Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One vps as storage for another
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

One vps as storage for another

jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
edited June 2012 in Help

On KVM or dedicated, this wouldn't even be worth asking. So this question is reserved for OpenVZ.

I've got another strange desire with my LEB systems, and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions as to the best way. What I want to do is take one OpenVZ vps and mount it as a folder on another vps. Obviously the intention isn't to treat it quite the same as local storage, especially when on different providers. The appeal is cosmetic in nature, and perhaps the challenge of just having done it.

The easiest solution I've found so far is SSHFS, but it requires Fuse enabled. Not a problem, but I'm wondering if anyone has an idea that doesn't involve any actions by the host.

Again, this isn't something I or anyone should "need" to do, I just want to for fun. Ideas? Laughs at my strange hobbies are acceptable as well.

Comments

• sshfs :)

Thanked by 2jar Amfy
  • PADPAD Member

Well, I've used SSHFS before.. but even though like you said this is an appealing thing to do for fun/to learn, its actually a very good thing to know about. Everyone should stack up on learning how to do things like this. Thinking outside the box with server management, architecture, etc, is something most people don't do.

Thanked by 2jar Infinity
  • NickMNickM Member

You're going to need FUSE for most, if not all, implementations like this. SSHFS, FTPFS, etc

Thanked by 2TheHackBox jar
  • Well an easy solution that requires nothing special is to run samba on the target and mount remotely using 'mount -t cifs ...'.

You could lock down the samba ports with iptables. And I have no idea what performance would be like... :)

Thanked by 1jar
  • NickMNickM Member

Samba over the internet? That's not going to be a pleasant experience at all. At best, it's going to be slow as molasses in Wisconsin in January.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2012

What could be quite interesting is using something like this via an internal network to add additional semi-local partitions to OpenVZ vps systems. Easily done with other virtualizations, of course, but OpenVZ makes it a little more complicated. Something like an SSD vps with an extra partition for storage on spinning drives. Unless I'm blind, this is a missing product in OpenVZ hosting.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited July 2012

EDIT: Nevermind I got it.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Got Nick to turn on Fuse for me, mounted a BuyVM for fun. SSHFS is quite nice. Painfully simple.

• RSYNC over SSH is fine for static files, but if you have constantly changing stuff a NFS mount over SSH would be good as well, but if it's across a good latency link you may have problems. Best to do this with 2 VM's in the same datacenter or very close datacenters.

• You could run lsyncd to manage your rsync+ssh operations. Lightweight, works well.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@jarland said: Got Nick to turn on Fuse for me, mounted a BuyVM for fun. SSHFS is quite nice. Painfully simple.

I feel proud of myself!

Thanked by 1jar