Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CentOS 6 or CentOS 7? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CentOS 6 or CentOS 7?

2»

Comments

• I'm still using centos6 as well. It's a shame some providers stopped providing version 6 (eg. Online.Net)

• Centos 6, 6.x is still compatible with many software (cpanel, Vesta, etc.,). I have been following Centos development since version 4.x. At that time, I looked around and decided to pick it up due to cPanel support, and most of the biggest hosting companies were supporting it.

Once you understand its processes, setup, etc., it becomes easy. I use Centos on VPS with at least 1gig of RAM.

I am using Centos 6.x on big e-commerce sites running Apache, Mysql 5.5x, mod_sec, PHP 5.4.34. This is due to compatibility with e-commerce software and modules.

Centos 7 is different, and I've been feeling like I'm re-learning a totally new Linux OS. But I am loving it.

I have one small site on Centos 7 configured with Apache 2.x, PHP 5.4 (PHP-FCGID), and Maria DB. It works great so far.

I just launched another small site with Centos 7 configured with NGINX, PHP 5.4 (PHP-FPM), and Maria DB. I am very impressed on the memory print on this configuration.

When I get a chance, I will post my installations notes for both configuration. :)

I have found that CENTOS 6/7 becomes more enjoyable when you use other repositories. When I am not using cPANEL or Vesta, I use the followings:

Downloading my favorites repos for CENTOS 7.

[root]# wget http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/7/x86_64/e/epel-release-7-2.noarch.rpm

[root]# wget http://rpms.famillecollet.com/enterprise/remi-release-7.rpm

Installing repos

[root]# rpm -Uvh epel-release*.rpm remi-release*.rpm

Disable SELinux. Restart.

[root]# nano /etc/selinux/config
    SELINUX=disabled   # change

[root]# shutdown -r now

Diable built in firewall and use apf or csf or whatever you like

Be root or sudo user

[root]# cd /root
    [root]# systemctl disable firewalld
    [root]# systemctl stop firewalld

Edit the repos and set priority

[root]# yum install yum-plugin-priorities
    [root]# nano /etc/yum.repos.d/epel.repo
    [root]# nano /etc/yum.repos.d/remi.repo
    # After enabled, add priority
    enabled=1
    priority = 10

Install maria db

[root]# yum install mariadb-server mariadb

Start mysql db

[root]# systemctl start mariadb.service

start at reboot

[root]# systemctl enable mariadb.service

Secure Mariadb

[root]# /usr/bin/mysql_secure_installation

Install, restart apache

[root]# yum install httpd
    [root]# systemctl start httpd.service or systemctl restart httpd.service

start at boot time

[root]# systemctl enable httpd.service

Example: Install php fcgid and php-cli 5.4.32

[root]# yum install mod_fcgid php-cli

Example: Install php-mcrypt and other php modules

[root]# yum install php-mysql php-pdo php-pear php-xml  php-mcrypt php-mbstring

• Centos 6 is more compatible with various software. I would stick to centos 6

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited November 2014

Playing with Wordpress Blog at http://wordpress7.centminmod.com/ with the following and looks good :)

CentOS 7.0 + PHP-FPM 7.0.0-dev + MariaDB 10.0.14 + CSF Firewall

• CentOS 7 is looking too much like Fedora, and I don't like that

• sorry for the newbie question. Does this mean /etc/init.d/nginx start will become systemctl start nginx ?

• edited November 2014

aolee said: sorry for the newbie question. Does this mean /etc/init.d/nginx start will become systemctl start nginx ?

You can use /etc/init.d/[*] if the file is there.
    For now if you type service nginx restart it will redirect to systemctl start nginx.

• @hdpixel said:

Start mysql db

[root]# systemctl start mariadb.service

You don't have to write ".service" at the end of everything. You can just

systemctl [start/stop/enable/disable/status] mariadb

@aolee said:
    sorry for the newbie question. Does this mean /etc/init.d/nginx start will become systemctl start nginx ?

There's no init.d scripts in Centos 7 anymore.

• i am using Centos 6.x , also Centos 7 is better .

• I installed it and didn't realize it was so different. I couldn't figure out the firewall so I reinstalled CentOS 6.x Also didn't realize R1Soft and Interwork didn't work with it either.

• Having used both recently, I have to say I prefer Centos 6. I also find it uses a lot less RAM out of the box compared to 7.

• @FalconInternet said:
    I installed it and didn't realize it was so different. I couldn't figure out the firewall so I reinstalled CentOS 6.x Also didn't realize R1Soft and Interwork didn't work with it either.

Centos 7 has firewalld by default. If you want to keep using iptables:

systemctl stop firewalld
    systemctl disable firewalld
    yum install iptables-services
    systemctl enable iptables
    systemctl start iptables
    iptables --flush
    service iptables save (yes, iptables-services uses the old method)

And configure iptables as usual.

• I prefer CentOS 6 due to CentOS 7 not being fully stable IMO. Also, a lot more repositories are available with CentOS 6 and I like the way they use services more.

• ad0ad0 Member
    edited November 2014

Cent Os 7 is little more heavier

• smansman Member
    edited November 2014

Anyone tried the CE6 to CE7 upgrade tool?
    http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/CentOSUpgradeTool

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

sman said: Anyone tried the CE6 to CE7 upgrade tool? http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/CentOSUpgradeTool

Yeah, it works, we've used it for a few customers.

• socialssocials Member
    edited November 2014

@sman said:
    Anyone tried the CE6 to CE7 upgrade tool?
    http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/CentOSUpgradeTool

To be honest, that sounds like trouble. Too many things could go wrong.

Changing the init system is quite a change internally and I find it very hard to believe a simple "upgrade tool" could handle it well.

Would it update all of sysvinit scripts to systemd services? How would it do it? Upgrade all the packages? What if there isn't a package for PackageX that has a systemd service file bundled in? Even if it has, what if the newer package with systemd service comes with many other changes, maybe the configuration file is completely redesigned?

I'd just do a clean install and migrate everything over.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

hdpixel said: Centos 7 is different, and I've been feeling like I'm re-learning a totally new Linux OS.

For exactly zero benefit. This is what I hate about Linux - things are reimplemented because people are bored or stupid. In the case of systemd, stupid.

socials said: Changed all the commands? They just changed the init system to systemd. So, talking of commands, it's pretty much just

...just changing all your in-house scripts that have worked for a decade. Thanks, systemd.

Blanoz said: I believe that there are aliases for systemd so you can continue using "service foo restart". I'm not advanced enough to throw with shite into this matter more than that.

Unfortunately, this is broken on CentOS 7. If you type 'service blah restart' it will tell you it's redirecting to systemctl, but if that call fails there's no error. At least, that's what I experienced with a typo in my sshd_config. Nice.

To use CentOS 7:

• I have to learn a new way of start/restarting/stopping/configuring services. For no benefit.

• I have to learn firewall-cmd. Again, for no benefit - iptables worked fine.

• Oh, and forget 32-bit. 64-bit only now. Which is insanely stupid because there are plenty of us still running 32-bit VPSes.

Screw this nonsense. CentOS 7 just disillusioned me from Linux altogether, though my opinion of the OS was already pretty low. I was already a strong fan of *BSD and now I've moved most of my systems to it and will likely only buy it in the future. I'll miss cheap OpenVZ but KVM is not that much more.

• raindog308 said: CentOS 7 just disillusioned me from Linux altogether

It's awful . . . it's what you get when a bunch of hipsters attempt to build an OS. Worth mentioning, you can install and use iptables, thank christ.

• edited November 2014

Now I am getting the most annoying bug with CentOS 7 and nginx: The shared pool page will be full after a while so I had to restart nginx everyday...
    It never happen on the old Centos 6 with the same config even after 3 years running nonstop. Upgrade nginx to 1.7 doesn't help either...

• socialssocials Member
    edited November 2014

@raindog308 said:

...just changing all your in-house scripts that have worked for a decade. Thanks, systemd.

Yeah, I guess that sucks if you were using custom init scripts. But with MINIMAL effort you can convert those to systemd scripts. Really, it's like 3 minutes of googling and 5 minutes of actually doing it.

And I get what you're saying, I don't like forced upgrades too, but sometimes they really are needed. Sysvinit and it's shell-script-services was/is a fucking mess with no rules and real consistency. Systemd was a needed upgrade and it's the future. Every major distro is planning on going over to systemd.

Unfortunately, this is broken on CentOS 7. If you type 'service blah restart' it will tell you it's redirecting to systemctl, but if that call fails there's no error. At least, that's what I experienced with a typo in my sshd_config. Nice.
    I have to learn a new way of start/restarting/stopping/configuring services. For no benefit.

It's not hard to remember the command "systemctl" instead of "service". With systemd it's much easier to manage services and everything is consistent. For example, in Centos 6 you had "chkconfig" for enabling/disabling services and "service" for starting/stopping. Now it's all done through systemctl.

Also, all the added built-in features like starting a service under a specified user/group, different service types (forking, oneshot) etc makes creating/configuring services more flexible and easier.

I have to learn firewall-cmd. Again, for no benefit - iptables worked fine.

You don't have to learn firewalld. iptables still works fine on Centos 7.

Oh, and forget 32-bit. 64-bit only now. Which is insanely stupid because there are plenty of us still running 32-bit VPSes.

32bit is coming, don't worry.