Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

October 2011 Dead Pool Discussion
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

October 2011 Dead Pool Discussion

LowEndAdminLowEndAdmin Member
edited October 2011 in General

Here are some of the providers that were featured on LowEndBox.com before, but have "died" in October, as reported by my tracker. I'll start the discussions here before I come up with a proper post on LowEndBox.com in early November.

• bytebistro.com -- See Fionn's comment here. Looks like it's unfortunately killed by quick success after getting featured on LowEndBox :(
  • cheapestvps.org -- Sold to CingularHosting.net according to WHOIS change on 28 Oct, and is currently redirecting there.
  • dedisrv.eu -- Showing 403 on their home page since 2 October. They were definitely getting desperate back in June, emailed me 6 times in 2 weeks trying to get featured.
  • fiberhead.com, tinyvps.ca and other Kerplunc sites -- I think they have finally been turned off. See previous discussion on them.
  • gidux.com -- featured early this year and now showing cPanel default page on their website
  • hostingsrv.co.uk -- IP not resolvable since 28 Oct.
  • j-solutions.org -- IP not resolvable since 18 Oct. someone ought to be in the deadpool from the very start. No surprise here.
  • kazetech.com -- "we are doing some heavy maintainance at the moment and will be back shortly" since 27 Oct. Does not sound very assuring.
  • rapidovps.com -- Server glitch? ionCube PHP Loader not installed -- I thought they are doing well.
  • ukdirecthost.co.uk -- "Under construction" since 5 Oct. Maybe they are fixing their crappy Flash-only website? Or just an cover-up for doing a runner?
  • vpscheap.info -- Connection timed out since 24 Oct. It was a popular offer, but probably not sustainable doing $1.50 monthly (HostRail again?). Interestingly his other business, CheapDomainNamesDot.com is still alive.
  • yottabytenetworks.net -- again, someone started with "fail host" flags all over, and the domain has been parked for AdSense since 14 Oct.

There might be others, so comment on if you think a provider has died or is dead.

Comments

• ionCube PHP Loader not installed

Isn't that a sign of compiling php directly instead of doing the OS package upgrade or install?

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited October 2011

Too early to say eNetsouth :P ? Joking. Although seriously, who knows at this rate.
    @LEA Is it LET or LEB hosted on one of there node's?

• Oh and GenVPS died but got bought out by GigaTux

• Too early to say eNetsouth :P Joking.

Sad but true..Server's down a week now.

• @drmike Yes, but that error has been showing for more than 24 hours now. Maybe they just need someone to tell them that their website is down.

@VMport see the footer for where LowEndTalk is hosted :)

|
                   |
                   |
                   v

• Oh i see it, light grey on white, its practically invisible (At least to me)

Thanked by 1drmike
  • @drmike
    Either that or they recompiled apache with easyapache and missed out the loaders, if its a cPanel server.

• @LowEndAdmin There's a footer? I can't read it. Too light. Trying to hide it from Google, aren't you? :)

@VMPort, yup, I remember that error from years ago.

• Google sees all :o

• And just to mention it since I'm thinking about it, any chance we could get the dns updates filtered out of the wiki recent list?

http://www.lowendtalk.com/wiki/start?do=recent

Or into it's own list? Just kind of hard to keep track of what's getting edited over there.

• @LowEndAdmin

The WIKI is tracking our site on a server we no longer even own :P

• So its confirmed in the other thread by 8X8, Brandon has not paid his bills. Tut

• VMport said: So its confirmed in the other thread by 8X8, Brandon has not paid his bills. Tut

Guess it's time to move LET!

• Kairus said: Guess it's time to move LET!

Or LET will be on the deadpool... lol

• tuxtux Member
    edited October 2011

VMport said: Too early to say eNetsouth :P ? Joking.

I think that this provider is zombie.

• VMport said: The WIKI is tracking our site on a server we no longer even own

Wouldn't that be your problem? Tracker says your last IP is 173.248.191.153, which is where your website is at. I would be a bit worried if it's something you don't have control over :)

• In my opinion, we should not wait for LET to go down before we put LET sponsor on Deadpool list. If IPAP (which is still alive) can be considered for DeadPool LET sponsor should also be on that list.

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited October 2011

If IPAP (which is still alive) can be considered for DeadPool LET sponsor should also be on that list.

I think IPAP is not relevant :(

And likely LEA will have plan B (and I know it's not IPAP, and not Nordic).

• Technicly eNetSouth is not completely dead yet (i.e. some services at some locations are still running), just zombie. But is seems very probable that they will be in the dead pool for November.

• Nor have I said IPAP was in the dead pool. If you read my last deadpool post, I asked the question:

dead? Some people are still having their free VPS that iPAP have not bothered to invoice. Any news on these guys?

Because their website is obviously not and some people still have services. There are, however, still a large number of unsatisfied ex-customers. The same might be said about eNetSouth at the moment.

"Sponsor" means nothing, other than that they are the ones providing hosting this website. I disclosed it whenever I post their offers.

• @LEA,

Yes, you always mention in your post about the sponsors. I appreciate that. :)

• lol this is gotta to be the only forum post on let or leb where i dont want to see my company name. :)

• @Mon5t3r i saw that also but he quickly said it was backup so ignored it. Too many ppl use wht to troll companies with little or no genuine complaints, francisco can vouch for that lmao.

• OneDollarVPS/HostSign aren't dead as such, but keep an eye on them. They're running on autopilot, and have been for a month or so.

• daimonb said: i saw that also but he quickly said it was backup so ignored it. Too many ppl use wht to troll companies with little or no genuine complaints, francisco can vouch for that lmao.

We also tend to viciously counter-attack, and aside from a few pages of laughs, we can kill a troll thread within the first couple of responses. Something to be said for always keeping immaculate records :3

• @aldryic i do find myself amused at how well and quickly you and francisco can turn a post around into your favour, most ppl know the truth before either of you step in though.

• That's actually rather refreshing to hear... admittedly I only show up on WHT and such to answer company-related concerns, so I didn't want to make the presumption. Even so, would be pretty bad form on our part if we just ignored them.. wouldn't take long for someone to twist it around into an "ignoring the customer" bit :P

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited October 2011

Aldryic said: "ignoring the customer"

Everyone knows IRC is the location for customer abuse

Thanked by 1sDsB
  • iusius Member

@Gary if a provider doesn't show a single sign of life (tickets!) for several weeks, I'd say we put them on the list. Let's label them 'ghost' ;)

To further clarify, all services from HostSign/OneDollarVPS appear to be still running, even those with an overdue invoice, but not a single ticket appears to have been answered this month.