Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Happy Cyber Monday - Changes to LowEndTalk - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Happy Cyber Monday - Changes to LowEndTalk

Comments

• @PetaByet said:
    Does reseller hosting include VPS reseller / other hosting reseller programs or just 'shared website hosting reseller'?

Just shared hosting reseller. This is actually the reason I combined the two in a category.

We still have nothing in place for VPS reseller or VPN offers. I'm looking to see what we can do on that front.

• @mpkossen said:
    We still have nothing in place for VPS reseller or VPN offers. I'm looking to see what we can do on that front.

I'm saying no to both.

VPS reseller = For summer hosts
    VPN offers = Nah, grab a cheap yearly VPS

• @PetaByet said:
    VPS reseller = For summer hosts
    VPN offers = Nah, grab a cheap yearly VPS

Even though we (GoodHosting) have some offers that would fit these categories (namely the former), we recommend AGAINST the creation of these categories, as they would be abused. (We agree with @PetaByet )

• @mpkossen Watch out for "Shared Hosting Reviews" springing up, loaded with affiliate links. You'll have 200 reviews/day for GoDaddy/Bluehost/etc - people who offer large sums per affiliate signup.

While there are some great 'low end' shared hosts.. you're inviting a ton of idiots to spam this place up.

• LeeLee Veteran

Nothing wrong with a VPS reseller category.

There are many that should be starting with a VPS reseller and focussing on customer attraction, management and retention before moving to setting up/managing their own nodes.

I know a few people who provide a VPS service from a Solus based vps reseller. They have clients who are happy and well looked after because the provider is good and delivers a great product whilst they focus on the client.

It's not all summer hosts and gloom.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @mikeyur said:
    mpkossen Watch out for "Shared Hosting Reviews" springing up, loaded with affiliate links. You'll have 200 reviews/day for GoDaddy/Bluehost/etc - people who offer large sums per affiliate signup.

Spammers be gettin' one chance to clean up their act, then they be tastin' Mr B Hammer's wrath if I'm on duty when dey come spammin'

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • Wat. If you allow these offers can you allow other offers like backups?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

0xdragon said: Wat. If you allow these offers can you allow other offers like backups?

Well, they are implicitly allowed, for example, a ftp account is shared hosting, no? Ours have HTTP and HTTPS also, not to mention SSH with directadmin so would qualify 100% :D
    Oh, maarten, what a can of worms this is :P

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited December 2014

@Maounique said:

@mkpossen , So what about our new line of Virtual NAS backup solution? It has HTTP/HTTPS access (and that HTTP(S) access just happens to support CGI script execution, such as PHP; thus making it for all intents and purposes, Shared Hosting.)

No, but honestly; I love that more things are allowed, but I think this one this allows a lot more than intended; and I imagine a lot of people will be banned in short order for making really terrible and off-colour offers in the next few weeks.

• I can see let losing focus to increase page hits for adbucks... soon this place will be crap with unknown reseller kiddies... atleast have a policy restricting shared / reseller section only to those who had min 1lowendvps offer in the last 3/6 months.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2014

I understand we are basically no one here, but this change should have been discussed with the community, at least would give some impression that LET is for users, and not the other way round. And to purport the ruining of LET and turning it into a shared hosting cesspool as some sort of "celebration" shows almost sadistic enjoyment in destroying it.

Practically speaking, now when I see a topic which says "$10/year", open it, it'll be not a nifty cheap LowEndBox, but more of that shared reseller crap again.

• One of the reasons I liked LET was because it was a VPS only discussion board.

Now it's gonna be filled with shared hosting crap like every other VPS board.

• @rm_ said:
    I understand we are basically no one here, but this change should have been discussed with the community, at least would give some impression that LET is for users, and not the other way round. And to purport the ruining of LET and turning it into a shared hosting cesspool as some sort of "celebration" shows almost sadistic enjoyment in destroying it.

Practically speaking, now when I see a topic which says "$10/year", open it, it'll be not a nifty cheap LowEndBox, but more of that shared reseller crap again.

This.

• rm_ said: I understand we are basically no one here, but this change should have been discussed with the community, at least would give some impression that LET is for users, and not the other way round. And to purport the ruining of LET and turning it into a shared hosting cesspool as some sort of "celebration" shows almost sadistic enjoyment in destroying it.

Every rose has its thorns :) Good thing for LET doesn't mean everybody's happy.

I just hope that @mpkossen and all moderators and administrators would be able to improve the ongoing rules from time to time so that even though this forum is owned by a commercial entity, the community might have their benefit by joining this community.

I must say this frankly, VpsBoard is my country, I am a permanent resident here at LET, and during holidays, I spend a day or two at WHT and LinkedIn :)

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Wonder if it would be possible to add a [SHARED] or [RESELLER] tag at the start of a posts title for shared hosting and reseller hosting.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • @SpeedBus said:
    Wonder if it would be possible to add a [SHARED] or [RESELLER] tag at the start of a posts title for shared hosting and reseller hosting.

I think we can look into that, definitely. It would make the separate categories work well with Vanilla's front page format.

Thanked by 1SpeedBus
  • 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited December 2014

Okay, okay. I hate these shared offers already.

• Any thoughts of making these posts public with moderator's approval first?

I think this way you narrow offers down to a specific format and obey the rules at the same time.

Surely this will need time from the mods team but I think it would be a good way to start this.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • rm_ said: And to purport the ruining of LET and turning it into a shared hosting cesspool as some sort of "celebration" shows almost sadistic enjoyment in destroying it.

Everything for traffic, even if this means mostly crap. Business interest behind LEB/LET show it's true colour here.
    We may complain here and there, but things will go on...
    Just look what's happened with LOWENDBOX "community" (wait.. is there still any LEB community left at all?) in last years. But what do they know about that...

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Spirit said: But what do they know about that...

Well, you could always ban the bad apples, time for a clean-up and the really nice people will be back. You allowed it to happen, you were even happy when I was unbanned when Chief sold out.

• @Spirit said:

Very true. Things will go on, so enjoy it

• mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited December 2014

@TH_George said:
    Any thoughts of making these posts public with moderator's approval first?

I think this way you narrow offers down to a specific format and obey the rules at the same time.

Surely this will need time from the mods team but I think it would be a good way to start this.

Afraid not. Welcome to the wonderful and 14%-finished piece of forum software called "Vanilla"!

I'm pretty sure actually that phpBB 1 could do more than Vanilla.

Thanked by 2vRozenSch00n Raymii
  • Maybe a dumb question...but why aren't you changing to something else like phpBB ?

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited December 2014

@TH_George said:
    Maybe a dumb question...but why aren't you changing to something else like phpBB ?

Without Vanilla LET would just be "yet another WHT clone attempt" (as once it's a forum, it will operate like VPSB, HET, or WHT easily.) I've seen FreeVPS turn the same way pretty quickly once they accepted "we're just another forum."

• I understand what you're saying...

I don't think though the the script LET runs on defines what it is or how it works.
    I think that with a better script and maybe some additions to the moderators team this could work. It all comes down to how you work to maintain the rules and the formality of the community you are trying to build.

Thats my personal opinion though I can see your point in what you're saying.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited December 2014

i like the simplicity and functionallity of this current forum system (not bloated) and things like calling people using the "@" symbole etc. - those are little things but make it really convenient because you dont have to press a quote button unlike the other forum systems. ofcourse you could argue that there are plugins for other forum systems that offer this same functionallity but why change something that already works?

• @TH_George said:
    Maybe a dumb question...but why aren't you changing to something else like phpBB ?

Because not everybody is convinced switching to another piece of software is a good option. I have several issues that seriously cost us a lot of time, but they don't seem to weigh up to certain concerns (which have not been made known to me).

phpBB would be the worst one to switch to, IMHO. The project is close to dead with their lead developer spending more time on PHP conferences and his own personal commercial entity than on the project. They just had their first release in, what, two years? It's disappointing to say the least. Aside from that, there's no clear course.

GoodHosting said: Without Vanilla LET would just be "yet another WHT clone attempt"

People who think this should think twice, IMHO. We're a lot more than "yet another WHT clone attempt" regardless of what people think of the recent change(s). We'll never be another WHT and I hope there will never be another WHT. The original is bad enough (though popular); we don't need another one.

@Mark_R said:
    i like the simplicity and functionallity of this current forum system (not bloated) and things like calling people using the "@" symbole etc. - those are little things but make it really convenient because you dont have to press a quote button unlike the other forum systems. ofcourse you could argue that there are plugins for other forum systems that offer this same functionallity but why change something that already works?

There's a lot of shortcomings and bugs in Vanilla that makes in ineffective for moderators and administrators. It is seriously a pain and if you ask me, one of the worst pieces of forum software freely available today.

The thing is, a lot of things that make Vanilla "unique" can be quite easily achieved with any mature piece of forum software. It's seriously not that hard. Fixing Vanilla, though, is.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2014

Spirit said: Just look what's happened with LOWENDBOX "community" (wait.. is there still any LEB community left at all?) in last years.

What LowEndBox community, do you specifically mean "LEB community" as opposed to "LET community"? Because that makes no sense whatsoever. The community is here on LET because Vanilla is a nice and convenient way to communicate, whereas the WordPress comment section of LEB has been murdered dead by the removal of ability to subscribe to new replies (still not fixed to this day, but oh well who really cares, let's all talk here on LET instead, nothing wrong with that).

mpkossen said: Welcome to the wonderful and 14%-finished piece of forum software called "Vanilla"!

Nah it's not that bad. It's simple, clean, convenient and works well. The only visibly lacking area is search, but one can use "site:lowendtalk.com" in Google instead.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • rm_ said: What LowEndBox community, do you specifically mean "LEB community" as opposed to "LET community"? Because that makes no sense whatsoever. The community is here on LET because Vanilla is a nice and convenient way to communicate, whereas the WordPress comment section of LEB has been murdered dead by the removal of ability to subscribe to new replies (still not fixed to this day, but oh well who really cares, let's all talk here on LET instead, nothing wrong with that).

It's simply that the plugin wasn't compatible anymore and was removed. If there's any alternative, I'd really be happy to have it installed ASAP.

rm_ said: Nah it's not that bad. It's simple, clean, convenient and works well. The only visibly lacking area is search, but one can use "site:lowendtalk.com" in Google instead.

From a user's point of view it's fine, I agree with you there. For moderators/administrators, it's a pain.

• When LEA choose Vanilla as his forum platform, vanilla was in Beta phase. This was his hobby to tweak and develop scripts and plugins as this was a forum for hobbyist looking for low end VPS and discuss how we can make a good use of a 32MB - 96MB VPS. I think @Spirit & @_rm knows more about it.

I still remember that @_rm was the first to introduce the difference between:

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=512 oflag=dsync && rm -f test

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k oflag=dsync && rm -f test

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && rm -f test

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=1M count=512  conv=fdatasync && rm -f test

I still remember when @eva2000 introduce his centminmod and all the goodies here.

We still have @Mikho, @Raymii, @sleddog, @munzy, @PetaByet, and many other hobbyist, open source developer and professionals who contribute a lot to this community.

The fact that this forum is not as it was (read as commercial), doesn't mean that this forum is bad.

IMHO @mpkossen should involve more non-commercial (read as non-provider) hobbyist and open source developer to balance between commercial forum and community forum.

This discussion has been closed.