Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The new Microsoft tablet (Surface)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The new Microsoft tablet (Surface)

subigosubigo Member
edited June 2012 in General

I didn't see this posted yet... Microsoft just announced their new tablet.

http://surface.com

yay or nay?

Comments

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

Oh Microsoft please give me your cookie cutter crappy win8 os that doesn't have a start menu, please oh pleeeeeease....

definite, nay.

• edited June 2012

Very interesting, I will have to read more about this.

It looks like they renamed the original "Microsoft Surface" platform to "Microsoft PixelSense".

• subigosubigo Member
    edited June 2012

@taipres said: Oh Microsoft please give me your cookie cutter crappy win8 os that doesn't have a start menu, please oh pleeeeeease....

It's a tablet... what the fuck do you want a start menu for? This is what Microsoft made Windows 8 for...

• @matt_securedspeed said: Very interesting, I will have to read more about this.

It looks like they renamed the original "Microsoft Surface" platform to "Microsoft PixelSense".

Nice find, I do remember the old surface videos

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@subigo said: It's a tablet... what the fuck do you want a start menu for? This is what Microsoft made Windows 8 for...

Yes a market they've failed at for what a decade? First rule of business you don't turn your back on that which is making you your money(i.e the desktop market) you know where they have a monopoly?

• subigosubigo Member

@taipres said: Just a few years ago mac osx had maybe 3% market share there, now it appears to be around 30%

lol... where do you come up with your insane stats? OS X is still around 3%, brother.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@subigo said: lol... where do you come up with your insane stats? OS X is still around 3%, brother.

dang couldn't edit in time heh, I saw a chart the other day that said 30% but I just googled and it says about 6%-7%. Even still if win8 pc sales suck which it appears that's going to be the case, that's more market share they're leaving open to apple.Tablet is whatever, but they need to stop ignoring their core user base. Because no they won't be taking over the tablet market, nor the phone market, so sooner that understand that the better for everyone.

• Already knew about this ... It is a yah from me. Going to also get the lenovo yoga.

• subigosubigo Member

I guess I should say I'll buy it if it's under $600. I've had a Lenovo S10 netbook for five years now and the Surface would be a nice replacement. This isn't a tablet to me, it's a laptop.

• @taipres

I think Microsoft got it right this time.

• SrvisLLCSrvisLLC Member
    edited June 2012

@taipres said: Yes a market they've failed at for what a decade? First rule of business you don't turn your back on that which is making you your money(i.e the desktop market) you know where they have a monopoly?

I've been using windows 8 on my laptop ( without a touchscreen ) for a while now, and I don't even care that the start menu is gone.

I used to use it a lot, but all I need to do is press WIN and then start typing. The operating system boots faster, goes to sleep faster, wakes faster, and I think I could use it on a tablet with ease.

I personally think that they did it right this time. At first during the Windows Developer Preview I really didn't like it that much perhaps because it was not worked out that well and the fact that I didn't know how to use it efficiently.

After installing a SSD + Windows 8 Release Preview and learning how everything works I have found it to be just as good if not better than windows 7. There are still a few bugs with it that I have noticed. Mainly with my graphics card. I cannot get the switch graphics to work correctly like it did on windows 7 so to switch graphics processors I need to use the device manager.

This "Surface" I think looks amazing and would be a great companion to my current laptop setup, now that you can login to a account and have it save your entire windows start (menu or whatever it's called now) I think it would be cool to see that synced across my devices.

I think they have just improved the desktop experience, and made it so that tablets can run a similar or exactly the same OS as our desktops.

• PeZzyPeZzy Member

I also have a Lenovo S10 with a huge aftermarket battery from China. When it comes to mobile device, I pretty picky about battery life. Windows OSes usually have too many services/background processes to get decent battery life.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
  • @raindog308 pretty much true.

• KairusKairus Member
    edited June 2012

@taipres said: Even still if win8 pc sales suck which it appears that's going to be the case, that's more market share they're leaving open to apple

That'll never happen. Apple's computer products aren't price competitive, they'll never take more than a tiny corner of the market.

Apple is even losing in market share to android when for a long time Apple had a superior product, superior advertising, as well as having hype on their side. It's all about the money.

At least metro in Win8 can be disabled, and I won't be surprised if it comes disabled by certain OEMs (if Microsoft allows that).

• @Kairus you're making all the same arguements M$ has been making for years. Apple does not compete on price, it competes on quality. Second Apple rules the mobile ad markets along with the mobile App markets. They have the largest app store with the largest userbase with credit cards active on their accounts, their market share is going up while PC market share is being decimated by iPad sales.

I have had Android phones and Android Tablets at work, and I despise both product lines, there are a plethora of problems with app quality, and just general usability. Samsung Galaxy III is nice, but the screen is actually too big where you have to use two hands or a lot of fancy shuffling the phone in one hand to get anything done. And I have big hands. The tablets I have had were either slow or locked up a lot.

I have had an iPhone since the 3g, I have had a 1st gen iPad and now have an iPad 3 along with a 17" Macbook Pro. Compared to some of the most powerful windows PC's I have built for gaming in the past, I still think OS X, and Apple products are far superior.

Sure I'm not going to build some super custom water cooled PC built into a desk, but I am tired of thinking my way around a windows machine. I actually made an ultimatum to my family, get a Mac or dont ask me for help. They have Mac's and never need help doing things, because "They just work".

Fortunately, Steve Jobs has left Apple and they will soon regress to mediocrity. Judging by the rather "meh" ios6 release, I'd say they're well on their way.

http://gizmodo.com/5913071/10-changes-that-must-have-steve-jobs-rolling-in-his-grave

• I really don't see what the problem is with Win 8, that fancy square boxes interface can be disabled and you get a normal win 7 desktop environment with a few extra enhancements.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

They even got rid of aero in leaked win8 screenshots, they instead replaced it with the laziest crap GUI i've ever seen. It's minimalist taken to a whole new level.

• A microsoft product that one tiny whiny part of me might want, thats a first.

• @Insidiea said: I really don't see what the problem is with Win 8, that fancy square boxes interface can be disabled and you get a normal win 7 desktop environment with a few extra enhancements.

Nope, you can't disable it.

• @Daniel said: you can't disable it.

You can't get rid of it? That's pretty stupid.

• @HalfEatenPie said: You can't get rid of it? That's pretty stupid.

Microsoft wants to force Metro so you will buy a Windows Phone.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • KairusKairus Member

@FRCorey said: @Kairus you're making all the same arguements M$ has been making for years. Apple does not compete on price, it competes on quality. Second Apple rules the mobile ad markets along with the mobile App markets. They have the largest app store with the largest userbase with credit cards active on their accounts, their market share is going up while PC market share is being decimated by iPad sales.

I have had Android phones and Android Tablets at work, and I despise both product lines, there are a plethora of problems with app quality, and just general usability. Samsung Galaxy III is nice, but the screen is actually too big where you have to use two hands or a lot of fancy shuffling the phone in one hand to get anything done. And I have big hands. The tablets I have had were either slow or locked up a lot.

I have had an iPhone since the 3g, I have had a 1st gen iPad and now have an iPad 3 along with a 17" Macbook Pro. Compared to some of the most powerful windows PC's I have built for gaming in the past, I still think OS X, and Apple products are far superior.

Sure I'm not going to build some super custom water cooled PC built into a desk, but I am tired of thinking my way around a windows machine. I actually made an ultimatum to my family, get a Mac or dont ask me for help. They have Mac's and never need help doing things, because "They just work".

I don't think you can say that Apple competes on quality, and Microsoft does not. Is Windows 7 not a quality product? I think it is, you may not. Can you post some sources to back it up that "Apple rules the mobile ad market"?

We'll see how tablet market shares hold up before saying they "decimate PC sales", imo it's a niche product, can't replace a computer for the majority of people.

I'm sorry you feel that way about android products, I love my android phone and tablet.

I completely disagree, there is no way Apple products are far superior, their hardware prices are absurd. I would never drop that kind of cash on a laptop with mediocre specs, but didn't mind dropping $2k on my desktop build.

I'm sorry you have trouble with Windows, I don't and I know a ton of people who don't.

• CoreyCorey Member

@Kairus I agree I think android is close to having the market at this point. Windows 7 was quality IMO.

• nabonabo Member
    edited June 2012

@taipres said: They even got rid of aero in leaked win8 screenshots, they instead replaced it with the laziest crap GUI i've ever seen. It's minimalist taken to a whole new level.

It's actually one of the best GUIs since the Windows 2000 GUI. Minimalized to just help me with my work and don't interfere with it.

Thanked by 1SrvisLLC

@Daniel said: Nope, you can't disable it.

Um, yes you can.

I suspect you have not actually played with it.

• @raindog308 said: Um, yes you can.

You can't disable the Windows 8 Metro UI, you can switch to Desktop, but the Metro UI will always be there.

• Found this to be kinda funny+sad.

• Nay! Just another tablet that isn't made by Apple. I'll add it to the pile of Android/HP/Blackberry tablets out there. I've never previewed the Surface so I can't say much but I don't like the idea of the new Windows 8 from the Beta/Preview I've used.

Apple FTW ;) Who's with me?

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie