Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can I run an email server, ownCloud and ZNC on 256MB?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can I run an email server, ownCloud and ZNC on 256MB?

Hey! I'm a newbie to VPS's, and I am considering buying a 256MB server from RamNode. I want to use it to host a simple email server (only 1 account), an ownCloud server (1 account) and a ZNC IRC bouncer (also 1 account). Would I be able to do this on just 256MB?

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

yep. obviously you will have some limits but you should be able to manage that fine.

Thanked by 1Azure
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

E-Mail + ZNC on 64MB Yes, OwnCloud on 128MB Yes so i would say Yes, better would if you have some swap left.

Thanked by 1Azure
  • I run OpenVPN, OwnCloud and psyBNC at 128MB Ramnode vps.

• AzureAzure Member
    edited November 2014

@Spirit said:
    I run OpenVPN, OwnCloud and psyBNC at 128MB Ramnode vps.

Out of curiosity, may I ask how much of that 128MB is being used on normal load?

• If you have a lot of files, Owncloud would be hard pressed to run in 256MB between its PHP files and MySQL requirements.

At a minimum, you'd need to turn off indexing and encryption.

• 
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           128         95         32          0          0         80
    -/+ buffers/cache:         15        112
    Swap:          128         51         76

It's not much left, but your 256MB should be OK.

Thanked by 1Azure
  • @joshin said:
    If you have a lot of files, Owncloud would be hard pressed to run in 256MB between its PHP files and MySQL requirements.

At a minimum, you'd need to turn off indexing and encryption.

What do you mean by "a lot"? What about say 50GB or 120GB?

• edited November 2014

It's not the total disk space, it's the number of files/folders to be indexed.

For a personal mail, personal Owncloud, and personal bouncer, 256MB is more than adequate.

• My OwnCloud install is 25k files. The database is 92MB and you really want indexing of that data happening in RAM.

Between the VSS size of the PHP files and estimating how MySQL best uses memory, my install probably takes around 512M. (My install is on a server with 96GB, so I'm not watching it too closely.)

Try it. What's the worst that could happen?

Thanked by 2Spirit Azure
  • @Spirit said:
    I run OpenVPN, OwnCloud and psyBNC at 128MB Ramnode vps.

How'd' you manage that!?

• It's not like BNC eat any resources at all. VPN? Maybe a little. So main factor is OwnCloud, but I don't have so much files as Joshin above. Not even close to that. It's just for small personal usage.

• @Spirit said:
    It's not like BNC eat any resources at all. VPN? Maybe a little. So main factor is OwnCloud, but I don't have so much files as Joshin above. Not even close to that. It's just for small personal usage.

Can I have an idea of how many files you have?

• BlanozBlanoz Member
    edited November 2014

For OwnCloud, use SQLite instead of MySQL - if you don't have alot of files.

• This specific VPS is used for nightly cPanel backups (ie. approximately 20 cPanel accounts transferred over night, with 14 days rotation = 280 backup files) + some personal stuff add another 200 files or so. Like said, nothing close to Joshin, but keep in mind that this is 128MB vps.

• @Blanoz said:
    For OwnCloud, use SQLite instead of MySQL - if you don't have alot of files.

Is about 2,500 files a lot?

• David_P said: @Spirit said: I run OpenVPN, OwnCloud and psyBNC at 128MB Ramnode vps.

How'd' you manage that!?

By using 51 MB of swap :)

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited November 2014

@sleddog said:
    By using 51 MB of swap :)

VSwap, which is just slower memory. Plus only 15MB of regular physical memory used.

• joshin said: At a minimum, you'd need to turn off indexing and encryption.

What would be the downside of turning off indexing?

• said: Would I be able to do this on just 256MB?

You will also need to forgo any type of reliable anti-spam. Spamassassin and ASSP use at least 200MB of ram for corpus checking.

• msg7086 said: VSwap, which is just slower memory. Plus only 15MB of regular physical memory used.

It's still swap, and using that much on a 128 MB box suggests that the memory limit was reached or exceeded at some point. Current memory usages is irrelevant.

Silvenga said: You will also need to forgo any type of reliable anti-spam. Spamassassin and ASSP use at least 200MB of ram for corpus checking.

Very true.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Keep in mind upload file size limit on owncloud is RAM.

• @shovenose said:

Is it? So I wouldn't be able to upload a 2GB file or something?

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Affirmative.

• @shovenose said:
    Affirmative.

I guess I'll need to completely reconsider how I'm going to use the VPS then. Thanks for informing me of that.

• AzureAzure Member
    edited November 2014

@shovenose said:

Done some web searches, and I don't see anyone else saying that. I see that 32bit systems cap it at 2GB, but I don't see anything about RAM capping the upload size.

• @Azure said:

Turning off indexing make for much slower finding of files.

My install really isn't that big. Just 15 years worth of family & vacation photos. With digital cameras, the #'s add up fast.

Thanked by 1ndlong75