Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who are the best free SSL providers? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who are the best free SSL providers?

Comments

• Lol, why do you guys do this to yourselves? Too much free time?

Thanked by 2switsys NanoG6
  • @rds100 said:
    Lol, why do you guys do this to yourselves? Too much free time?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Meanwhile I am waiting now after getting the same message:

4n0nx said: the staff will process your order immediately (Estimated Completion Time: 2015-01-19 08:59).

Wondering if it only issues certs instantly if you did not use the CSR option (as some already got theirs).

• rds100 said: Lol, why do you guys do this to yourselves? Too much free time?

If it works then I will have saved $price*$amountofdomains. :)

• The WoSign Free SSL is cross signed by StartSSL.

So, for non-Chinese users(I mean those who can read English), it makes no difference with the StartSSL. Only to add up some risk though, for you need to trust a random new company in Mainland China.

• I got mines without the CSR option.
    Direct entries...

• @cnbeining said:
    The WoSign Free SSL is cross signed by StartSSL.

So, for non-Chinese users(I mean those who can read English), it makes no difference with the StartSSL. Only to add up some risk though, for you need to trust a random new company in Mainland China.

So... It makes sense if you plan not to change it for 2 years... Startcom promises 1 year, this site 2 years... Well.. I feel too lazy, so I grab one of this

• Nomad said: So... It makes sense if you plan not to change it for 2 years... Startcom promises 1 year, this site 2 years... Well.. I feel too lazy, so I grab one of this

yes I like the 2 years,too. From what I read it can be revoked for free,too? StartSSL charges money for that iirc.

cnbeining said: it makes no difference with the StartSSL.

StartSSL doesn't provide up to 100 domains for free on a single cert.

• @rm_ said:

That too.. I can treat it like wildcard ssl, all my existing and possibly can exist domains can exist in one ssl, neat i'ld say...

• I've tried it a bunch of times, I always get "Submit request contains invalid data" after submitting at the end. :(

• ARKARK Member

@Nomad said:

you need use sha2 and english

• ARKARK Member
    edited January 2015

@Nomad said:

• @ARK said:

I did try SHA2 and English....
    Maybe it was my server caching the ssl certificates but... It wasn't green on my case.

• ARKARK Member

@Nomad said:
    you must use this address https://buy.wosign.com/DVSSL.html

and choose

• ARKARK Member
    edited January 2015

@Nomad said:
    or you send me your domains and .csr ,I will help you.

• I did choose them.
    I bought 36 certificates from that page.
    I entered my domains.
    I verified my domains.
    I got the email for them.
    I installed the certificate.
    But...

Dunno why I only got yellow instead of green....

• ARKARK Member

@Nomad said:
    I did choose them.
    I bought 36 certificates from that page.
    I entered my domains.
    I verified my domains.
    I got the email for them.
    I installed the certificate.
    But...

Dunno why I only got yellow instead of green....

Sigh, they got 1 billion people there in China, but no one to approve cert requests on Sunday...

• cnbeiningcnbeining Member
    edited January 2015

@rm_ said:

EDIT: WARNING:

I was wrong! In a way.

If you check the archive.org link down there, you can see the "超快SSL" , or "DV_KuaiSSL" is cross-signed with UTN SGC.

But, after they put it free(you can see, if you put 100 domains in it, this would cost you ~¥88000(~$14200) . Of course, this is too good to be true.

The free DV_KuaiSSL is now signed with StartSSL. Which means, it is the same as the original FreeSSL.

And the problem is, the cert chain is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo long that it breaks: if so, the browser would give you a warning. EVEN WORSE than you do not have that SSL!

---------------OUTDATED, but do provides you with some historical info------------
    That 's because:

"超快SSL" , or in their name, "DV_KuaiSSL" (well, hope you can see those Chinese and is able to match them on the website- I think they looks quite different, but since I am a native user so...) is NOT StartSSL.

They SAID this is cross-signed with UTN SGC, but this information is hidden now, along with the introduction that the "免费SSL"(DV_KuaiSSL_Free) is cross-signed with StartSSL. But I was able to recover the info here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140704024028/http://www.wosign.com/price.htm

You can check the current webpage to see the difference.

cnbeining said: is NOT StartSSL.

Yes my point was the same.

Another benefit over StartSSL is that here I did not have to submit any personal info, whereas StartSSL I think required a lot of it, even just for the free cert.

• rm_ said: Another benefit over StartSSL is that here I did not have to submit any personal info, whereas StartSSL I think required a lot of it, even just for the free cert.

Can just provide false info. :o

edited January 2015

Got mine now, but can't install it in Lighttpd.

Trying the "For Apache" variant, setting

ssl.ca-file = "1_root_bundle.crt"
    ssl.pemfile = "2_mydomain.crt"

(also added my private key to the 2nd one). Aaaand doesn't work. "This server's certificate chain is incomplete." Seems to work in old Chromium and new Chrome (but with the yellow lock icon), whereas Firefox just displays the "Untrusted certificate" error page.

• Exactly my case, with Chrome, I could only get the yellow icon as well.

Internet Explorer seemed fine though.

When I switch the cert to another, it's displayed just fine but...

eva2000 said: Chrome is sunsetting SHA1

1) Mine is SHA2
    2) The problem is not just Chrome.

• When I fill in Name, I'm getting "Name must be 2-5 characters". When I fill in my first name (Cas), I'm getting the same

• @Nomad use https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=yourdomain

and you will see why chrome display the yellow icon.

cassa said: When I fill in Name, I'm getting "Name must be 2-5 characters". When I fill in my first name (Cas), I'm getting the same

Copy-paste some Chinese characters (2-5) from that page.

• @cassa said:
    When I fill in Name, I'm getting "Name must be 2-5 characters". When I fill in my first name (Cas), I'm getting the same

cassa, I typed in 2-3 chinese characters there ^^ Otherwise it didn't accept my name. So I translated my name to Chinese.