Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally FreeBSD on DO
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Finally FreeBSD on DO

FreeBSD 10.1 only :D

https://www.digitalocean.com/company/blog/presenting-freebsd-how-we-made-it-happen/

<3 FreeBSD

just create new bsd droplet on SG location

Thanked by 1Ryan22

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

That's nice, though I think DO broke their arm patting themselves on the back so much. You'd think they'd just engineered landing on Mars.

But hey it's progress. I'll switch my DO Tor relay to FreeBSD...but still waiting for OpenBSD. About half of the original "BSD on DO" request thread was people asking for OpenBSD.

Thanked by 2JahAGR DalekOfSkaro
  • Do you guys like tcsh?

• @raindog308 said: That's nice, though I think DO broke their arm patting themselves on the back so much. You'd think they'd just engineered landing on Mars.

But hey it's progress. I'll switch my DO Tor relay to FreeBSD...but still waiting for OpenBSD. About half of the original "BSD on DO" request thread was people asking for OpenBSD.

Now, that would be like landing on mars! VPS providers with OpenBSD templates are really hard to come by. FreeBSD is pretty common nowadays. So what's the problem with OpenBSD then?

black said: Do you guys like tcsh?

Personally, no.

My favorite shell is OpenBSD's default, which is ksh. It has all he good stuff from bash without the insane creeping featurism. FreeBSD defaults to csh but OpenBSD doesn't.

Elsewhere, I use bash or ksh.

I haven't used a csh-derived shell in 20+ years, since my SunOS 4.1 days. I don't want to learn a different syntax than what I use for shell scripts, and csh programming is considered harmful.

• bf1bf1 Member

+1 for FreeBSD

• For now, I think its only suitable for testing.

Slower disk speed than Linux because DO disable journaling in order to get DO snapshot/backup to work. Also its UFS by default.

Does pkg work for you?

It's completely non-functional for me:

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/pkg-search-pkg-install-finds-nothing.49991/

Reimaging the vm fixed it. Odd.

• raindog308 said: That's nice, though I think DO broke their arm patting themselves on the back so much. You'd think they'd just engineered landing on Mars.

I laughed harder than I should while reading this :D

Thanked by 1raindog308