) , i already seen that thread which you mentioned and i wanted to know if this host (berivds.ru) has phone verfication too ?
    because they have same price .

• I have this berihoster machine.. it's slow, it's quite slow... tun/tap is disabled, but I'm waiting since friday for the techie to enable it upon my request.... the 100mbit connection indeed is capped to 500kbyte/s and upon my question how come they mentioned that 100mbit is the physical port speed... With me something went wrong during payment. I had paid through paypal... it was deducted from my account but my VPS never got activated... took me about 2 hours of replying to their tickets to get them convinced I did pay....and they apologised.... no biggy!

But hey: it's only $0.80 or something like that.... even for that price I like it! It's great to fiddle around and try some stuff... For that price I'd recommend anyone lol without having any expectations :P

Thanked by 1soda
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited January 2015

Also failed with 2 Numbers on the verfication thing, they told me to create a ticket. Lets wait.

edit: Worked, got a response in english, same as the phone call no problems so far.

• @bashed said:
    can you do a speedtest to seattle or Vancouver just to see how it would perform all the way here

Sorry guys didn't know you'd have so much trouble with the phone verification. Worked OK for me.

Thanked by 1bashed
  • @trexos said:
    Do they accept PayPal?

Nope, I used Webmoney with my debit card. Had no trouble with it.

• hostnoob said: Sorry guys didn't know you'd have so much trouble with the phone verification. Worked OK for me.

UK mobile or landline??

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited January 2015

@linuxthefish said:
    UK mobile or landline??

UK mobile. I think I put the number as 0044< number without the first 0 >

Thanked by 1linuxthefish

3 Days and already 2hours of downtime, lets See if it is stable in the next Werks.

• @Infinity580 said:
    3 Days and already 2hours of downtime, lets See if it is stable in the next Werks.

which one is this vstoike or firstvds?

• @bsdguy said:
    I mainly wanted to do something (if only a small gesture) to show that there are Westerners who do not dislike Russia but support it while it's terrorized by "our" (actually the politician gangs) sanctions.

>

do you mind telling me where you are from i'm curious.

also I believe there's no need to compare pain. Charlie or Odessa or Nigeria or whatever.

peace

Thanked by 1hostnoob

@kerouac FirstVDS

• I don't compare pain. I compare media hype (c.h.) and ignorance (Odessa, Syria, ...).