Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Enable hardware crypto acceleration on your Via Nano dedi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Enable hardware crypto acceleration on your Via Nano dedi

rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
edited December 2014 in Tutorials

VIA PadLock Advanced Cryptography Engine (VIA PadLock ACE) is a technology used in many VIA processors that provides very fast hardware encryption and decryption.

Via Nano used in Online.net Kidechires and SCGen2 does support the Padlock extensions as well. In my tests enabling them in OpenSSL improves SHA1 performance by almost 4x, and drops the CPU load from HTTPS by 3x.

See my howto on rebuilding OpenSSL in Debian with Padlock support.

Let me know if it worked or not for you, also if it needs any clarifications or corrections.

Comments

• sounds good :p

• This is actually immensely nifty.

• Nice, thanks for the article!

Is it possible to use this padlock thing with dm-crypt?

• Unable to locate package libz1g-dev

any suggestion?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2014

ben78 said: Is it possible to use this padlock thing with dm-crypt?

I believe dm-crypt should use it automatically, unrelated to rebuilding OpenSSL (since it's a kernel module and just uses the in-kernel crypto API directly), just make sure you use the cipher supported in hardware ("aes-cbc").

Of course your kernel should be compiled with it:

$ grep PADLOCK /boot/config-*  
    /boot/config-3.14.22-rm1+:CONFIG_CRYPTO_DEV_PADLOCK=m  
    /boot/config-3.14.22-rm1+:CONFIG_CRYPTO_DEV_PADLOCK_AES=m  
    /boot/config-3.14.22-rm1+:CONFIG_CRYPTO_DEV_PADLOCK_SHA=m

But I think that's already enabled by default in all distros.

• You can also enable hardware acceleration in TOR, my cpu load is now 0.40 not 2.00, and the bandwidth has gone up quite a lot.

https://globe.thecthulhu.com/#/relay/9E8E20CD0B6F0DD91F320C9149CD51958E4C0357

• trexostrexos Member
    edited December 2014

@linuxthefish said:
    You can also enable hardware acceleration in TOR, my cpu load is now 0.40 not 2.00, and the bandwidth has gone up quite a lot.

https://globe.thecthulhu.com/#/relay/9E8E20CD0B6F0DD91F320C9149CD51958E4C0357

Mh misterious. I get 6,4MB (advertised) without changing this.

• error occurs when execute "apt-get install devscripts fakeroot build-essential libz1g-dev"

Unable to locate package libz1g-dev

does anyone can help? :(

@hotsnow sorry, this seems to be a typo, try "zlib1g-dev".

• hotsnowhotsnow Veteran
    edited December 2014

@rm_ said:
    hotsnow sorry, this seems to be a typo, try "zlib1g-dev".

yep, it's ok now, thanks :)

• trexos said: Mh misterious. I get 6,4MB (advertised) without changing this.

What's your relay name?

• @linuxthefish said:
    What's your relay name?

PM'ed you

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@linuxthefish said:
    You can also enable hardware acceleration in TOR, my cpu load is now 0.40 not 2.00, and the bandwidth has gone up quite a lot.

I'm not 100 % sure, but isn't hardware acceleration enabled by default for Tor (if available) when used with OpenSSL 1.0.1+?

Nyr said: when used with OpenSSL 1.0.1+?

You still need to patch OpenSSL, as even 1.0.1+ does not include the Padlock support in its "default" form.

rm_ said: You still need to patch OpenSSL, as even 1.0.1+ does not include the Padlock support in its "default" form.

I know, but Tor needed to be explicitly configured to use hardware acceleration with older OpenSSL versions and that's no longer the case IIRC, that's what I was asking :)

• How to do thsi on centos?

• xDutchyxDutchy Member
    edited December 2014

@sepei said:
    How to do thsi on centos?

1) backup files

2) reinstall to debian

3) restore files

4) use https://romanrm.net/openssl-padlock

• A solution without changing the OS would be cool lol

• sepei, could be that its already in the tree

openssl engine padlock should not give out an error

• Do you need to restart the processes after applying the patch? I don't want to lose my uptime on tor if I don't have to.

black said: Do you need to restart the processes after applying the patch?

Yes you do, else they keep using the previous version of the OpenSSL library.

Thanked by 1black
  • I get this error at the dpkg-build bit near the end:

created directory `/root/openssl-1.0.1e/debian/tmp/usr/share/man/man7'

installing man1/CA.pl.1ssl
    installing man1/asn1parse.1ssl
    installing man1/c_rehash.1ssl
    installing man1/ca.1ssl
    installing man1/ciphers.1ssl
    installing man1/cms.1ssl
    cms.pod around line 457: Expected text after =item, not a number
    cms.pod around line 461: Expected text after =item, not a number
    cms.pod around line 465: Expected text after =item, not a number
    cms.pod around line 470: Expected text after =item, not a number
    cms.pod around line 474: Expected text after =item, not a number
    POD document had syntax errors at /usr/bin/pod2man line 71.
    make[1]: *** [install_docs] Error 255
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/openssl-1.0.1e'
    make: *** [install] Error 2
    dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2

Not really sure how to advance. I'm new to compiling stuff too, so sorry if this was obvious.

• Hmm, looks like this patch crashes tor for me

Tor 0.2.5.10 (git-43a5f3d91e726291) died: Caught signal 11
    /usr/bin/tor(+0x1229de)[0xb76839de]
    /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/openssl-1.0.0/engines/libpadlock.so(+0x1507)[0xb753b507]
    /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/openssl-1.0.0/engines/libpadlock.so(+0x1507)[0xb753b507]
    /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libcrypto.so.1.0.0(EVP_DigestUpdate+0x1d)[0xb736140d]
    /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libcrypto.so.1.0.0(EVP_Digest+0x88)[0xb73616d8]
    /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libcrypto.so.1.0.0(RSA_padding_add_PKCS1_OAEP+0x98)[0xb733c048]
    /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libcrypto.so.1.0.0(+0xa17e6)[0xb73387e6]
    /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libcrypto.so.1.0.0(RSA_public_encrypt+0x30)[0xb7340410]
    /usr/bin/tor(crypto_pk_public_encrypt+0xb7)[0xb769c427]
    /usr/bin/tor(crypto_pk_public_hybrid_encrypt+0x152)[0xb76a2802]
    /usr/bin/tor(onion_skin_TAP_create+0x1a8)[0xb759fc88]
    /usr/bin/tor(onion_skin_create+0x6a)[0xb759dc1a]
    /usr/bin/tor(circuit_send_next_onion_skin+0x52e)[0xb75ff9de]
    /usr/bin/tor(+0x49fa7)[0xb75aafa7]
    /usr/bin/tor(circuit_receive_relay_cell+0x232)[0xb75ad422]
    /usr/bin/tor(command_process_cell+0x1f8)[0xb76162d8]
    /usr/bin/tor(channel_queue_cell+0x223)[0xb75f3d83]
    /usr/bin/tor(channel_tls_handle_cell+0x29c)[0xb75f877c]
    /usr/bin/tor(+0xda12a)[0xb763b12a]
    /usr/bin/tor(+0xc7e18)[0xb7628e18]
    /usr/bin/tor(connection_handle_read+0x70b)[0xb762ef7b]
    /usr/bin/tor(+0x2bcc1)[0xb758ccc1]
    /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libevent-2.0.so.5(event_base_loop+0x3c2)[0xb74be522]
    /usr/bin/tor(do_main_loop+0x1af)[0xb758d69f]
    /usr/bin/tor(tor_main+0x22bd)[0xb759132d]
    /usr/bin/tor(main+0x33)[0xb7589963]
    /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe6)[0xb713ae46]
    /usr/bin/tor(+0x289ad)[0xb75899ad]

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I am currently doing 3 MB with a 57-60% load. It was going very well, always up until the 10th or so, then dropped to half, stayed there for 3 days, then starting to go back up. I was never limited by CPU, I am not sure it is a BW issue either, each time I tried I had good connection on top of Tor.
    I will wait to see if it saturates the CPU and if it does, at how much traffic per second that happens. Then I will see what can be done, but until the CPU is not saturated, I suspect other causes.

@Maounique said:

Remember, a Tor node doesn't reach its full capacity until it has been up for two months.

I got some dedis with the last offer and Tor is working slower than previously for me too, but I expect it to hopefully speed up during January.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Nyr said: Remember, a Tor node doesn't reach its full capacity until it has been up for two months.

I know but that does not explain the halving of traffic on the 10th and stay down at about same level for 3 days for no apparent reason, my attempts to see what is wrong failed so, I guess I will have to wait and see.

coolnow said: I get this error at the dpkg-build bit near the end

Which OS do you use? There are some fixes for your error messages: https://startpage.com/do/search?cat=web&cmd=process_search&language=english&engine0=v1all&query="cms.pod+around+line+457:+Expected+text+after+=item,+not+a+number"&abp=1&x=0&y=0
    But I'm wondering why you got these and I haven't.

black said: Hmm, looks like this patch crashes tor for me

Personally did not try Tor with these patches, do other apps work fine? E.g. the "openssl sha1" test mentioned in the howto, or "openssl speed -evp aes-128-cbc -engine padlock"?

• rm_ said: Personally did not try Tor with these patches, do other apps work fine? E.g. the "openssl sha1" test mentioned in the howto, or "openssl speed -evp aes-128-cbc -engine padlock"?

Yep. There's a significant performance gain with the padlock patch on openSSL. Tor seems to be the only program that doesn't work.

openssl speed -evp aes-128-cbc -engine padlock
    engine "padlock" set.
    built on: Wed Dec 17 21:13:39 CET 2014
    options:bn(64,32) rc4(8x,mmx) des(ptr,risc1,16,long) aes(partial) blowfish(idx) 
    compiler: gcc -fPIC -DOPENSSL_PIC -DZLIB -DOPENSSL_THREADS -D_REENTRANT -DDSO_DLFCN -DHAVE_DLFCN_H -DL_ENDIAN -DTERMIO -g -O2 -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wl,-z,relro -Wa,--noexecstack -Wall -march=i686 -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_PART_WORDS -DOPENSSL_IA32_SSE2 -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_MONT -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_GF2m -DSHA1_ASM -DSHA256_ASM -DSHA512_ASM -DMD5_ASM -DRMD160_ASM -DAES_ASM -DVPAES_ASM -DWHIRLPOOL_ASM -DGHASH_ASM
    The 'numbers' are in 1000s of bytes per second processed.
    type             16 bytes     64 bytes    256 bytes   1024 bytes   8192 bytes
    aes-128-cbc      98783.53k   306857.46k   619254.45k   828959.48k   916095.09k

• rm_ said: Which OS do you use? There are some fixes for your error messages: https://startpage.com/do/search?cat=web&cmd=process_search&language=english&engine0=v1all&query="cms.pod+around+line+457:+Expected+text+after+=item,+not+a+number"&abp=1&x=0&y=0

But I'm wondering why you got these and I haven't.

Ubuntu 14.10

Thanks for the suggestion but i fixed it by using a patch that patched the manpages. Now i'm seeing 200+MB/s on your test, up from ~45MB/s. Thanks a lot for the thread, this might allow me to squeeze some extra juice out of my dedis.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited December 2014

@Maounique said:
    I know but that does not explain the halving of traffic on the 10th and stay down at about same level for 3 days for no apparent reason, my attempts to see what is wrong failed so, I guess I will have to wait and see.

https://blog.torproject.org/blog/lifecycle-of-a-new-relay

A new relay, assuming it is reliable and has plenty of bandwidth, goes through four phases: the unmeasured phase (days 0-3) where it gets roughly no use, the remote-measurement phase (days 3-8) where load starts to increase, the ramp-up guard phase (days 8-68) where load counterintuitively drops and then rises higher, and the steady-state guard phase (days 68+).

You got your Kidechire on November 28th, right, and I think you said in another thread you set up Tor a few days after that? A load drop on December 10th would seem to fit the new relay timeline pretty closely.

Thanked by 2Maounique raindog308