Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linode's Birthday Giveaway
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linode's Birthday Giveaway

ChanChan Member
edited June 2012 in Providers

Not trying to be a fanboy of Linode here but they are now having a deal/giveaway, if you sign up on the upcoming Tuesday you'll get $100 credits credited to your account. If you're an old customer if you sign up for a new Linode you'll get the that Linode free for three months after paying for the first month. Details are here
Before flaming at me for posting about a non LEB VPS on LEB, with the deal the VPS is only about $5 per month (for the 512MB and ONLY for the first four months), which is quite cheap even compared to LEB providers. If this is not allowed mods can feel free to delete this thread (or move to Offtopic whatever)
Link to linode without my referral: here
If you're so kind when you sign up please use my referral link here (don't know if I'm allowed to post it here, if not just remove it)

Comments

• I saw that too, got a Linode myself. :)

• ChanChan Member

@dominicl
    I'll probably not renew my Linode next month and just migrate my current one to the new one lol, doesn't seem that hard judging by the tutorials at Linode Library (clone harddrive + swap IPs)

• flyfly Member

@chan that's certainly possible. just make a new linode, clone the old one, and use the swap ip function. you can also use the API to make that super easy

• bretonbreton Member
    edited June 2012

@Chan said: with the deal the VPS is only about $5 per month (for the 512MB anyway)

Err, how did you count that?

Anyway, I don't think anyone of mods will be against this topic.

• ChanChan Member

@breton
    New customers this month pro-rated + next month: $30 ~ish
    Then you'll get $100 credit which is equal to 5 months of service.
    $30/6=$5 ~ish
    I can't be too sure about the old customer bit though, it depends on which one you sign up for

• jcalebjcaleb Member

would that be recurring?

• subigosubigo Member

Don't forget... they also throw in some crappy security and deniability with every purchase!

• ChanChan Member
    edited June 2012

@subigo
    You've got a point..., when I signed up for mine I had to sent them a copy of my ID and my debit card. Didn't take long for a respond though and that's like the only time I've ever used their support

@jcaleb
    No you get $100 Linode Credits

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

They never have sales...perhaps they're overstocked?

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • I always wondered how many customers they have to keep that much extra stock. If you convert the larger Linodes to 512s (ie, one 1024 = two 512s, etc.), they have the equivalent of 7600 spare 512s, and that's just counting the containers up to 4 GB, listed on the main page.

• We existing customers only get 3 free months instead of 5. I know, don't look a gift horse in the mouth, but you'd think loyal existing customers would get more goodies than newbies.

• Thanks but for $19.99 i can probably get 3 different vps on different location every month.

linode y u no cheap?

• @cosmicgate said: linode y u no cheap?

1. Xen
    2. They have real 24/7 support
  • I only like to use fake 24/7 support, who needs that real stuff anyhow?

Especially, when the fake support pretends to care.
    (/sarcasm)

• debugdebug Member

I wish they would give the credit to active accounts :(

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2012

Nice deal. Their prices are worth it to the right person. Great backup system, simple load balancing, kernel customization that is practically unheard of elsewhere (for xen), dns hosting, etc.

Obviously it's not reasonable for everyone, but they certainly have their market.

• lbftlbft Member

@Satellite said: We existing customers only get 3 free months instead of 5. I know, don't look a gift horse in the mouth, but you'd think loyal existing customers would get more goodies than newbies.

I don't know why anyone would go for the higher end Linode plans when you can get a dedi for the same money, but someone who did would be better off with the 3 free months than $100.

@jarland said: Obviously it's not reasonable for everyone, but they certainly have their market.

Linode historically has been one of those "it just works" services. They also were early into the market, and have great marketing- e.g., you don't buy a "Xen VPS" from them, you buy a "linode". Great library, community, etc.

However, there was a little shine off their luster with the security problem they had.

Still, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Their nodes are high performance and their network is very good. Truth be told, I get similar performance from BuyVM, but there's a different support expectation there.

I have a $40 credit sitting there...I guess with this it'd be enough to get a 512 for five months. Weee! Another VPS to backup/monitor/obsessively reconfigure! Woot!

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Guess I didn't see the security issue. I haven't ever really used them for more than toying around. Their features are a great selling point, I just don't particularly need them. I'll always be more at home in a dedicated environment.

• marrcomarrco Member

Definitely the best VPS company i dealt with. Business grade support and solid service, plus they have a great community with forums faqs and comprehensive guides and howtos. Strongly recommended.

• tehdantehdan Member

@raindog308 said: perhaps they're overstocked?

They are overstocked - they bought a bunch of extra capacity online to allow users to migrate to hosts not affected by the recent Xen security advisory at their convenience - and prior to the bugs being publicly disclosed.

@cosmicgate - this is the sort of reason why people are happy to pay their prices.

• SatelliteSatellite Member
    edited June 2012

Linode straddles the line between small business and enterprise hosting. I wouldn't hesitate to host critical stuff with them, they've been amazing in terms of support and management of issues.

I always get instant (1-2 min.) responses no matter when I send in a ticket. Not to mention the Linode control panel is unmatched by anything else in the business. It's almost a work of art.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • marrcomarrco Member

The Linode Birthday $250,000 Giveaway starts in 30 minutes. Good luck!
    http://blog.linode.com/2012/06/16/linode-birthday-giveaway/

Their panel melted down...it's unusable/timing out under the load :-)

I think they need to update their web server as well...0.7? Sheesh.

• Fail @ linode.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • syamansyaman Member

I guess their node balancers were overwhelmed? :p

• got one after filling up my order form for like 5 times at least...

• ChanChan Member
    edited June 2012

Shame less self repost referral link: http://goo.gl/mJjC2
    Oh well to be honest the panel isn't really working well now, probably crashing under the load. They probably need to Node Balance their Control Panel aswell lol

EDIT: DAMNIT THEY BETTER FIX IT BEFORE THE CREDITS RUN OUT!!!