Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS spammers - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS spammers

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Presbytis said: Looks like spamming brings more harm than good for business, yet there's hosting company still doing that?

I'm pretty sure they are selling a good quantity of services using this tactic, while not getting any harm really. That's the sad truth.

• Nyr said: I'm pretty sure they are selling a good quantity of services using this tactic, while not getting any harm really. That's the sad truth.

At some point more and more clients may start to filter their mass spam mails which means that they won't recieve also invoices.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

DalComp said: SpamVPS.com is available

Done.

• I don't see any unsubscribe links on the emails I get from them

• Have the same SPAM too... I receive same email twice..

Any information how to stop this?

• I'd figured this be relevant.

• @William said:
    Police.

Will they actually do anything in this case?

• Lets open support ticket for non-service related spam mail to request removal from list every time when spam is recieved. The more spam we get the more tickets they recieve. Random department, neutral subject.
    Wicked but far from support abuse as they are the one who abuse their client base and this will be just legit removal request. Every time. For every spam message. Let them have a taste of their own medicine.

• MunMun Member

@jbiloh why don't you stop them from sending these clear violations since they are using your infrastructure. I mean of course you do host the most spammers in the US, but I figured you might want to improve your service and lower that dark cloud off your back.....

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Mun said: @jbiloh why don't you stop them from sending these clear violations since they are using your infrastructure. I mean of course you do host the most spammers in the US, but I figured you might want to improve your service and lower that dark cloud off your back.....

ChicagoVPS should be removing users who unsubscribe.

For the list of top 100 spam networks please refer to: http://www.senderbase.org/static/spam/

At last check we were not listed, despite being much larger than almost all hosting companies on that list.

Thanked by 1doughmanes

@jbiloh said:
    ChicagoVPS should be removing users who unsubscribe.

As you can see from this thread, they aren't.

• @GuanYu - make a program to do this automatically :)

• MunMun Member
    edited January 2015

Single homed to you.....

Also, that changes on a daily basis.

• LeeLee Veteran

I wish I had the spare time some of you have to spend it worrying about spam.

Thanked by 1wych
  • W1V_Lee said: I wish I had the spare time some of you have to spend it worrying about spam.

If you were any more condescending and insulting... Wait no you couldn't have been. I used to have a lot of respect for you, until you (seemingly recently) changed your style of posting to be rude and inappropriate. Let's keep this on-topic though.

It's a serious issue; we're all passionate about what we do here, and spam happens to be related to this industry. Additionally, CVPS was one of the first companies to be advertised here. It's relevant and a few people put together can create change much more easily than a single person. You clearly didn't even read the OP given:

I don’t have any hopes of this getting fixed, I blocked them at my MTA border. Just wanted to write this so it gets indexed by Google.

We're all capable of dealing with spam on our own. It doesn't mean it's a "waste of time" to share information with others.

Kind regards,

Alex

Thanked by 3Nyr Darwin TheLinuxBug
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited January 2015

alexh said: It's a serious issue; we're all passionate about what we do here

And I could understand it if I really thought people treated all the spam that came into their inbox the same way, but I doubt that, it seems more like let's just jump on CVPS because it's easy to focus on them and shout about it here. I don't recall seeing mail spam being such a significant discussion point elsewhere on the forum.

The "passion" only seems to appear when a thread title that contains CC or connected brand appears.

• @W1V_Lee said:

Check our threads if you want to see more passion.

• In this specific case it's really annoying for me. Because they literally bomb my billing email address with those spam messages on a regular basis and removal requests from spamlist doesn't work.
    I am hosted with lets say 60 different companies this moment but they all TOGETHER don't send me so much spam per month than this specific host alone.
    When you ask host which you pay for service nicely to remove you from their spamlist and they don't do that then this is problem because you have two options: to live with it (but why should I?) or block them which means cancell service (which is silly).

W1V_Lee said:

And I could understand it if I really thought people treated all the spam that came into their inbox the same way, but I doubt that, it seems more like let's just jump on CVPS because it's easy to focus on them and shout about it here. I don't recall seeing mail spam being such a significant discussion point elsewhere on the forum.

The "passion" only seems to appear when a thread title that contains CC or connected brand appears.

You are very wrong. Similar issues had been discussed on this same forum in the past. Limestone Networks and Private Layer come to mind.

• LeeLee Veteran

@Nyr said:
    You are very wrong. Similar issues had been discussed on this same forum in the past. Limestone Networks and Private Layer come to mind.

Well ok, if that represents "passion" about mail spam fair enough.

W1V_Lee said: Well ok, if that represents "passion" about mail spam fair enough.

Is not "passion", it's simply that similar problems had been discussed in the past and they had nothing to do with ColoCrossing.

I would had posted this anyway if it was any other company I had services with. But fact is, none of them seem to employ these dubious practices.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • edited January 2015

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt&panel1-1

File a compliant with the FTC since the message opt out link doesn't work. Enough complaints might rise a few eyebrows.

• W1V_Lee said: The "passion" only seems to appear when a thread title that contains CC or connected brand appears.

It's unfortunate that it turns out this way, but here's the thing: I don't consider "connected brands" to directly represent CC. This is an issue outside of them. It would be unfair to have companies like GVH and CVPS be a direct reflection on the service that CC provides. There's a member here, @DalekOfSkaro, who from what I remember has boxes with CC. His service (from what I've heard) is top-notch.

I won't disagree that some may dislike CC for personal reasons. While they may be a bit slow to pick up on network abuse, I don't like to directly attribute another company's actions to them. They are not directly responsible for CVPS' actions.

There has been other issues like this in the past. LSN used to host HackForums. I know there's many threads about VD, who makes that top 100 list constantly. The list goes on. The main issue here is with the ethics of disallowing one to unsubscribe from a mailing list. Above you can see screenshots of the sheer volume of mail CVPS is sending, and it's alarming. My point remains that this is a web-hosting forum, and all aspects of the industry will be discussed here.

While I enjoy your implied sarcasm through usage of quotes in your most recent reply, you completely ignored my post. I said we are passionate about web hosting and the industry, not mail spam. Unfortunately issues like this plague the industry, and dirty the reputations of good companies. You have done worse attributing shit like this to CC than any of us have. I think Mr. Biloh has made some mistakes in the past, and I'm sure we all have. The positive change that I'm seeing indicates that he truly cares though.

I'm not a fan of these companies, but I'm not going to attempt to discredit people or dirty their reputation for no reason or personal reasons. If you noticed, everybody blabbing about CVPS/GVH/whatever has been wronged by them in some way. The sheer volume of people who post about it doesn't make it any less credible or worthwhile. It indicates that there's a real problem that needs solving.

If nobody posted about these issues, change would never be made. I'm hoping that CVPS will read this and fix their issues. I'm sure we all hope for that. Bringing awareness to issues like this is one of the purposes of this forum to some extent; for the most part, it's effective in doing such. Additionally, we haven't seen much change in the ethics of companies like CVPS and GVH. That doesn't mean bringing awareness to issues like this won't assist in preventing others from being wronged, or purchasing service from a company who does things like this, as it could result in poor IP reputation for clients and client websites.

Kind regards,

Alex

Thanked by 3Lee netomx mpkossen

alexh said: They are not directly responsible for CVPS' actions.

This time they are, since CVPS is using NWNX's SMTP to spam and they knowingly allow this.

• alexh said: It's unfortunate that it turns out this way, but here's the thing: I don't consider "connected brands" to directly represent CC. This is an issue outside of them. It would be unfair to have companies like GVH and CVPS be a direct reflection on the service that CC provides.

Indeed. This is no different that blaming an entire culture, race, or religion for the acts of few. I know it's a far comparison, but it is the closest I can think of.

alexh said: There's a member here, @DalekOfSkaro, who from what I remember has boxes with CC. His service (from what I've heard) is top-notch.

Thank you very much. We do our best and we have a couple of customers who happen to be on LET that might vouch for us. Hopefully you will find interest in something we offer.

alexh said: I won't disagree that some may dislike CC for personal reasons. While they may be a bit slow to pick up on network abuse, I don't like to directly attribute another company's actions to them. They are not directly responsible for CVPS' actions.

Neither will I. CC, in my books, are slow to pickup on IPv6. Network Abuse however was not really an issue.

alexh said: There has been other issues like this in the past. LSN used to host HackForums. I know there's many threads about VD, who makes that top 100 list constantly. The list goes on. The main issue here is with the ethics of disallowing one to unsubscribe from a mailing list. Above you can see screenshots of the sheer volume of mail CVPS is sending, and it's alarming. My point remains that this is a web-hosting forum, and all aspects of the industry will be discussed here.

Exactly. There's no "perfect" provider. Even the largest companies like SoftLayer have their flaws.

alexh said: I'm not a fan of these companies, but I'm not going to attempt to discredit people or dirty their reputation for no reason or personal reasons. If you noticed, everybody blabbing about CVPS/GVH/whatever has been wronged by them in some way. The sheer volume of people who post about it doesn't make it any less credible or worthwhile. It indicates that there's a real problem that needs solving.

If nobody posted about these issues, change would never be made. I'm hoping that CVPS will read this and fix their issues. I'm sure we all hope for that. Bringing awareness to issues like this is one of the purposes of this forum to some extent; for the most part, it's effective in doing such. Additionally, we haven't seen much change in the ethics of companies like CVPS and GVH. That doesn't mean bringing awareness to issues like this won't assist in preventing others from being wronged, or purchasing service from a company who does things like this, as it could result in poor IP reputation for clients and client websites.

Well said.

• Heh, I somehow don't have any emails from them for the month of December, although I did get one yesterday.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

I was out of town for the weekend, so let me clarify this.

I had another employee send the email, and he was not aware of the correct settings to choose in WHMCS when sending the email to make sure that people that were unsubscribed did not receive the emails.

This will not happen again, and sorry for any confusion or disturbance anyone encountered.

Thanked by 1perennate
  • edited January 2015

@cvps_chris First off the sales message is not a transactional email so it is considered spam (It has to be clearly marked ie Advertisement or Sale in the subject.). So you can not hide under that rock. Second opt out link is not in compliance with the Can Spam ACT. By law if you have a opt out link you have it show a confirmation that the email address is being processed for removal. Direct email to the sender for removal is allowed but they must send a confirmation that email is being removed from the list. All removals have 10 days to be in compliance. The company also has to include a valid mailing address in the message.

• MattKCMattKC Member
    edited January 2015

@CVPS_Chris said:
    I was out of town for the weekend, so let me clarify this.

I had another employee send the email, and he was not aware of the correct settings to choose in WHMCS when sending the email to make sure that people that were unsubscribed did not receive the emails.

This will not happen again, and sorry for any confusion or disturbance anyone encountered.

This issue pre-dates this past weekend, if you bothered to actually be honest here. The email is in violation of spam laws, that has nothing to do with "who" sent it, and again goes back well before this weekend. As usual you completely bypass actually addressing the issue at hand. Classic CVPS SOP.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

aggressivenetworks said: Direct email to the sender for removal is allowed but they must send a confirmation that email is being removed from the list. All removals have 10 days to be in compliance. The company also has to include a valid mailing address in the message.

The emails are removed, and get a response within 24 hours. Again, I usually take care of the emails, I guess it was my fault to let someone else handle it.