Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linode's Birthday Giveaway - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linode's Birthday Giveaway

2»

Comments

• ChanChan Member

Awesome just got it

Congratulations! You got in on the Giveway!

You will recieve a credit for this Linode in August, September, and October.
    Continue to your new Linode -->

• fanfan Veteran

Got an account with nothing in it, weird. Not sure they managed to bill my CC or not.

• ChanChan Member
    edited June 2012

@Jack
    Yep, this month prorated plus next month (for me it's $56.48, $16.48 this month and $40 next month)

@fan
    Back when I signed up, my Debit card didn't work and I simply got blocked when I try to log in the Management Panel

• @Jack Correct, you pay to end of July first, which cost me around 28 USD.

• @Chan said: Shame less self repost referral link:

@mods Is referral allowed in this case?

• @fan If it worked you should get an email from them with the invoice.

• ChanChan Member

@zhuanyi
    Well it has been there in the first post since the beginning for two days, if that's not ok mods can remove it

• @Chan I don't really care and good luck with the 20 bucks x n signups :)

• @Jack Guess they have got enough orders without Paypal :)

• fanfan Veteran

@zhuanyi said: @fan If it worked you should get an email from them with the invoice.

The only email I got is the support ticket receipt. Now waiting for an answer.

• @fan I got 3, but I am a new customer, one invoice, one account activation and one receipt, I figure even if you are not new you should get 2 at least.

• yomeroyomero Member

I got the mine!!! Awwwww! yeah.
    Should I put it at Tokyo...? Hmmm

• Actually do people know if we can change the location later on for free?

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited June 2012

Welcome Linode newbies...

@zhuanyi said: Actually do people know if we can change the location later on for free?

Start here :)

• subigosubigo Member
    edited June 2012

I like how their money countdown script is obviously bullshit. Anyway, I have a policy to not give money to companies who get hacked and never completely disclose what happened. Especially when those companies only accept credit cards and nothing else.

https://manager.linode.com/signup/_giveaway
    http://stuntsnippets.com/javascript-countdown

Thanked by 2Infinity Liam
  • Thanks @sleddog

This is what I found:

Can I transfer my Linode to another datacenter?

As long as there is an available slot at the datacenter you'd like to transfer to, you may open a ticket via the "Support" tab in the Linode Manager to request a DC migration. Your disk images and configuration profiles will move with your Linode, although your IP addresses will need to change. Once we stage your migration, you'll see a "migration pending" link in the Linode Manager, which you may use at your convenience to migrate your Linode.

If we don't have any available slots at the datacenter of your choice, don't despair. Please open a support ticket for your request, and we'll add you to an internal queue of Linodes awaiting new hosts. As soon as a slot becomes available, your migration will be staged and you'll be notified with an update to your ticket.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@subigo said: Especially when those companies only accept credit cards and nothing else.

Why does that matter? I couldn't care less.

• subigosubigo Member

@raindog308 said: Why does that matter? I couldn't care less.

I'm not giving my credit card number directly to a company that was completely owned (for what could have been months) and never once came out and disclosed anything of importance. I would only consider them if they had a third party payment system in place and didn't store anything more than username/password/email. And you'd think a company who brags about how fantastic their coders are would be able to make a simple script for actually checking the amount of orders that came through... instead of copy/pasting a snippet... which just makes me think the whole "$250,00 giveaway" is marketing bullshit.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

The whole thing that you have to order a VM and pay it pro-rated to the end of next month, automatically removes it from the low-end category. I see it worthless to pay for a VM that will get nullrouted even if someoen randomly sends a DDoS to a serevr of myne.

• TaylorTaylor Member

@LiquidHost said: VM that will get nullrouted even if someoen randomly sends a DDoS to a serevr of myne.

It happened to me ones, got it completely suspended permanently. not from linode tho.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited June 2012

@LiquidHost said: The whole thing that you have to order a VM and pay it pro-rated to the end of next month, automatically removes it from the low-end category.

Are you referring to Linode? If so, they were never in the "low-end category". And please let us know when you get that first KVM node online. Perhaps I'll turn a VM up for a day to try it out.... ;)

@LiquidHost said: automatically removes it from the low-end category

They never were...totally different market.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited June 2012

@raindog308 said: They never were...totally different market.

I am aware of that, I can see the prices. I meant about this thread, did nto express myself correctly. As you have to pay ~30$ to get the credit.

• lbftlbft Member
    edited June 2012

@LiquidHost said: I am aware of that, I can see the prices. I meant about this thread, did nto express myself correctly. As you have to pay ~30$ to get the credit.

For a 512 it still comes out at $4.39/month from now until the end of the year.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited June 2012

@raindog308 said: And...it's gone.

Lasted too much imho =P
    You got one?

@yomero said: You got one?

Yeah, I had enough credit with them for a month and a half of a 512. A high performance VPS is always useful, but having it for only 45 days is not..however, with this promo I can have it through the end of October, so why not.