Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The new Microsoft tablet (Surface) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The new Microsoft tablet (Surface)

2»

Comments

• Oops didn't mean to thank you.

Personally, I don't care too much for apple. Only thing I like about them is their iPod. iPad is basically a bloated iPod touch.

• @EricCubixCloud said: Apple FTW ;) Who's with me?

Not me. Apple sucks ... I have a dead pixel on my iPad ... and the customer support thinks it is a software glitch. After I explain to the lady it is a hardware problem and that I want it to be fixed she tells me they don't fix 1 dead pixel under warranty.

iPad has been the best tablet till now ... and it still is. However, once the MS tablet is out game over for iPad.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

+rep points to Microsoft for using Gorilla Glass, if you don't know what that is, youtube it, stuff rocks. Here's update on what the tablet will have

"The first Surface Microsoft showed is a 10.6-inch tablet (the screen is Gorilla Glass, and is a 16:9 ratio, like laptop screens and Android tablets but unlike the iPad), a bit bigger than the 9.7-inch iPad, made of magnesium "liquid metal." This one, made for consumers and more mobile types, will run Windows RT. It'll weigh 1.5 pounds, a little more than the new iPad's 1.44, though at 9.3mm thick, it is a whopping zero-point-one millimeters thinner. It's got a full-sized USB port, storage of either 32GB or 64GB, and one of the coolest things we've seen so far is the case. It's got a built-in magnetic stand, like the iPad's Smart Cover, but it also has a suuuuper thin keyboard with multitouch keys on it. The keyboard sounds kind of awesome! It has sensors so it can tell how much force you're using on the keyboard, which lets you rest your fingers on it without triggering a key. Really cool! (If you want real, tactile keys, there's another, slightly less thin cover that offers that.)

A second one, just shown, is for "professionals"--apparently it has a much more impressive spec list, "rivaling that of the best ultrabooks," and will use Windows 8 Professional. That means Ivy Bridge processors, USB 3.0, and a storage capacity of 64GB and 128GB. Unfortunately, it also means bigger and heavier--a 13.5mm thickness, and a 1.9-pound weight, which is pretty heft. It's got stylus or pen input, surprisingly! But luckily it also has two separate sensors, so you don't have to worry about your hand resting on the screen and registering--when it senses the pen, it'll stop sensing your hand.

What's curious is that Microsoft has long been reliant on hardware partners--HP, Dell, Lenovo, Acer, the list goes on probably forever--but in recent years, the company's been getting just worked by Apple in the ultraportable area. Not talking about just the iPad; there's also no real competitor to the MacBook Air, which is the whole reason for the "Ultrabook" movement/PR bonanza. The Surface looks like it might serve both those niches at once, and better than any of Microsoft's partners (who, of course, could have made this--they just haven't).
    "

http://popsci.feedsportal.com/c/34567/f/632420/s/207bdcec/l/0L0Spopsci0N0Cgadgets0Carticle0C20A120E0A60Cmicrosoft0Eannounces0Eits0Efirst0Ereal0Etablet0Esurface/story01.htm

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Microsoft doesnt suck so bad anymore since vista. They learned their lesson the hard way, before they just thought they can throw anything at the market with the microsoft logo and we will eat it.
    I went up from 0 trust in MS to 10-15 on a scale from 0-100 and the trend is still upwards.
    They are no longer using proxies like sco to sue linux, in general leave others do the dirty work. Watch Oracle and Apple, MS is no longer the spearhead against OS and digital freedom.
    M

• @Maounique said: since vista

After vista I think, I hated Vista.

Yeah, I wanted to say since the vista disaster :P
    M

• Gotta be honest, this might just be a win ;-)

FWIW, I think Apple would go with ARM if they were to start today and that wont be a bad move. I am willing to bet tons of geeks are looking for ARM servers and home appliances. The time has come, Atom cant really compete in some markets, it's the architecture, no matter how good they are (and by the looks of it they handled the Atom affair very badly as even AMD has a superior product not only in price but also quality which is a rare combination against Intel) x86 is not a match for ARM in their market.
    M

• @Maounique said: FWIW, I think Apple would go with ARM

Apple were one of the founded fo ARM.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@Maounique said: Microsoft doesnt suck so bad anymore since vista.

Microsoft has a history of good/bad os

Windows 2k good, Windows ME bad, Windows xp good, Windows Vista bad, Windows 7 good...

• And from what it looks like right now: Windows 8 bad

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@taipres said: Windows 2k good, Windows ME bad, Windows xp good, Windows Vista bad, Windows 7 good...

Working backwards, you'd be saying that Windows 98 was good but Windows 95 was bad, while Windows 3.1 was good. I don't agree.

Thanked by 1Liam
  • taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@raindog308 said: Working backwards, you'd be saying that Windows 98 was good but Windows 95 was bad, while Windows 3.1 was good. I don't agree.

well many would, so, like others you're entitled to your opinion. You also forgot win nt and looking back the nt kernel is the foundation for most of Microsofts good os's. 3.1 was also a massive hit for Microsoft.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited June 2012

Apple doesn't make computers. They make devices. You're not supposed to open them up. Apple introduced those proprietary screws years ago to stop people doing just that. If Jobs could've figured out how to construct a one-piece case and pour the internals in in a liquid state, and let it setup like Jello, he would've done it. Buy it, use it, but stay the f*ck out!

Microsoft built an operating system. And they built partnerships with hardware manufacturers to use that OS. You can buy cheap hardware or expensive hardware, Microsoft doesn't give a damn. You can open it up, change out parts and upgrade it. Microsoft doesn't mind that at all, 'cause now you're ready to buy the new version of Windows, right? Just don't attempt to "open up" the software.... buy it, use it, but stay the f*ck out.

Two different approaches to empire-building. Check back in another 10 years and we'll see which one really succeeds.

Oh, if you don't like corporations telling you to "stay out" of your computer, there's Linux.

• nabonabo Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: And from what it looks like right now: Windows 8 bad

I can't say that. I have it running here side by side with Windows 7, and I like Windows 8. I especially like the Metro-Start-UI.

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited June 2012

Honestly, the tablet itself looks very good.....way better than the ipad imo. Especially that keyboard attachment (that also has a trackpad!?).......can actually do something productive on a tablet now!

Windows 8 mobile is actually a great OS too, contrary to the hate.

• TazTaz Member

One question, why you guys keep calling ipad a Tablet? It is just a big itouch. It has nothing compared to real tablet.
    May be adding some nice external input device's?

Microsoft surface does look promising and I must say, it does have some good feature. External keyboard, slick look and those nice little peripheral port outside got me excited.

• TazTaz Member

And why would anyone want desktop look for a tablet/mobile device? IOS does not look like Osx.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Pray tell us the definition of a "real tablet".

• KairusKairus Member

@raindog308 said: Pray tell us the definition of a "real tablet".

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • if history repeats for microsoft and windows, windows 8 would be a failure / maiden attempt ( like windows Me, and Windows Vista )
    Windows 95 - Winner
    Windows 97 - (held back)
    Windows 98 SE - Winner
    Windows Me
    Windows Xp - Winner
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7 - Winner
    Windows 8
    Windows 9 -> Wait for me

MS/Windows always does things right the second time, so i will skip metro this time ;)

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

saw this on digg heh

Thanked by 1titanicsaled