Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS spammers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS spammers

NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I had services with a company which got acquired by ChicagoVPS (like really acquired, not a CC brand). After they got bought, ChicagoVPS imported my old account details and I now had an account with them, this means now I am getting their advertisement emails from time to time.

I did try to unsubscribe really hard following their indications:

Unsubscribe: To stop receiving these messages please visit your customer control panel at https://billing.chicagovps.net/clientarea.php and uncheck the box to receive promotional emails. You can also email [email protected] with the subject "REMOVE ME" and we will process your request immediately.

• Logged in to the client area, unsubscribe option is nowhere to be seen
  • Opened a support ticket, which was ignored and closed
  • Emailed Chris personally, I was ignored too
  • Now my account with them has been removed, but I still get their spam
  • Emails are sent with no working unsubscribe links, from mail.nwnx.net and obviously no info on how to unsubscribe/report abuse on the headers either. Something tells me than writing to [email protected] wouldn’t get them suspended either ;)

I don’t have any hopes of this getting fixed, I blocked them at my MTA border. Just wanted to write this so it gets indexed by Google.

Comments

• MunMun Member

Report them, that is a crime and shouldn't be tolerated.

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • I like yourself, I had my CVPS account removed and still get the marketing emails, so I've just sent the 'REMOVE ME' email to Chris' account, so lets see how 'immediate' removal is.

• Can confirm - No checkbox to unsubscribe and i still get the emails after following this procedure (mailing this Chris guy).

• @CVPS_Chris Sort this out mate. I know the CC network is known for it's spam, but you don't have to get in on the act.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2015

I have the same problem. I recieved 9 spam marketing messages within 30 days (?!) from this same host.
    I opened ticket, but Chris consider this as something normal although he removed me from his spam list - he said.
    Yesterday I recieved 2 spam mails again.
    I would block them, but this means that I would miss also invoice. I will reconsider if it's worth to pay for service to be bombed with regular spam on a weekly basis. That's not what I am paying for. I want to enjoy service I am paying for, not deal with their spam every few days.

I wouldn't mind some promo mail every few months. I also don't bitch about that because that's CVPS/Chris. But what's too much is too much. This what they are doing match every definition od mass spam mailing and there seems no way to be removed from their spam list even after explicit request.

• MunMun Member

Contact the authorities, it's the only way anything will change.

• I even get duplicates. Most of the time I get two copies of the same message.

• @Mun said:
    Contact the authorities, it's the only way anything will change.

Why are you angry?

• The emails are coming directly from colocrossing network or something like mandrill? If it's mandrill ask their support and they can block you from getting emails from that sender.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

linuxthefish said: The emails are coming directly from colocrossing network or something like mandrill? If it's mandrill ask their support and they can block you from getting emails from that sender.

Directly from the CC mail relay:

Received: from mail.nwnx.net (unknown [198.23.151.194])

So this is also in @jbiloh 's hands ;)

• Saturday, January 10th, 2015 (23:07)    5GB VPS From $4.13/Month at SpamVPS
    Saturday, January 10th, 2015 (19:46)    5GB VPS From $4.13/Month - SpamVPS
    Friday, December 26th, 2014 (20:58)     SpamVPS Boxing Day Sale - The only deals that matter!
    Thursday, December 25th, 2014 (01:11)   SpamVPS Christmas Offers - The only offer that matters!
    Tuesday, December 23rd, 2014 (03:27)    SpamVPS - Santa's Come Early, DEALS INSIDE!
    Monday, December 1st, 2014 (16:22)  LAST CHANCE: SpamVPS Cyber Monday Sale - CRAZY OFFERS INSIDE!
    Monday, December 1st, 2014 (15:47)  LAST CHANCE: SpamVPS Cyber Monday Sale - CRAZY OFFERS INSIDE!
    Monday, December 1st, 2014 (00:31)  SpamVPS Cyber Monday Sale - CRAZY OFFERS INSIDE!
    Friday, November 28th, 2014 (12:25)     SpamVPS - Best Black Friday Deals Ever!
    Friday, November 28th, 2014 (01:19)     SpamVPS - Best Black Friday Deals Ever!
    Thursday, November 27th, 2014 (19:20)   SpamVPS - Best Black Friday Deals Ever!
    Friday, November 21st, 2014 (19:20)     EXTENSION - SpamVPS Pre-Black Friday Sale
    Thursday, November 20th, 2014 (22:11)   SpamVPS Pre-Black Friday Sale
    Monday, November 10th, 2014 (17:58)     SpamVPS - Two Limited Quantity Specials Inside!
    Friday, November 7th, 2014 (11:20)  New Dedicated Server Information
    Friday, November 7th, 2014 (08:29)  New Dedicated Server Information

Removal request from their mass spamlist over support ticket does not work. Gmail filtering of their address most likely will, but this will force me also into VPS cancellation as I won't get any invoices from them anymore.

• Wait what, is this provider really named "SpamVPS" ?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2015

No. But I won't promote their business! Company name near "crazy offers inside" is just censored.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • @Spirit oh you got me there :)

Thanked by 1BuyAds
  • @Spirit said:
    No. But I won't promote their business! Company name near "crazy offers inside" is just censored.

Surely you could stop this ?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2015

MSPNick said: Surely you could stop this ?

Me, buddy? Please don't go into this here. I just moderate discussion forum.
    I am their client and I post in this thead solely as their client and LET member. Nothing more than that. Please allow me this right.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Spirit said:

No worries bro. Sorry :-(

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • got 2 emails last night from these scumbags. will never buy.

• @Nyr - https://www.spamcop.net/ - report, they connect to spamhaus.

• MunMun Member

@alexvolk said:
    Why are you angry?

I'm not, but what they are doing is against the law and has been discussed here a few times. The only way they will change is if someone comes in with a big bill they are required to pay and then they will make due effort. Until then, they will spam as many offers as they can because that is there best business model, considering their tarnished reputation.

Mun

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • @Spirit said:

Saturday, January 10th, 2015 (23:07)      5GB VPS From $4.13/Month at SpamVPS
    > Saturday, January 10th, 2015 (19:46)  5GB VPS From $4.13/Month - SpamVPS
    > Friday, December 26th, 2014 (20:58)   SpamVPS Boxing Day Sale - The only deals that matter!
    > Thursday, December 25th, 2014 (01:11)     SpamVPS Christmas Offers - The only offer that matters!
    > Tuesday, December 23rd, 2014 (03:27)  SpamVPS - Santa's Come Early, DEALS INSIDE!
    > Monday, December 1st, 2014 (16:22)    LAST CHANCE: SpamVPS Cyber Monday Sale - CRAZY OFFERS INSIDE!
    > Monday, December 1st, 2014 (15:47)    LAST CHANCE: SpamVPS Cyber Monday Sale - CRAZY OFFERS INSIDE!
    > Monday, December 1st, 2014 (00:31)    SpamVPS Cyber Monday Sale - CRAZY OFFERS INSIDE!
    > Friday, November 28th, 2014 (12:25)   SpamVPS - Best Black Friday Deals Ever!
    > Friday, November 28th, 2014 (01:19)   SpamVPS - Best Black Friday Deals Ever!
    > Thursday, November 27th, 2014 (19:20)     SpamVPS - Best Black Friday Deals Ever!
    > Friday, November 21st, 2014 (19:20)   EXTENSION - SpamVPS Pre-Black Friday Sale
    > Thursday, November 20th, 2014 (22:11)     SpamVPS Pre-Black Friday Sale
    > Monday, November 10th, 2014 (17:58)   SpamVPS - Two Limited Quantity Specials Inside!
    > Friday, November 7th, 2014 (11:20)    New Dedicated Server Information
    > Friday, November 7th, 2014 (08:29)    New Dedicated Server Information

Removal request from their mass spamlist over support ticket does not work. Gmail filtering of their address most likely will, but this will force me also into VPS cancellation as I won't get any invoices from them anymore.

Any high disk space offers for <$10m there?

• I've gone the mail filter way. I look forward to silence from them.

• I'm surprised any of you get the mail - i've not changed anything and it automatically hits the spam box

• I too continue to receive these. There is no opt out. I have email conversation with Chris stating he's manually removed me. I've been trying to get removed for over a year now...but continue to receive them. If that's not the definition of SPAM, I don't know what is.

• Told them 3 times now to remove me and I still get their spam. Where's the best place to report this? FTC?

• Police.

• I'm tired of it to. I reported them to the government. You can too. http://www.onguardonline.gov/articles/0038-spam at the bottom it says [email protected]

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

I emailed REMOVE ME back in October and still getting the emails :P

I'm going to add reject.

• @rds100 said:
    Spirit oh you got me there :)

SpamVPS.com is available

Thanked by 2perennate Pwner
  • PresbytisPresbytis Member
    edited January 2015

Looks like spamming brings more harm than good for business, yet there's hosting company still doing that?