Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Backup/Storage VM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Backup/Storage VM

PhilNDPhilND Member
edited June 2012 in General

Would any one be intrested in:

Xen/KVM
4 Cores at 2.6Ghz
512MB RAM
80GB RAID 10 HD
1TB BW
100Mbit

Would you guys prefer kvm or xen?

Comments

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

If price was decent, yes. Prefer xen.

• PhilNDPhilND Member

Price would be $6.95/mo

I like XEN much better than KVM myself, but KVM seems to be all the rage these days?

Phil

• jhjh Member

KVM over Xen. At $7 it would be a nice offer.

• KVM would probably bet better than XEN although i don't see a reason why a storage VPS doesn't use OpenVZ.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2012

If it's a storage vps why does it need 4 cores and 512MB of ram? Why would you put a 'storage vps' platform on xen? As far as I'm aware xen doesn't allow overselling of disk space because every container has its own logical volume?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Why so much ram and cpus? If only for backup/storage.

• PhilNDPhilND Member

@gsrdgrdghd
    XEN because it's dedicated DISK.
    @Corey
    Yeah, XEN uses LVM which is dedicated volumes.

We wouldn't limit you to strictly 'backups' you could run whatever you like, just think of it as a normal server with alot of disk, perfect for backups.

Would you consider lower price with less ram/cpu?

like 1cpu and 32 or 64 mb ram?

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2012

@PhilND you may want to consider IOPS and disk speed as well... not just buying the cheapest largest disks you can because you decided to give people 80GB of disk space you can't oversell (not all your users are going to use all their space).

• PhilNDPhilND Member

@MikHo Probably not, it's not the hardware that is stopping us lowering prices, it's the prices of IP addresses. So $6.95 for the above is probably what we're looking to offer at.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@PhilND said: you could run whatever you like

Beware of anybody signing up with "UGNazi" in their name ;P

• PhilNDPhilND Member

@Corey
    The disks are good enterprise drives, in raid 10, it'll be plenty enough for a vps, and if you're pushing tons of IOPS you shouldn't be on a vps(or at least a SSD VPS) right?

@liamwithers
    Haha, i didn't mean literally anything it has to abide by the terms of service. I just ment we wont limit you to running just rsync, or just an ftp server.. etc.

• jhjh Member

@PhilND said: The disks are good enterprise drives, in raid 10, it'll be plenty enough for a vps, and if you're pushing tons of IOPS you shouldn't be on a vps(or at least a SSD VPS) right?

Yeah you should be ok.

@philnd , fair enough

• flyfly Member

80GB is nothing.... pm some providers i'm sure they'll be willing to hit you up with some disk space.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

80GB is nothing for backups. We are using over 1.5TB on our backup node and ~500GB on a second backup server.

• PhilNDPhilND Member
    edited June 2012

@LiquidHost that's true. But you're a VPS provider. The average joe isn't going to be sticking 1.5TB of data up in VPS if we're talking about full nodes, then no... it probably won't cut it.

We were going for performance and redundancy in one package, and we're not limiting it to JUST backups.

I've done some more numbers,
    512MB XEN
    200GB HD RAID 5
    1TB BW
    100MBIT
    $6.95 a month

• jhjh Member

Presumably this is located at Hetzner?

• PhilNDPhilND Member

@Jhadley Yes, Ex6 w/ enterprise drives

why?

• jhjh Member

@PhilND said: why?

I might be interested.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

what are the rules for your backup vps? only for backup? or you just offer high disk but can use to anything?

• yomeroyomero Member

@jcaleb said: what are the rules for your backup vps? only for backup? or you just offer high disk but can use to anything?

God, again read the whole threads!!!

@PhilND said: We wouldn't limit you to strictly 'backups' you could run whatever you like, just think of it as a normal server with alot of disk, perfect for backups.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

got it. thanks, just slipped seeing that