Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GridVirt VPS (KVM) Review - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GridVirt VPS (KVM) Review

Comments

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@GridVirt said: We use "multiple" Intel SSDs in a Raid array (proprietary config, "it is the secret sauce in our recipe").

So what are you going to do when your failure happens since no raid setup supports SSD properly yet.

• GridVirtGridVirt Member
    edited June 2012

@miTgiB said: So what are you going to do when your failure happens since no raid setup supports SSD properly yet.

Actually you are wrong. SSDs are supported in Raid. It is the TRIM function that is not.

Garbage collection still works perfectly fine in Raid and adding additional reserved space increases endurance/life-span of each SSD. As for drive failures that is what parity and hot spares are for ;) and in case that fails (Raid isn't backup) we maintain daily local snapshots to backup disks and upload them offsite on a weekly basis.

Seann

• @GridVirt said: After reading through the forms I put together a plan this morning to offer this community services that fit within the LEB criteria. Hopefully not to the demise of my better judgement. I have a message typed up and will post it soon to get a feel for the demand to see if it would be worth the time and effort spent.

Please tell me more, as you got my attention now :)

• @djvdorp said: Please tell me more, as you got my attention now :)

Still talking it over with Lorne. I will open a new discussion when we come to a decision and work out the details.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • yomeroyomero Member
    edited June 2012

I've never used an SSD.
    That trim stuff and so is unknown to me. Someone can explain it in a couple of lines? (I don't have a brain now to understand what my google god says).

• @yomero said: I've never used an SSD.

That trim stuff and so is unknown to me. Someone can explain it in a couple of lines? (I don't have a brain now to understand what my google god says).

SSDs aren't told when data is deleted—the OS makes the memory space available in the file system and doesn't bother actually deleting the content. (This is how file recovery utilities are able to work.)

When the OS deletes a file on an SSD, it updates the file system but also tells the SSD via the TRIM command which pages should be deleted. At the time of the delete, the SSD can read the block into memory, erase the block, and write back only pages with data in them. The delete is slower, but you get no performance degradation for writes because the pages are already empty, and write performance is generally what you care about.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited June 2012

@GridVirt please ignore the trolls.

But you have to keep in mind that this community's attitude towards new hosts is that they are untrustworthy by default, and have to earn trust. And that for a good reason, see for example the latest case with XmXen
    Therefor i guess you can imagine the reaction to someone signing up and praising a completly unknown provider.

Of course this effect is intensified when said provider was involved in operations of the rather shady spectrum (offshore hosting, seedboxes)
    The same goes for no address/name on the website (which is commonly interpreted as 'having something to hide')

Anyway good luck with your company and i hope i could clear up some stuff and give you constructive criticism :)

• GridVirtGridVirt Member
    edited June 2012

@yomero said: That trim stuff and so is unknown to me. Someone can explain it in a couple of lines?

A bit involved to explain within a couple lines but for all the information you will need check the wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write_amplification

It explains all of it including garbage collection, wear leveling, Over-provisioning, TRIM, etc.

Seann

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited June 2012

@GridVirt said: It explains all of it including garbage collection, ware leveling, Over-provisioning, TRIM, etc.

Ty n_n

@djvdorp said: The delete is slower, but you get no performance degradation for writes because the pages are already empty

So, the SSD needs to delete first to write =/ This is a hardware limitation or a security standard?
    Then, instead of deleting when needed, it deletes when you... delete, lol.
    I am right?

• @gsrdgrdghd said: But you have to keep in mind that this community's attitude towards new hosts is that they are untrustworthy by default, and have to earn trust.

I fully understand any negative reaction especially given the number of bad hosts out there but one liner "spam" posts are not constructive in any way (not directed at you)

@gsrdgrdghd said: The same goes for no address/name on the website (which is commonly interpreted as 'having something to hide')

Our names are easily found on our sites' "About Us" page and you can find our address on our invoices and in our domains' whois information. I'm sure that is where you found most of the information that you posted ;) You can even see that we are a registered corporation by just doing a search on GridVirt Inc.

We have absolutely nothing to hide.

@gsrdgrdghd said: Of course this effect is intensified when said provider was involved in operations of the rather shady spectrum (offshore hosting, seedboxes)

As with any service it isn't inherently bad it just depends on what the user uses it for. I have a seedbox/file server myself for a few scripts that I have developed over the years.

Seann

• @GridVirt said: I fully understand any negative reaction especially given the number of bad hosts out there but one liner "spam" posts are not constructive in any wa

I completly agree, "please ignore the trolls." was relating to those one-liners ;)

@GridVirt said: Our names are easily found on our sites' "About Us" page and you can find our address on our invoices and in our domains' whois information. I'm sure that is where you found most of the information that you posted ;) You can even see that we are a registered corporation by just doing a search on GridVirt Inc.

I guess i'm just used to every legitiamte commercial site having a legal imprint (with address and VAT number) since thats the law here, so i sometimes forget that thats not the case for US websites.

@GridVirt said: As with any service it isn't inherently bad it just depends on what the user uses it for

True, but lets be honst: Nobody buys a seedbox from a seedbox providerfor backups :P

• @gsrdgrdghd said: True, but lets be honst: Nobody buys a seedbox from a seedbox providerfor backups :P

This is the response Lorne sent me over chat:
    Lorne: actually people do and I saw it a few times at SeedKing. Seedboxes are built with large amounts of storage and bandwidth for the most part which makes them suitable for more than just torrents. That being said like any host you need to make sure that the company is setup properly as many seedbox companies are running drives with no raid and no redundancy so if the drive goes poof everything is gone. We ran Raid 10 on all servers to give some data security making it suitable for a external backup server. People used the SeedBoxes for hosting websites, streaming media, even a few gameservers, and many other "normal" VPS uses. And yeah of course torrents which some people might not agree with but if you look around at many budget VPS providers they are also being used as SeedBoxes and the provider in most cases turns a blind eye until they start receiving DMCA notices. All this being said I see no reason for SeedKing to reflect badly on GridVirt which we have and continue to put so much time and effort into on a daily basis.

@gsrdgrdghd said: I guess i'm just used to every legitiamte commercial site having a legal imprint (with address and VAT number) since thats the law here, so i sometimes forget that thats not the case for US websites.

Thanks, I will have to look into that. Last I knew that was only required in Germany. We do have plans of expanding into Europe so I will have to make sure our new site complies with that requirement including the new UK cookie law before we do. Though I'm not sure we even have to comply since we are in the USA I will look into what we have to do to make our customers feel more comfortable.

Seann

• antivenantiven Member
    edited June 2012

@GridVirt said: Before an admin or mod even confirms? Without proof to the contrary, why would you?

I've searched and read warnings about the rudeness/lack of common curtsy on this site. I'd hope the naysayers don't fully represent this community. I should have just left well enough alone, followed common net etiquette, and not responded to the trolls.

Opps! just did it again! (#kick-self)

Crap no, that backfired on me. I meant to ridicule the assume-bad-faith-mentality of this forum, not take part in it. Sorry.

• @antiven said: Crap no, that backfired on me. I meant to ridicule the assume-bad-faith-mentality of this forum, not take part in it. Sorry.

That is alright. Sorry if I took it out of context. Just reading though these forums gave me the same impression and I figured that I had to remain on my guard here.

Seann

• subigosubigo Member

Sorry, I just generally assume that one hit wonder posts (with unconfirmed emails), which review a company that just started last month, is spam. Especially when the grammar usage between the reviewer and host is so similar. Maybe "Fate" can confirm that email address and prove me wrong... I'll hold my breath.

• Actually he might have forgotten the access to his email address as he changed it today.

• @subigo said: Especially when the grammar usage between the reviewer and host is so similar

I noticed this too. We've had this happen before a couple times. Someone opens an account to post an over the top testimonial about a provider nobody has heard about and then a representative from the provider just happens to stumble in by chance in under 12-24hrs to thank the person and tell us more about their great company.

• @subigo said: Sorry, I just generally assume that one hit wonder posts (with unconfirmed emails), which review a company that just started last month, is spam. Especially when the grammar usage between the reviewer and host is so similar. Maybe "Fate" can confirm that email address and prove me wrong... I'll hold my breath.

I always try my best to have clear, comprehensive grammar and spelling in any copy I write. I try to be as professional as possible. I am representing my corporation after all. Though I do see a few mistakes after a quick glance of the review I'm sure they tried their best. Wouldn't you as well for a public review?

To clarify I did flag the post for an admin/mod to verify the review. Lorne also asked our client on our support desk to verify their email address here to help clear up any confusion. Their response was: "I received the verification email but it did not work when I clicked the URL"

They have since contacted an admin/mod here and are waiting for a response. They probably changed their email address thinking they could re-verify with a different address, but it still looks like they haven't had any luck.

I'm sure a mod/admin will take care of and clear this up soon.

Seann

• @JoeMerit said: I noticed this too. We've had this happen before a couple times. Someone opens an account to post an over the top testimonial about a provider nobody has heard about and then a representative from the provider just happens to stumble in by chance in under 12-24hrs to thank the person and tell us more about their great company.

If you actually took the time to read though this thread you would know that I found this while doing a simple google search for "gridvirt". I'm sure if any host seen that a review had taken the 2nd now 3rd spot on a google search for their name they would respond as well.

I've only answered questions and replied to comments left by others in this community. This is an open forum/community after all, correct?

Seann

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Well since you've asked multiple times for a moderator to clear this up, sure the IP addresses and email addresses are different.

However, in my personal opinion that does not prove anything, anyone can easily obtain a residential IP address and make a new email.

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited June 2012

@GridVirt said: I've only answered questions and replied to comments left by others in this community. This is an open forum/community after all, correct?

Its open alright! Welcome aboard! Hope to see some amazing products out of you.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@jack I'll let one of the other moderators or Chief drop in, I can't really copy and paste properly on this phone.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@GridVirt did you own madlark.com before? if yes, what happened there? why not just continue that name?

• @Infinity said: However, in my personal opinion that does not prove anything, anyone can easily obtain a residential IP address and make a new email.

It's just a matter of asking a friend to post a fake review, not difficult at all.

• @jcaleb said: did you own madlark.com before? if yes, what happened there? why not just continue that name?

That question was answered in my first post. Please check #3 in the list.

@Jack said: I like your site , It looks really nice!

Thank you very much! I put it together back in April to get us started. It uses WHMCS, some custom/some bought code/addons, and my own graphics.

I'm currently developing a completely custom site of our own which will include our own in house coded/developed blog, forums, client management/administration, and even our own control panel.

@Infinity said: However, in my personal opinion that does not prove anything, anyone can easily obtain a residential IP address and make a new email.

I agree, but I hope that it at least clears things up as much as it can. I don't know what else I can do on my end to prove the legitimacy of the review. I hope that everyone will take my word for it that it came from a customer and not from someone of any other affiliation with our company.

Seann

• TazTaz Member

@Seann, just a question It is uncommon ( really) that a user sign's up for the sole purpose of making a review with out some sort of benefit. And while we are here, how come the Op never replied back?

• @NinjaHawk Not at all, I have seen it many times from other hosts. Though there was no incentive here. I will admit that we do offer a higher affiliate commission to our 3rd party reviewers/benchmarkers (though only one has actually used the affiliate links) but that is not the case here this is a client and we do not reward our clients for posting reviews.

I can't answer for the OP. Last I knew they were having issues with the email verification and contacted an admin/mod to get it taken care of. I don't know if that is stopping them from replying or not I will inquire about this.

• TazTaz Member

@GridVirt and most of those are (90%) fake/affiliated.

• @NinjaHawk That is true and that is why we only invite and allow the ones that are well known in the hosting community as legitimate. We give them 1 Node and check in every week for up to 2 weeks until they have completed their review. We will re-invite them every 2-3 months to update their review as well. Yes it is a bit more involved but a valid and legitimate review from a respected reviewer is worth 10 times the reputation of any so called "top site" review. Even if that top site sits high in the search rankings, we refuse to go near them.

Back on topic >>

I received a response from Valerie. She gave me permission to use her name now. She has been sitting in the IRC waiting for an admin/mod. She said she has tried but can't post any replies here. I know how IRC can get. Please don't harass her. Let her get in contact with a mod and get her account here taken care of. She is doing this as a favor to us and we really appreciate it.

Seann

• okay, it is now the trend here to throw knives from all sides to welcome a new provider. I do agree that such investigations!! has brought some shady providers in the past, and have also resulted with DDOS and such threats.
    In this case, he is not a low end provider, and at these prices i am sure 99.9% of the LET users aren't tempted. So lets ignore this review and wait for any low-end-offers he is willing to make.

PS : It is not uncommon for anyone to utilize free advertisement. Whoever Fate is, the fact is that, this review is on the front page of Google for the company keyword. And naturally the owners of the company want to jump in.

So welcome aboard @GridVirt, We welcome strangers with daggers and arrows. Reg your web design and pricing, i get reminded of mediatemple, however you are even expensive than that. I am sure you must have a compelling reason why anyone want to try a new company, which sets a very steep price to start. Anyway, now that you have got everyone's attention, impress us with your low end offers. Good luck!!!

Thanked by 1GridVirt