Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shared/reseller offers - UPDATED RULES
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shared/reseller offers - UPDATED RULES

Following the introduction of the 'Shared/reseller offers' category on LowEndTalk and valuable community feedback, we've decided to make the following changes to the rules on shared and reseller offers:

• You may only post shared/reseller offers if you have an active VPS offering and have published or are publishing these offers on this website!
  • Reseller price cap has been raised to $7, the annual pricing has been raised to $15 for host under 1 year, and $48 for host over one year. It basically follows the VPS pricing except pricing may not be for more than one year.

Another general rule change that comes with this:

• No unlimited in offers! This means you can not ever feature unlimited disk space. If you offer unlimited bandwidth you need to specify the limiting factor and whether it's shared with other people or not! This goes for VPS offers that are "unlimited" as well. Naturally, having unlimited features (like the number of mailboxes in a shared hosting account) is allowed.

These new rules and effective immediately. The official rules and guidelines have been updated.

Comments

• Thank you for considering the trash from under the carpet.

• Makes sense I guess, I like the no unlimited part.

• I am for these rule changes :), they help deal with any trash that may come with "Unlimited disk space" very quickly, and recognize that Master Reseller plans with a decent company might have some cost, especially if they come with WHMS deal, or a domain, etc.

• So if i have VPS offers over $7 in my site I cant post a shared hosting that I offer under $2 here right?

• @MisterHost_NET said:
    So if i have VPS offers over $7 in my site I cant post a shared hosting that I offer under $2 here right?

atleast one lowend offer (less than $7/m) which you advertise here. If you don't have any lowend vps offers, then yes you cant have shared/reseller offers

Thanked by 1MisterHost_NET
  • Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2014

So, again, we're not able to post offers as we don't offer VPS. It's not our Failure but limitation (as we live in Small Country where connectivity is poor) By doing this, the VPS companies would be able to Make More profit. However, area of VPS, so nothing facts :)

• @Mahfuz_SS_EHL add VPS category on your website, add some VPS plan with under $7/month price, set it to out of stock, post offer on LET. Say it was all sold out very quickly. Problem solved :)

• @rds100 said:
    @Mahfuz_SS_EHL add VPS category on your website, add some VPS plan with under $7/month price, set it to out of stock, post offer on LET. Say it was all sold out very quickly. Problem solved :)

Or just start offering VPS plans. It doesn't really matter resource-wise, I mean, a small box with little bandwidth is acceptable if it's an "exotic" location.

Thanked by 1Host4Go
  • @mpkossen said:
    Or just start offering VPS plans. It doesn't really matter resource-wise, I mean, a small box with little bandwidth is acceptable if it's an "exotic" location.

Depending on location it may sell better than the standard Dallas, NYC etc. ;)

@rds100 said:
    Mahfuz_SS_EHL add VPS category on your website, add some VPS plan with under $7/month price, set it to out of stock, post offer on LET. Say it was all sold out very quickly. Problem solved :)

Lol, Why will I do so ?? No, I don't need this through this system. A Man who is able to colocate servers physically & A Man who is living Far Far Away & colocating, 2nd one's cost will be higher definitely. I doubt how much importance will the Shared Hosting Customer get as the Company focuses on VPS Products Much

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

What is the reason for this requirement? It is good that it limits the web hosting offers that most people here don't care about, but that alone isn't a justification (since removing the category altogether would be more effective).

• @perennate said:
    What is the reason for this requirement? It is good that it limits the web hosting offers that most people here don't care about, but that alone isn't a justification (since removing the category altogether would be more effective).

It's all about finding a balance between consumer demand, growth, provider demand, and this site's focus. I think that with this change of rules, we're getting closer to this site's focus while maintaining an eye on the other aspects.

Thanked by 1perennate
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Would it be ok to post shared offers when the "brand"/domain only offers shared/reseller and the vps part is under another "brand"/domain?

It is still run by the same registered company.

• MikHo said: Would it be ok to post shared offers when the "brand"/domain only offers shared/reseller and the vps part is under another "brand"/domain?

It is still run by the same registered company.

I would certainly hope so.

• @BK_ said:
    I would certainly hope so.

I would as well.

So, what's the scoop (official ruling) in regards to this, so that it's not a question in the future?

My main concern is that I run the shared hosting part of lowendspirit.
    Two different sites and brands offering hosting for €/$ 3 /year but still owned by the same company (Inception Hosting).

• @MikHo said:
    My main concern is that I run the shared hosting part of lowendspirit.
    Two different sites and brands offering hosting for €/$ 3 /year but still owned by the same company (Inception Hosting).

Sure. Eventually I could even make exceptions where they are due, like in your situation. Same with MXRoute and VPN.SH; because they are from long-term community members we allow these services to be advertized.

• @mpkossen am I correct when I assume that unlimited emails/databases are allowed as long as it's made clear in the offer that users are limited by their disk space?

Also is the monthly price cap for shared still $3.00?

@mpkossen said:
    Sure. Eventually I could even make exceptions where they are due, like in your situation. Same with MXRoute and VPN.SH; because they are from long-term community members we allow these services to be advertized.

Eventually as in "not now, perhaps later"?

• Fine. This will prevent flood of cheap Asian based resellers posting bullshit..

Still we can see lots of Shared/Reseller Offers not evaluating these rules !

• fitvpn said: Asian based resellers posting

Asian based resellers are good as long as they resell dedi, VPS, and shared hosting located in Asia ;)

• @DalekOfSkaro said:
    mpkossen am I correct when I assume that unlimited emails/databases are allowed as long as it's made clear in the offer that users are limited by their disk space?

Also is the monthly price cap for shared still $3.00?

That is correct and it's still $2 for shared hosting.

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

Please flag such an offer if you see one.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Well that was quick :-)

BTW, WHT for years would not allow "unlimited" offers but they started allowing them last year.

mpkossen said: I think that with this change of rules, we're getting closer to this site's focus

I think allowing shared hosting offers is a step away from the site's focus. But (shrug) it's not my site.

• anyone with common sense would know that here is no such thing as "unlimited" - allowing "unlimited" values in offers is just ridiculous and supports scamming behaivor.

• @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

Sell Sell Sell not Read Read Read, that what they do so far.

I want to sell -_- but have no VPS Offer :/ We only expertise in Shared / Reseller Hosting.

This discussion has been closed.