Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

places to buy hw?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

places to buy hw?

flyfly Member
edited June 2012 in General

i'm not pro enough for ebay....

i've been looking on superbiiz.com, newegg and amazon. any other legit places to shop around? Located in/ships to the US.

Thanks!

Comments

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

http://apaqdigital.com if you want something already built and tested

• flyfly Member

@mitgib

Apaq Digital Systems will be closed from Jun-30 to July-23. Please plan your purchase accordingly!

wat.

• I don't recommend Tiger Direct. I did tech support there for a couple years in the late nineties. Plenty of times parts came in to the depot that customers sent back as DOA or not functioning, and I've seen techs move it from an incoming box straight into an outgoing box for another customer, without even so much as a power on check. When I saw it happen more than a couple times, I left the company.

• flyfly Member

tigerdirect actually costs more than newegg anyways....

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@kbar said: wat.

Well I haven't bought from there in about 5 years, but still highly recommended

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

unixsurplus.com

• NewEgg

• subigosubigo Member

It doesn't get any cheaper or easier than: http://www.microcenter.com

• yomeroyomero Member

@Brandon said: NewEgg

Read the first post again and fully...

Thanked by 2Chief Mon5t3r
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@subigo said: It doesn't get any cheaper or easier than

After seeing your suggestion, I guess I confused myself, is @kbar just looking for any hardware or server hardware? I guess I have a 1 track mind

• Microcenter has some server hardware in addition to a wider selection of desktop stuff. Their prices are pretty much unbeatable, but the advantage is a lot more on desktops. The downside is you have to buy in person and they only have 22 locations spread around the US. If you happen to live near one then great, otherwise Newegg.

Thanked by 1Taylor
  • flyfly Member

nah i dont live anywhere near a microcenter. and yeah i was talking server hw

• Are you looking for just parts or a pre-assembled server?

• flyfly Member
    edited June 2012

either or

(whatever is cheaper)

• corpuscorpus Member

can anyone also suggest a website like newegg who ships in EU? Except amazon. Thanks

• @corpus said: can anyone also suggest a website like newegg who ships in EU? Except amazon. Thanks

http://www.lambda-tek.com/ deliver to EU and are now stocking supermicro parts once again, pricing is quite competitive for the UK

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • MartinMartin Member
    edited June 2012

@onepound said: http://www.lambda-tek.com/ deliver to EU and are now stocking supermicro parts once again, pricing is quite competitive for the UK

Not sure if you've ever tried ordering SuperMicro from them, or if things have changed since they started delivering to EU again.

But when I ordered a SM board late last year it took a month and a half from ordering to delivery with hardly any unprompted status updates.

Everything else I've ordered has been fine, but even though they always list the SM as having 100 in stock, it's not actually in UK stock and needs to be shipped from elsewhere.

YMMV

EDIT: I should add, they did warn it would take 2 weeks to be shipped, which I was fine with, but it took three times this.

• @Martin said: Not sure if you've ever tried ordering SuperMicro from them, or if things have changed since they started delivering to EU again.

Only used them for a couple of orders few months ago, first had a supermicro board and heatsink. Took around 2 weeks to arrive but they sent the wrong board. Although pissed off I will give them their dues and they did resolve it quick and had the correct board shipped overnight from Belgium to them and then to me.
    Immediately after this order they stopped stocking supermicro and have only just started again.

Only other places I have found in the UK for supermicro at a reasonable price is Boston, but not overly keen at their sales approach.

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited June 2012

@corpus
    Scan.co.uk do stock supermicro, unsure if it's competitive though.
    I tend to use them for hard drives and routers mainly >_>

• @ElliotJ said: Scan.co.uk do stock supermicro, unsure if it's competitive though.

very limited product range of supermicro and far from competitive unfortunately.

• MartinMartin Member

@Jack said: @Martin maybe you can offer a different site then?

@onepound said: Only other places I have found in the UK for supermicro at a reasonable price is Boston, but not overly keen at their sales approach.

I would have suggested Boston too, can sometimes feel like an overactive sales approach for my clear requirements.

If you are after complete systems you could also look at Sentral they will only supply systems, but are usually happy to supply without disks, if wanted. They usually meet their deadlines and do send a quarterly newsletter with their product range but don't follow this up unnecessarily.

Have used both companies and received products as expected within the expected time frame.

• RandyRandy Member
    edited June 2012

ebay is not a good place to buy things, unless you want to get some free cardboards

• @Martin said: If you are after complete systems you could also look at Sentral

I have used http://www.rackservers.com in the past, very flexible customization ordering process. Can while away hours just window shopping!! :-)

When I ordered from them (maybe 4 years ago now) they were able to supply without harddrives (there ordering system insists you must have a harddrive)

@Randy said: ebay is not a good place to buy things, unless you want to get some free cardboards

Not quite sure I fully understand your statement there, but if you know how to use ebay without getting ripped off there are some bargains to be had.

• RandyRandy Member
    edited June 2012

this has never happended to me :)