Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Soon one year with Vultr - my (almost) 12 month review.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Soon one year with Vultr - my (almost) 12 month review.

It’s almost one year since VULTR.com had their soft launch, and I have been with them since they launched their service, and I have to say that they just get better and better for each month. Now it’s almost a year, so here is a cake:

Thats for you @DaveA and all others on your Vultr team. If you manage to blow out the candle, you can wish you something good. :D

Please use my affiliate link if you are thinking about signing up, keeps my site running without any ads. http://www.vultr.com/?ref=6802732

Product/hardware/price

VULTR offer KVM cloud instances with SSD storage (like DigitalOcean), so you only get some cloud features like hourly billing, quick deployment, many locations etc.

VULTR similar plans like DigitalOcean, but they have increased their smallest plan from 512 MB RAM to 768 MB of RAM, a 50% increase for the same price as DO charge.

They also charge $3/mo less for the 1 GB plan, and $5/mo less for their 2 GB plan.

As you can see VULTR now has 14 locations online, thats three times more locations then DigtalOcean has.

VULTR guarantee more then 3 GHz CPUs on all their plans (except their storage plans in NY), so you get fast CPU power on all servers. They offer SSD storage as standard and you get speeds like 3-460 MB/s.

You deploy new servers within minutes depending on what location you are deploying in. It’s really simple as you can see in the picture over, you only select locations, package, and OS, then your server is online. You can use their OS templates, your own .iso files, backups etc, when you create your instance.

They have also launched there Multi core series with 8, 12, 16 and 24 cores and on my Benchmark test on their 8 core server (the 24 core was not online) I got a result of 5918.9, thats insane high. (see my Top20 list) and I have also benchmarked their 16 core server, with a result at 7698.3, the highest result ever tested here at reviews.myhken.com

Service/Support

Their service is still pretty good. And their support pretty fast.

Since I have been a BETA tester for several of the new features, I have had lots of contact with their support staff, and it's seems like they have several support staff working for them, and they seems pretty knowledgeable.

Benchmark

Their new multi core series taking my top 1 and top 2 spot om my Top20 list.

Their 16 core multi core series with 48 GB RAM: (7698.3 points)

Here is their 24 core server, with a insane result of 9600 points in UnixBench

And their normal (performance series) 2 core 2 GB RAM server, you get lots for your money here.

Network/uptime

Vultr has good speeds on their servers, and now they have finally fixed the network speed in the Netherlands, so you get 1 Gbit there also.

Few issues with Vultr.com Network the last months has left my servers with a uptime of: (total for the entire time I have used them, and thees two servers has been online the whole time)

99.971% on my Amsterdam server (11 months)
99.980% on my France server (11 months)

Conclusion

If you need a host that can offers lots of locations, rapid deployment, insane fast servers, own .iso files, backups, templates, IPv6, Private Network and hourly billing ++++, take a look at VULTR.com. They have kept their promise to add lots more features and locations, and they still have more to come. Their servers and networks works really good, with fast servers, and high uptime.

Giving VULTR 9 of 10 points this time also. They are getting better and better, and I’m looking forward to see how good they will be in the future.

And again, happy one year birthday (soon) and I’m looking forward to a second year with you.

Please use my affiliate link if you are thinking about signing up, keeps my site running without any ads. http://www.vultr.com/?ref=6802732

PS! I know that people is pissed on @DaveA for not reviling all the specs on their setup. But this review, and I'm sure most of Vultr longtime customers will prove that it works. So what if they are renting space at Utah Data Center or in Fort George G. Meade or have their secret DC on the moon?? They do have a awesome product. So please don't let this thread be a "we hate you @DaveA because you don't tell us want we want) Let celebrate Vultr.com first year, and that they actually have done the most they promised they would, and also did more then that.

Thanked by 1teppeikun

Comments

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited January 2015

said: So please don't let this thread be a "we hate you @DaveA because you don't tell us want we want)

At least I struggle hard. It's about lying. Not only "you don't tell us want we want". But however... Do not want to disturb your fan party too much.

• Vultr is cool I guess, I use them for dev stuff.

• @Amitz said:

I'm always fans of hosts that works, and do what they say they would do, have great servers, good hardware, fast network and decent support. (on unmanaged host) (for managed hosts, I expect the world on their support)

I can't complain, they have been great for me the time I have used them, if that make me a fan...yes then I'm a fan.
    But rest assure, if they going bad, I will write about it on my site and here at LET.

• I'm using Vultr for personal services like VPN, Email, File storage that always have to be online, so far i've got not complaints about them, it just works like it should and i have yet to experience a downtime that interrupts anything. I'll be a long-time customer if they keep this running like it is now.

• Nice Vultr advertising, be sure they reward you :)

• @fitvpn said:
    Nice Vultr advertising, be sure they reward you :)

Never got a dime from Vultr for my reviews. And I'm sure I wont get anything now either. I write reviews because I think it's fun, and I'm use a good number of hosts, so I have a good review base.
    I do not write reviews on companies I don't use, and I never ask for money before or after a review.

• LeeLee Veteran

It's a personal review rather an unbiased one, but good to see it has continued to work for you.

• I have one vps with the $7 plan but they force you to reload funds to the account starting from $10 per month. I hate that.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member
    edited January 2015

myhken said: I write reviews because I think it's fun, and I'm use a good number of hosts, so I have a good review base.

What wrong with other hosts instead DO and Vultr? :) There many of better and cheaper alternatives

• @fitvpn

Maybe thats why I use iwStack.com as my main host? But Vultr and DO have a great product they also, specially if you need several locations.
    I use Backupsy, I use HostHatch, I use SolaDrive, I use Knownhost, I use IOFlare etc.
    But you can only have so many hosts. I can't see any reason why I should pay for servers that I don't need just to have more hosts to write about.

Thanked by 1GoodHosting
  • TheKillerTheKiller Member
    edited January 2015

fitvpn said: What wrong with other hosts instead DO and Vultr? :) There many of better and cheaper alternatives

You always criticize people who post reviews or something useful. You just want to talk about GVH shit. If you don't have anything productive to contribute, don't comment. If you don't like Do/Vultr don't try to forcefully change their mind.

You always think that every review is paid one.

Thanked by 1GoodHosting
  • TheKiller said: TheKiller

I just wondering when someone ask for offshore location outside US and EU, many folks here start recommend DO or Vultr because they has Japan and Singapore location..:) Wake up

• @fitvpn said:
    I just wondering when someone ask for offshore location outside US and EU, many folks here start recommend DO or Vultr because they has Japan and Singapore location..:) Wake up

Did you ever consider that people might keep recommending them because their service is actually really good? theres no need to spray dirt all over their positive reviews, if you dont believe it then try the service for yourself instead of being a major ignorant dickhead.

My apologies if my words butthurt you but i agree for the full 100% with @thekiller - im getting sick of it too.

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • @fitvpn said:

Vultr, while @DaveA left a sour taste in some people's mouths (by successfully trolling LowEndTalk into free advertising for them for a week or so constant on the front page...) I can vouch that the service is decent for the exotic locations (all that I have tested.)

We use Vultr for locations we could not find elsewhere, for our remote monitoring systems. We make sure to have geographically distinct monitoring nodes now, as we learned early that international routing is basically magic soup when it comes to Internet Service Providers that fail to comply to internet standards...

+1 for Vultr, and +1 for @DaveA 's successful self promotion.

Thanked by 2myhken TheKiller
  • Mark_R said: Mark_R

I already tried Vultr and DO so i know what I talking about :)

GoodHosting said: GoodHosting

Did you recognize - American based company cannot provide offshore VPS even they host on the moon Because> USA and must follow US laws, DMCA etc even outside US. Many folks here has no idea about it. That what I talking about.

• @fitvpn ,

I just wondering when someone ask for offshore location outside US and EU, ...

You were the first one to call it offshore, the OP did not. Comment in those threads where it is suggested, not here in a review that has nothing to do with people recommending the service in other threads :).

• Right, so that's Abdussamad you should be mad at for spreading misinformation (which in 99% of the case, would simply be because most people don't know what the importance of "offshore" means, and just like "Cloud" they think it can apply to everything.), not anyone else here.

• Just about stop been Pavlov's dogs and start sort out

• If only they fixed their Sydney location.....

Thanked by 1Monsta_AU
  • Using VULTR from they had Coupon X2 RAM .
    service uptime ~ 100% from 3/2014. that's amazing !

• @ATHK said:
    If only they fixed their Sydney location.....

Of course, my review reflects only my EU and US locations, so I do not know much about these issues there. But if there is Network issues, like they had in Amsterdam (just 100mbit for a long time), they will fix the problems if they say they would. But it took some time in the Netherlands, but one they the issue was fixed.

• @myhken said:

They said that they fixed the issues in sydney almost twice a week, leaves people to doubt that it will ever be fixed, especially since any public threads on their forums about the issues are just getting closed without an answer and people have to open multiple tickets to get a refund even though @DaveA told them that they would recieve compensation weeks ago, and @DaveA said that he fixed the network multiple times...