Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BGP routed IPs geolocation?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BGP routed IPs geolocation?

If an IP address block is routed through BGP from an ISP in Canada to a server in Los Angeles, California will the IP be geolocated to Los Angeles, California? If I inserted the IP in something like this: http://www.infosniper.net/ would it show Los Angeles or Canada?

Comments

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Usually the information from the IP whois (owner) is used.

• @conlustro said:
    If an IP address block is routed through BGP from an ISP in Canada to a server in Los Angeles, California will the IP be geolocated to Los Angeles, California? If I inserted the IP in something like this: http://www.infosniper.net/ would it show Los Angeles or Canada?

If there is proper SWIP to an org/address in Los Angeles, then it should show Los Angeles. Keep in mind that most geolocation DB's are from by MaxMind and it can take a few months for them to update it.

• conlustroconlustro Member
    edited November 2014

@SplitIce said:
    Usually the information from the IP whois (owner) is used.

I know this isn't true because I've had IPs whois'ed to me months ago and it still shows where the server is located in the IP map, and it is different than my whois info.

• @conlustro said:
    If an IP address block is routed through BGP...

I hate to break it to you, but ALL IP addresses are routed using BGP. Well, all those except for private addresses, anyway, but even those sometimes end up being advertised for some reason.

Thanked by 1shovenose
  • @petris said:
    I hate to break it to you, but ALL IP addresses are routed using BGP.

Yes exactly, so that's why the IP location will show where the IPs are physicaly routed using BGP.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. If someone leases IPs from a Canadian ISP and the routes them to a server in LA using BGP then the IPs should show a geolocation of LA, just like my home IP shows up on a map near where I'm located.

I don't think this has anything to do with a maxmind database, it just where the IPs are on the server their routed to, but maybe I'm wrong.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@conlustro said:
    I know this isn't true because I've had IPs whois'ed to me months ago and it still shows where the server is located in the IP map, and it is different than my whois info.
    PetaByet said: most geolocation DB's are from by MaxMind and it can take a few months for them to update it.

Getting our IPs which were whois'ed to us, the owners (APNIC members) in Australia geolocated to Romania took the best part of 6 months. Australia being the country in the Whois (and it actually still is, we used the db update request system).

SWIP is likely not considered if that is what you are eluding to. I mean I wouldn't consider it, firstly the blocks are small and unpredictable - secondly the data is likely less accurate in regards to where the server is located.