Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xen or KVM for ErrantWeb
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Xen or KVM for ErrantWeb

SrvisLLCSrvisLLC Member
edited June 2012 in Providers

Hello,

I was wondering for Metro-Detroit would you be more interested in Xen PV or KVM?
It would be SSD based storage if we decide to release this.

Remember this will be based at our Metro-Detroit location on our Level(3), XO, and Comcast network.

-Travis Waye
[email protected]

Comments

• DamianDamian Member

Neither

• jhjh Member

KVM

Thanked by 1tux
  • SrvisLLCSrvisLLC Member
    edited June 2012

@Damian said: Neither

Why do you say that? Location or something else?

• MrDOSMrDOS Member

Impending thread derailment: as someone who's never used anything other than OpenVZ, can someone point me in the direction of a comparison between Xen PV/Xen HVM/KVM? I realize “HVM” is a hardware-assisted VM, but I thought that's what KVM was as well, and what does that make PV?

• DamianDamian Member

@ErrantWeb said: Why do you say that? Location or something else?

I prefer OpenVZ since I prefer the "lightweight"-ness of it. If a provider's OVZ container isn't meeting my needs, then I drop them and look elsewhere. I don't really need the resource "guarantee" or the premium price of Xen/KVM.

This is, of course, my singular opinion :)

Thanked by 2netomx chex
  • @MrDOS said: Impending thread derailment: as someone who's never used anything other than OpenVZ, can someone point me in the direction of a comparison between Xen PV/Xen HVM/KVM? I realize “HVM” is a hardware-assisted VM, but I thought that's what KVM was as well, and what does that make PV?

http://serverfault.com/questions/222010/difference-between-xen-pv-xen-kvm-and-hvm

• @Damian said: I prefer OpenVZ since I prefer the "lightweight"-ness of it. If a provider's OVZ container isn't meeting my needs, then I drop them and look elsewhere. I don't really need the resource "guarantee" or the premium price of Xen/KVM.

This is, of course, my singular opinion :)

I agree with you on those points. That is one of the reasons that we have just been offering OpenVZ vSwap for the length of our existence.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@MrDOS said: and what does that make PV

PV is "para virtualized", you need a kernels (not only linux) with some xen compiled code extensions to talk with the node xen kernel...

• flyfly Member

xen pv is great.

• MrDOSMrDOS Member

Ah, got it. (Thanks for the link, @ErrantWeb – too lazy to look by myself.) I'll vote for KVM, then; might be worth migrating my existing OpenVZ container if the price is right.

• @ErrantWeb said: I was wondering for Metro-Detroit would you be more interested in Xen PV or KVM?

It would be SSD based storage if we decide to release this.

Either would be interesting. I'm always on the lookout for a new, good, reputable east coast provider....

• KVM seems like the leader here so far.

We're still working on setting up the node hardware wise, some parts are going to be coming in the mail soon. So it could be a little while before we release any new service.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

KVM with tons of ISO's of all popular distros Linux and BSD. Add in Win too.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I'm a big fan of KVM with SSD and additional storage on another drive for local backup (quicker to restore for minor issues).

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@jcaleb said: Win too.

windows 3.11 =)

• jcalebjcaleb Member

I didn't mean windows 2.0

@jcaleb said: I didn't mean windows 2.0

but it may be cool to have a vps with windows 3.11

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@netomx said: but it may be cool to have a vps with windows 3.11

would that support ipv4? otherwise, we will just VNC.

• @netomx said: but it may be cool to have a vps with windows 3.11

Yes it would be. :P

• MrDOSMrDOS Member
    edited June 2012

@jcaleb said: would that support ipv4?

Not really. Prior to Windows 95, Windows didn't ship with any TCP/IP stack. Trumpet Winsock was a popular third-party implementation. Later on in the lifecycle of the OS, a Microsoft implementation could be obtained either as part of Internet Explorer 5.01 or separately. (The IE-bundled one included a dial-up dialer; I've not tried the standalone one, so I don't know if it does or not.)

• u4iau4ia Member

@netomx said: but it may be cool to have a vps with windows 3.11

I have a VM if you want it :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

IIRC windows 3.1 could be added tcp/ip. Not sure about 3.0, tho.
    M

• KVM > Xen >>> OpenVZ.

If Xen would be cheaper, do that. :P

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • @jcaleb said: I didn't mean windows 2.0

Hey I remember Windows 2 :) It looked cool but couldn't actually do anything :) Had to exit to a DOS prompt and use 'wp', or 'vp' or 'dbase' to get any work done.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@sleddog said: Hey I remember Windows 2 :) It looked cool but couldn't actually do anything :) Had to exit to a DOS prompt and use 'wp', or 'vp' or 'dbase' to get any work done.

Now I have some idea about your age

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • PhilPhil Member

@sleddog said: Hey I remember Windows 2 :) It looked cool but couldn't actually do anything :) Had to exit to a DOS prompt and use 'wp', or 'vp' or 'dbase' to get any work done.

Me too, was a while ago. Reminded me my Paleolithic first "computer": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX81

Coming back to the thread, KVM for me.

• @Phil said: Me too, was a while ago. Reminded me my Paleolithic first "computer": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX81

I got a Timex in my basement. lol

@u4ia said: I have a VM if you want it :)

to test it? it's gonna be cool!